Avengers: Infinity War (Pre-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Avengers: Infinity War

I also noticed he hasnt posted here since. Kinda funny, causes an uproar, then doesnt even follow through with it. Usually people like that arent so lazy. :lol

or they vanish from the board after a thread is spent, having used up all their anger energy, narry to be seen again..
at least for a few months :).

How do you guys feel about Josh Brolin as Thanos?

I'm a big fan. I have loved every Brolin performance I've seen, most notably The Goonies (kid Brolin), Sicario, and No Country for Old Men. I've never read any Marvel comics, so I don't know how well his Guardians bit matched up with the comic book Thanos, but I love that scene. He seems really intimidating and arrogant, which is great.

I did just pick up the entire Infinity Gauntlet comic, so I'm going to start reading that soon in preparation for Infinity War.

Snikt said:
I also noticed he hasnt posted here since. Kinda funny, causes an uproar, then doesnt even follow through with it. Usually people like that arent so lazy.

Given that I've been receiving "You have been quoted" notices on a daily basis from this thread alone, you could say I've just been sitting back and enjoying the show. But ok. I'll indulge.

Why is it okay to have a white woman play a traditionally Asian male role, (Dr. Strange) but if a white man plays a traditionally white character? Oh golly, grab your ****ing pitchforks.. It's hypocritical.. and personally? I only see these stupid race oriented discussions dividing us. I'd almost say it falls under the political talk and shouldn't even be on this board to be honest... Further more, the sheer irony of a white male saying how or when a colored or female person should be portrayed I hope hasn't escaped us....

I wouldn't say that the casting of Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One was met with an 'okay' reception by those who knew about the character, let alone feminists. You can certainly see the good intentions coming from Kevin Feige as he makes the point about changing one of MCU's most wisest and powerful characters into a woman. But as is often the case when guys dictate the roles of female characters in male dominated movies, good intentions don't always equal good results. The casting, the portrayal, the marketing and finally the bit where they just kill her off pretty much destroyed whatever hopes they had for the character. She serves one purpose and dies. Yay for more female roles for MCU...

cboath said:
If Marvel began with Black Panther instead of Iron Man, i wouldn't have seen it. Nothing to do with race, but everything to do with the fact as a non-comic reader - i had no idea who he was.
There's a remedy for that kind of problem. It's called trailers. They show you enough clips to understand what the movie is about and introduce you to the characters without showing you their entire journey (Well, some trailers at least). And that is only the start of what trailers are meant to do. They're usually released months in advance of the movie's premier which gives audiences ample time to get to know the character through other mediums. You've got your already mentioned comic books that you could get into. Nothing beats knowing a character than going to the source material! But if you don't want to get into comics, go find articles written about the character. There's got to be at least five articles written about every comic book character by this point. If you've got a friend who is into comics, strike up a conversation about the character and see what they know. I do that all the time with my comic book buddies.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, I don't buy your "I wouldn't have seen it" argument because there are so many factors that can get a crowd to see a movie even if they haven't seen any previews for it. I bet you've seen movies for reasons that still befuddle you. I know I have.

And why would anyone let a little thing like "I don't know who that character is" stop them from seeing a movie?

Snikt said:
Regarding a female led super heroine movie, if you switch out Chris Hemsworth for a woman, what would that bring to the story? What would that change to where you are like "oh man that was awesome! A woman super hero! I never imagined Thor having boobs would totally make the character different and more compelling!"
Jane-Foster-Thor_zps4wz1gkqk.jpg

Series is still on going and has generated quite a following.

Snikt said:
Seriously, I dont understand. You know what a Black Widow movie would be like? Columbiana, starring your favorite, Zoe Saldana Or Salt. Or Wanted, sort of. I dont get why everyone is clamoring for a BW movie, when it would just be "generic action/spy thriller". Its been done to death, and doesnt need to be made. That could be a reason why they havent made it yet, or, because it doesnt fit into the MCU and the grand scale of things.
All this talk about needing Marvel movies to establish characters before giving them a full movie, and now with a well established character still full of story leading potential, you just cut her off because movies involving female spies has been done before. And maybe the idea of the movie not fitting in with the MCU is just the kind of thing the MCU needs. Because you know what else doesn't fit the MCU? The Marvel Netflix series. That side of the MCU contains bloody violence, brutal torture scenes, on-screen depictions of sex and very strong language. Has that been regarded as a failure?... Heck, I'm of the opinion that the Marvel Netflix series contains some of the best MCU material to date. I know by being a part of the MCU it makes it a much richer universe.

Seriously, don't look at a potential Black Widow movie and say it shouldn't be done for no other reason than 'it's been done before'. That's just lazy. Don't think of reasons why it shouldn't work. Think of ways of trying to make it work! Work out the problem.

@Jeyl Dude. You still havent answered ANY of my questions. Showing me a picture of female Thor doesnt answer a single thing. Yup. Its Thor with boobs and red lips. What does that change to the character? What does that add to the Thor mythos? Please tell me.

Regarding the Black Widow movie...I wouldnt want to see that because its boring and been done to death. Same reason I wouldnt want to see a Hawkeye movie...the character doesnt need to have his own movie, because compared to the other heroes, he simply isnt worth it.

