What would you like to see in a war film?

DARKSIDE72

Sr Member
We've seen within the past two decades many well made war films...SPR, Band of Brothers, BlackHawk Down, Sole Survivor...Fury, etc,etc, and soon American Sniper (The Chris Kyle Story) I want to see the Ariel battles of WWII done justice... British, starting with North Africa, Battle of Briton, and ending with the Dam busters. I just don't think it's ever been done justice.

There was a book made about the Vietnam Hellicopter experience called "the Chicken-hawk". by Robert Mason. His telling of the trials he went through were utterly terrifying to read. Not to mention the detail of his writing... one would think they could jump in a Huey and fly the dammed thing!

What do you want to see???

Many years ago John Carpenter had an option on Chickenhawk but that was as far as it went. There are many personal stories in Nam by Mark Baker that would make excellent movie material as well. Or the story of Carlos Hatchock, marine sniper.

My grandfather died without ever telling me his own stories from WWII. A friggin shame.

My favorite hands down is Band Of Brothers. I prefer real events as opposed to fictional war stories, hopefully as accurately depicted as allowed by dramatic convention. After all, it's still a movie. When it's over the viewer should go home and research what really happened and what those people went through.

I would like to see more WWI in movies and video games as well.. So much happened that would make a great story but it almost seems like the forgotten war since WWII is always the focus.

My grandfather died without ever telling me his own stories from WWII. A friggin shame.

Its tough when so many don't want to talk about it.. My great grandfather served and participated in the invasion of Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge as a sniper.. We only know a couple stories about his time there but I wish I could know more. We've been meaning to try and get access to his military records to try and get an idea. My grandfather lived in Italy during the war, pretty much right at the base of Monte Cassino and has quite a few amazing stories as well.

I would like to see more WWI in movies and video games as well.. So much happened that would make a great story but it almost seems like the forgotten war since WWII is always the focus.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. As much as I like WW2 history, WW1 is by far my favorite war to learn about. I had kinda hoped with it being the 100th anniversary of WW1, that they might take a crack at All Quiet on the Western Front again, but that, unfortunately, never happened. I think its forgotten more here in the US because of our limited involvement in it compared to WW2 where we were fighting for almost 4 years. Its a shame, since there is so much to learn from it

The polish side of the story, not how the USA portrays how the war happened...

They never were recognised for the things they did...

You meant the Little Mermaid fought in WW II? I had no idea.:D
reminds me of
post_apocalyptic_ariel_02.jpg

The polish side of the story, not how the USA portrays how the war happened...

They never were recognised for the things they did...
Look for Polish films if you want the Polish perspective, right? I haven't seen all of these yet.

91NISLzYjnL._SL1500_.jpg

3760098460472.jpg

demony-wojny-wg-goi.jpg

7397956.3.jpg

tpotn.jpg

The Tin Drum
Die_Blechtrommel.jpg

Yeah, wacky book, too. I think I read part of it (or all of it) for a class on German post-modern literature in college. It does take place in Poland, though, you're right about that.

For those wanting to see more Polish exploits, there's a bit in The Battle of Britain that depicts some of the actions of a Polish fighter group. I don't think it applies to any historical moment (a training squadron runs into a flight of German fighters, and the Poles disobey orders and take down the Germans, after which they're elevated to operational status), but it at least makes a point of crediting the Poles and later Czechs and Canadians who fought in the battle.

Last edited:
Another thought.. I hear that Fury represents a tank crew really well (I haven't seen it yet) it'd be cool to take that concept and make a film about a B-17 crew. Perhaps during some of the missions they flew prior to D-Day

I would like to see a good WW2 film done from the German perspective. A "Battle of Kursk" movie would be awesome!

