Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Post-release)

TBH I just about fell asleep 40 minutes in. I didn't find Newt terribly engaging and the reveal of the zoo in the briefcase halfway through the movie (where he finally shows some life) came far too late to save my interest. Also, the magical terror watch meter thing just fell flat for me. I know it only showed up like twice but both times it just reminded me how terrible the real world can be and I can do without. I give the film a solid meh.

I LOVED this movie! It was just packed with charming and wonderous things and you really feel like Jacob Kowalski through most of it...in awe at the marvelous creatures and complicated world of witches and wizards. I'm not saying it didn't have flaws. Like most movies these days it relied too heavily on CGI effects. I wish they had used the real Ron Perlman in makeup as a ganster goblin, and the CGI female goblin nightclub singer took me out of the moment. I think some of the background character reactions were very wooden to non-existant, and the CGI obscurus effects were a little too long. But the animals were spectacularly done and the other special effects were wonderful! Ilove the storyline Rowling is building here and being in 'the world' again was nostalgic and heart-warming. This was great fun and full of surprizes!
:thumbsup :thumbsup

Just saw it. Overall I liked it. There were parts that really seemed to drag out, and also it felt sort of like a marvel movie, where they couldn't seem to be able to decide if they wanted the tone to be humorous or dark. I'm definitely excited to see the rest! Also I really want Matt Smith to play...
...Newt's brother, the war hero, Theseus Scamander

That would be perfect casting, there's definitely a resemblance and I kept on getting a Doctor vibe from Newt throughout the movie.

That would be perfect casting, there's definitely a resemblance and I kept on getting a Doctor vibe from Newt throughout the movie.

Absolutely, and Matt Smith definitely looks old enough to be a more grizzled, rough character, especially heading into the war with Grindelwald and WWII. Plus just how they form their sentences and words are very similar as well.

I thought it was enjoyable, but nothing really wowed me that much. It seemed like Newt really should've been using his "accio" spell a lot more. Would've made his life a lot easier.

Wouldn't be a Rowling film without the post climactic Scooby Doo reveal that carries no emotional weight whatsoever because most viewers had no idea who Grindelwald was nor any idea why they should care, despite the poorly done whirlwind of magical newspapers in the opening credits.

- - - Updated - - -

And I wanted a Quibbler connection. And Nargles. Where were the Nargles????

I was just happy to be back in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I thought it had its ups and downs, but it had more ups and a lot of charm. Totally different tone than HP. It was like they took the tone of the last Deathly Hollows and continued from there. I was not expecting that, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Doubt the Quibbler is around yet, it seemed like a Lovegood owned and operated paper.

The Lovegoods had to come from somewhere. I doubt they "magically" just appeared in the 1960's.

Ha - see what I did there? YES

But seriously, it would be fun to find that the Quibbler had once been a publication of American wizard Benjamin Franklin, whose illicit muggle liaisons in the UK produced the Lovegood family.

AZSneed, I think the people that didn't like it should probably have indulged in Giggle Water before they went to the theater!!
:lol:cheers

I can't imagine anyone who knows anything about Harry Potter not liking this film, especially knowing it's only the first of a series of 5. Baffling!

Last edited by a moderator:
PotionMistress, I agree completely!

When I saw the first Harry Potter movie, I didn't know anything about HP, it was a fantasy movie and I like fantasy, and I was not disappointed. FB is part of the Wizardry World, but it is not HP, and I am a fan of the WW, so I could not miss it.

I love Harry potter, the books and movies but I thought this film was dull, uninspiring characters, overuse of CGI and none of the wonder or charm that the Potter films had. The ending was like a marvel movie with the whole 'its destroying the city we have to stop it' shananigans. Quite disapointed 4/10. Hopefully the sequels fare better.

I went and saw this for the first time on the 30th of last month, and then I saw it again last Tuesday with my brother, and I really enjoyed it both times! Of course I love all of the Harry Potter books/films, so it would've had to have been pretty terrible for me to not enjoy it. It was nowhere near as good as I remember the Harry Potter films being (I haven't watched them in years, as I'm trying to wait until I have a nice home theater set-up before I rewatch them all on Blu-ray), but I wasn't expecting it to be. I can't wait for the sequel(s)!

Oh and the first time I saw it was in IMAX 3D by myself, and it was easily one of the best "watching a movie in theaters" experiences I've ever had, as I was literally the only person in the theater for the entire movie!

I enjoyed the movie as well. We went last week in the middle of the day so brought my 2 year old grand daughter and she was quiet and enjoyed the whole movie.

I figured out Graves was working for the big bad early on but had no idea the reveal at the end was occurring!

I think it did a good job of expanding the world of wizards. I thought the effects in the suitcase were very cool.

I saw it again Thursday, and I was still amazed, I laughed and cried, and can't wait for the DVD. My favorite places are Newt's case and MACUSA.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back