Thor: Ragnarok

Thor with two swords? Psssshhh King thor used a hammer and sword.

I want to see jarnbjorn. Big *** axe. That would be awesome to see in this movie.

If you are following the new comics, unworthy Thor has a similar haircut, although in the comics it doesn't look like gel in the hair...

My thoughts exactly!!!!! I am following the new comics, so this definitely rings a bell for me and makes me wonder if there will be aspects of the new comics in this movie.

EW: Where is Natalie Portman's Jane Foster in Thor: Ragnarok?

WARNING! Jeyl's typical rant below.

Thor and Jane broke up. Well, we knew that detail was going to be inevitable (happened with Tony and Pepper already), but Kevin Feige had to come out and re-assure us that our manly god of thunder wouldn't be without a female love-interest to work off of!

“We wanted Thor to encounter somebody that was near his equal and that his relationship with Jane may have evolved in unexpected ways in between The Dark World and Ragnarok and we wanted to pit him against a character who was much more his equal and in many ways his superior,”​

"his equal". Our Marvel ladies either measure up to the male hero or they're nothing? What kind of standards are we running here? And this isn't just a big 'screw you' to Jane Foster who ironically enough does become Thor's equal by literally becoming Thor in the comics, but to Sif as well. Feige continues.

“Valkyrie is trying to not embrace any sort of Asgardian heritage that she has. Thor thinks maybe that will create a bond between them and, on the contrary, she wants to forget it all entirely.”​

Because Sif wasn't Asgardian enough apparently. They spent two movies and a whole episode in Agents of SHIELD establishing that Sif has feelings towards Thor and now it's all boiled down to nothing. And don't tell me that heritage thing is meant to show how tough she is. This is just going to be another one of those tropes where the male hero lectures the female character about how wrong her views are and how she needs to 'lighten up' in order to truly be happy. But hey! If Valkyrie doesn't pan out in the end, at least we'll know that she can always be replaced by someone who can be more 'equal' to Thor.

Thor's equal. Has Kevin even read a single issue of Thor's comic in the past two years?

I think they were hinting that Natalie Portman had no interest in doing this one. I was kind of surprised after doing SW she would do anything that wasn't "serious acting".

I think they were hinting that Natalie Portman had no interest in doing this one. I was kind of surprised after doing SW she would do anything that wasn't "serious acting".

there may have been a 'star wars curse' with the prequel movies, but it's what shot her to fame, IMHO.

should be happy to have anything that comes along.especially a marvel movie these days.

Thor found out her middle name is Phyllis and avoids her.

raw

EW: Where is Natalie Portman's Jane Foster in Thor: Ragnarok?

WARNING! Jeyl's typical rant below.

Thor and Jane broke up. Well, we knew that detail was going to be inevitable (happened with Tony and Pepper already), but Kevin Feige had to come out and re-assure us that our manly god of thunder wouldn't be without a female love-interest to work off of!
“We wanted Thor to encounter somebody that was near his equal and that his relationship with Jane may have evolved in unexpected ways in between The Dark World and Ragnarok and we wanted to pit him against a character who was much more his equal and in many ways his superior,”​

"his equal". Our Marvel ladies either measure up to the male hero or they're nothing? What kind of standards are we running here? And this isn't just a big 'screw you' to Jane Foster who ironically enough does become Thor's equal by literally becoming Thor in the comics, but to Sif as well. Feige continues.
“Valkyrie is trying to not embrace any sort of Asgardian heritage that she has. Thor thinks maybe that will create a bond between them and, on the contrary, she wants to forget it all entirely.”​

Because Sif wasn't Asgardian enough apparently. They spent two movies and a whole episode in Agents of SHIELD establishing that Sif has feelings towards Thor and now it's all boiled down to nothing. And don't tell me that heritage thing is meant to show how tough she is. This is just going to be another one of those tropes where the male hero lectures the female character about how wrong her views are and how she needs to 'lighten up' in order to truly be happy. But hey! If Valkyrie doesn't pan out in the end, at least we'll know that she can always be replaced by someone who can be more 'equal' to Thor.

Thor's equal. Has Kevin even read a single issue of Thor's comic in the past two years?
Yeah Im pretty sure by "equal" he means warrior maiden from asgard and not a squishy human scientist. Ever think that they couldnt get Jamie Alexander(sif) back into the movie because its a conflict with her TV show, so they decided to create a new character instead of recast her? How do you get that they are "nothing" when you read that? Thats insane to me. Im a man. Am I a fictional characters equal? No, this isnt a trope, this is due to the logistics of a multi million dollar movie/business. I personally would rather see a new character be cast than re cast Sif as someone else. I think it was dumb that they made Jane Foster a love interest at all, that was one of the things I found most unbeliavble in those movies, that a warrior like Thor would be even slightly interested in some lame scientist from an "inferior" realm. But hey. Im not a writer.