Because movie studios arent going to bet 200 million dollars on a couple trailers and be like "lets hope this gets asses in seats", thats why. Dont you know how forumulaic and safe Hollywood is? The idea of a superhero movie marketed like a super hero movie that isnt Batman, Superman, or Spiderman was a HUGE risk. Luckily it paid off. If Iron Man wasnt as good as it was, there wouldnt be ANY of these movies. There would be no MCU, or whatever the hell DC is doing either...

Yeah, the Netflix series are aimed at adults. Adults who dont buy toys, or lunchboxes or any type of merchandise. I have only seen Daredevil, not the other shows, and yes, I thought it was awesome. Would I have thought that characters arc could be wrapped up in a two hour movie? No. Do I think it works as a low budget Netflix series because it fits the character? Yes. From what I have heard though, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage arent very good compared to Daredevil. And have you even heard of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage before the netflix series? That was a huge gamble. The reason those characters were given a shot, was to set up the defenders, which is a small time gang of heroes in hells kitchen with generic powers. Hell, Daredevil barely has powers. Nobody needs to see that on the big screen. Marvel and Netflix must think the same thing, cause newsflash, they are on TV and not in the movies.

Thats not the only reason, but thats definitelyis one of them. ITS NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME!!! Its only a problem for people like you!

The other thing I dont get, people like you NEVER talk about the GOOD things that have been done. Its only the negative. I never understood that either. Instead of saying "they made a really obscure character series on Netflix about a woman, or hey, a female Super Hero with powers we actually want to see on the big screen is being made, so thats awesome". All you do is bitch that you have to wait. And that its taken too long.

I'm a big fan. I have loved every Brolin performance I've seen, most notably The Goonies (kid Brolin), Sicario, and No Country for Old Men. I've never read any Marvel comics, so I don't know how well his Guardians bit matched up with the comic book Thanos, but I love that scene. He seems really intimidating and arrogant, which is great.

I did just pick up the entire Infinity Gauntlet comic, so I'm going to start reading that soon in preparation for Infinity War.
I kinda wish they altered his voice more. I like Josh Brolin, but I wish they got a no name person to be his voice, I hear too much of Josh in it. I love the actor, but when you read the comic, you want thanos to be thanos. Not someone you already know. Oh man. When I first read that comic as a kid in the 90s, I never would have DREAMED that they would make a whole series of movies around that story line. I screamed at the end of Avengers when they showed Thanos. I thought it was just a cameo for the nerds, and now its a full blown thing. I might cry at the end of Infinity War :lol Enjoy the book though! Its definitely one of my favorites!

@Jeyl Dude. You still havent answered ANY of my questions. Showing me a picture of female Thor doesnt answer a single thing. Yup. Its Thor with boobs and red lips. What does that change to the character? What does that add to the Thor mythos? Please tell me.

It's Jane Foster.

Jeyl

Trailers would work if they were used that way - but frankly they aren't any more - by and large. It's here's a few action scenes and some comic bits - Come watch! Tells you little about the flick itself.

I've seen plenty of movies on disc or HBO or whatever that turned out to be pretty good and the trailers were anywhere from just bad to horrific. Totally missing the point, style, and mood of the movie itself. So, I think Black Panther will do great when it releases in a year or two, but if it were the first marvel flick, it would likely have fallen flat. No marvel track record and virtually unknown here isn't going to be a smash hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

@Jeyl

Trailers would work if they were used that way - but frankly they aren't any more - by and large. It's here's a few action scenes and some comic bits - Come watch! Tells you little about the flick itself.

I've seen plenty of movies on disc or HBO or whatever that turned out to be pretty good and the trailers were anywhere from just bad to horrific. Totally missing the point, style, and mood of the movie itself. So, I think Black Panther will do great when it releases in a year or two, but if it were the first marvel flick, it would likely have fallen flat. No marvel track record and virtually unknown here isn't going to be a smash hit.

Oh, I'm not saying that Black Panther wouldn't have been a failure if it was the first MCU movie released. There's no real way of knowing how it would have turned out if that were the case. I just don't buy into the idea that one can say with absolute certainty that they wouldn't have seen the movie if it was released first when there's no way of proving it. Just like how there's no real way to prove that a Black Widow movie will be a flop. Being unoriginal and doing the same schtick over and over again is not hampering the MCU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ever hear Joe Russo speak? His voice sounds a lot like Tom Cruise's voice.

If you watch Deadpool, the old black lady,,,,sorry,,, the Elderly African-American Woman. WAIT,,, What the Hellll. This is Deadpool! Ok , back to the post, she has one of the Infinity stones. When they're doing the sexy holding hands scene, Take a look of her middle finger. Same shape and color of the stone in the center of the glove in the comics

And the fight will come to Earth to get the last Stone

Last edited:

If you watch Deadpool, the old black lady,,,,sorry,,, the Elderly African-American Woman. WAIT,,, What the Hellll. This is Deadpool! Ok , back to the post, she has one of the Infinity stones. When they're doing the sexy holding hands scene, Take a look of her middle finger. Same shape and color of the stone in the center of the glove in the comics

And the fight will come to Earth to get the last Stone
While that would be super fun to think about, and for it to be, Deadpool is owned by fox, not Marvel/Disney, so they couldnt do that. Still though, that would have been rad.

- - - Updated - - -

It's Jane Foster.
Yeah, I know...and she has cancer or something. That doesnt answer anything. What does being a woman add to the character of Thor? Why does it matter?

IMG_3723.JPGIMG_3724.JPGThey just started shooting in Edinburgh, here's a couple of photos of a fake taxi company and inside Waverley Train Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back