Mitcheg1's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Mitcheg1

Building on the lesson's learned from last years Iron Patriot build, I decided to tackle a new challenge for my son's halloween costume this year! He loves Halo, so Master Chief was the obvious choice! I turned to EVA foam again for this build as I learned a lot from the challenges of my IP build!

The build started off rocky again, as still hadn't quite mastered the trick of sizing the pieces. After building the first helmet nearly twice as large as it should have been, I was able to get a much better fit. I even put my son and his buddy to work tracing out the parts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414451750.686155.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414451829.045419.jpg

This is only my second full costume that i've ever built, though i have done a batman cowl and Captain America helmet. The suit progressed slowly, but got much better at sizing the pieces so that helped my productivity.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414451965.728220.jpg

So the biggest challenge i faced was figuring out how to make the visor. I checked multiple stores looking for gold window tint, or pre-made visors, to no avail. Ultimately I turned to the amazing community of prop/costume builders for advice and was pointed to the following etsy page.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/193364395/flexible-metallic-visor-material?

The visor was perfect and definitely completed the look!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414453613.841653.jpg

After learning my lesson last year trying to Bondo over EVA, i turned to Plasti-Dip, which was a huge improvement. Another tip I learned was using drywall spackle as a gap filler. Wasn't perfect, but better than having a big gap!

Made good progress and my son was ready to practice his 3 point stance!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414453759.598765.jpg

Final challenge was how to attach all of the parts. For the undersuit, we repurposed an old Darth Vader costume, which I added a zipper to. As for securing the armor pieces, I actually chose to add upholstery foam to the inside of the pieces, so basically they are secured by friction! This actually worked amazingly well! He even wore it to his school dance and had no issues!

Now for final finishing! A little wash with black paint and some dry brushing with silver and the suit was complete!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414454042.112729.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414984818.164186.jpg
Apparently the suit has built-in Attitude! Should I worry that my 10 year old has mastered the Capt Morgan pose?

Thought this was a cool pic of Master Chief and his buddy Star Lord!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414984981.731675.jpg

Hey Mitcheg1, it was great connecting with you at the Orlando Toy and Comic Con. Here's a picture of our boys: Connor Kenway / Master Chief Team Up!!!

20141116_120008.jpg

Hey Scott! Great meeting you guys as well! Have to get together and share build ideas! Let the boys play some AC or Halo together!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back