Another good one, would be an adaptation of "The Forgotten Soldier". It's about a young half German/half French boy from Alsace, who volunteers for the Wehrmacht after being impressed by some German soldiers he saw during the invasion of France. He is very quickly thrown into the horrors of battle on the eastern front. He develops a close friendship with a few German buddies. The book does an amazing job describing day to day actions of this close knot group and their hope to survive the horrors and make it back home. Also a nice reminder that some German soldiers were just normal people and not raving lunatic nazzies looking for atrocities to commit.

I'd love to see Halo playing, trash-talking kids get into a real environment and realize they are not in an air conditioned room, eating cheetos, picking up health packs while endlessly sprinting.

Like Paris (I think that was Bloom's character) in Troy, overly romanticized until he gets a boo boo. The old fart being right...and we liked it!

I would like to see a good WW2 film done from the German perspective. A "Battle of Kursk" movie would be awesome!

Another good one, would be an adaptation of "The Forgotten Soldier". It's about a young half German/half French boy from Alsace, who volunteers for the Wehrmacht after being impressed by some German soldiers he saw during the invasion of France. He is very quickly thrown into the horrors of battle on the eastern front. He develops a close friendship with a few German buddies. The book does an amazing job describing day to day actions of this close knot group and their hope to survive the horrors and make it back home. Also a nice reminder that some German soldiers were just normal people and not raving lunatic nazzies looking for atrocities to commit.

Well, it's SUPER bleak, but you should check out the 1993 film Stalingrad. Suffice to say, it's not a fun jaunt.

It's also generally pretty inaccurate, but there's also The Desert Fox (starring James Mason!).

I gather there's a new Stalingrad film produces in 2013, but I suspect this is less from the German perspective, and more a mix of perspectives. If you want other German perspective films, I'd strongly recommend Judgment at Nuremberg.

And for WW1 films, there's The Red Baron, although I wasn't that impressed with the film.

some other interesting treatments:

Soldier of Orange - 1977 - directed by Paul Verhoven starring Rutger Hauer. About students in the Netherlands during the German occupation.

Secret Army - british miniseries that takes place in German occupied Belgium about an underground movement that smuggles downed RAF pilots across enemy lines. First season especially is engaging with many plot twists. I believe it's loosely based on real historical figures.

I'd like to see real historical accuracy as much as possible, not the slap to the face crap that happened in Pearl Harbor where so much was wrong or ignored.

I'd like to see a WWII film about the British creating the Commando units and forming the template of what would become modern day special forces.

EDIT: Just for further clarification, no crap love stories to be included, no typical cliche military dramatic nonsense, just soldiers being trained and carrying out covert ops. Growing up my elderly neighbor down the street was a Canadian commando in WWII. Had some great stories.

I love movies with American soldiers, but I'd like to see more focused on the other Allied countries. So having said that, I'd like a movie about Darby's Rangers. Those were the first US Army Rangers, but they were trained by British commandos. Then I'd like a new updated version of the Black Devil Brigade about the 1st Special Service Force (US and Canadian troops). Well I'll actually watch anything about WW2. :lol

Its tough when so many don't want to talk about it.. My great grandfather served and participated in the invasion of Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge as a sniper.. We only know a couple stories about his time there but I wish I could know more. We've been meaning to try and get access to his military records to try and get an idea. My grandfather lived in Italy during the war, pretty much right at the base of Monte Cassino and has quite a few amazing stories as well.

One of my grandfathers died in his 70s so I never got to ask him about his service. All I know is that he was in the Philipines and took a real wakazashi off of an officer. My other grandfather was on an airfield crash crew in Italy which would rescue pilots in crashed planes or put out fires. Last Sun. when we were at my mom and dad's house we were watching a WW2 show and they were talking about the JU87 Stuka and they were mentioning the dive sirens. He said "Huh, that's what that sound was. Our airfield got bombed and I thought that sound was the bombs." My mom said he's been talking more recently about the war than she's ever heard. It's just weird hearing them talk about this stuff when all you remember is them being older. It was surprising hearing him telling about chasing B-17s down the runway to get a ride somewhere for leave.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back