Why would he? They arent basing the movies off of Jane Fosters Thor, because newsflash, that isnt Thor. Thor Odinson is Thor. But youre really reaching here Jeyl. Like, badly.

Im not a writer.

Don't let that stop you from what you're about to say next...

They arent basing the movies off of Jane Fosters Thor, because newsflash, that isnt Thor. Thor Odinson is Thor.

Well, you're not writing Thor for Marvel. The writer who is writing Thor for Marvel, Jason Aaron, does have Jane Foster as Thor and it's a great take on the mythos. And while of course we still have Thor Odinson as the Thor in the movies, that doesn't mean that a Jane Foster Thor wouldn't work later down the line.

Don't let that stop you from what you're about to say next...

Well, you're not writing Thor for Marvel. The writer who is writing Thor for Marvel, Jason Aaron, does have Jane Foster as Thor and it's a great take on the mythos. And while of course we still have Thor Odinson as the Thor in the movies, that doesn't mean that a Jane Foster Thor wouldn't work later down the line.
Whenever this comes up you never answer me. What does Thor being a female add to the CHARACTER OF THOR? Gender/race swapping the characters only caters to people like you. And the real comic book fans, you know, the ones that grew up with these characters know that its just to try and stay relevant and because of the political landscape. Look up diamond distributors, and it will show you who the popular iterations of these characters are.

I ask again, as a woman, what does Jane Foster bring to the mythos of Thor?

Gender/race swapping the characters only caters to people like you.

People like me... Uh, people who want to see a wider range of diverse representation that's not limited to supporting roles? What exactly is the problem with that?

Why don't you search around the internet and ask actual female comic book readers that question? I would sooner listen to what they would have to say on the matter than spending all this time trying to justify why I like it to you. And believe, I have.

Not really sure what i'm trying to get at with the below, but just regarding your point about thor and jane..

Just going by the movies, since i don't read the comics...

I always love it when normal human characters get involved with the supernatural ones, and show that they can either match the knowledge of the 'superior' beings, or learn to adapt to go with it.

Videl in Dragonball Z is a great example (who would probably be a rather unlikable character if done today, to cater to the girl power, kill all men attitude people have these days)....and one of my favorite characters in the newer era of DBZ.

In this case, I could see someone like thor going for someone like jane precisely because she isn't like sif. He see's LOADS of sif's on his world. jane is something a little different, a thinker :).

But yeah, Race and gender and orientation switching, is nothing more than pandering and throwing people a bone. if studios really cared, we'd be seeing LOADS of characters that are ORIGINAL coming out in the last few years alone. but we arn't... so it basically shows they are big hypocrites in their own belief that they think it's time for more diverse characters to pop up.

People like me... Uh, people who want to see a wider range of diverse representation that's not limited to supporting roles? What exactly is the problem with that?

Why don't you search around the internet and ask actual female comic book readers that question? I would sooner listen to what they would have to say on the matter than spending all this time trying to justify why I like it to you. And believe, I have.
Yes, people like you. The type of people that only see what they want to see regarding "social justice" and "unfair woman representation", that only bitch and moan for the sake of it. You never see the progress that is made. I cant wait for Captain Marvel to come out so you will shut up. Gimme a break. The problem is that THOR ISNT A WOMAN. The movie isnt called "Jane Foster: Science Lady" its called Thor 3 Ragnarok.

My girlfriend thinks the Thor comics right now are crap, and she isnt reading them. Dude, youre ridiculous, you duck my question EVERY time. Its the same in the other threads too, you never have an answer. Im starting to believe your answer is to either a) **** people off or b) cause a ruckus, which is essentially the same thing. I guess thats what I get for feeding the troll.

So what would you say if they gender swapped Wonder Woman? Black Widow? Huntress? Any other female superhero, how would that make you feel?

My girlfriend thinks the Thor comics right now are crap, and she isnt reading them. Dude, youre ridiculous, you duck my question EVERY time. Its the same in the other threads too, you never have an answer. Im starting to believe your answer is to either a) **** people off or b) cause a ruckus, which is essentially the same thing. I guess thats what I get for feeding the troll.

we all fall for it sometimes. my first few postings here, I guess i must have had the mark of a sucker, cause i fell for the false rage routine. needless to say i quickly learned how to use the ignore button after that countless times over and lifes been better ever since :).

Can we just give Jeyl his own little soap box thread, and boot him from movie threads? That way, those of us who have all the crayons in the box can discuss the ****ING MOVIE?

I'd like to, just for once, see a thread that he doesn't make about his little mission to save all those poor discriminated women. Blocking him is honestly not enough at this point.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back