Skyrim Daedric Armor Build 10/27/2014

crashbryant

Hello All, This is the 1st post on my Skyrim Daedric foam armor. Be gentle with me folks. This is my first build ever. :) I went to Salt Lake Comic Con last September and caught the bug bad. So I started looking up Cosplay build methods and hello RPF!! Foam! Who would have thought? Still, I can't decide what to make...Star Wars?...nah...Halo...Maybe later...Something Different?....But what? Then I stumbled onto Boris Mzhen's build of Skyrim Daedric Armor. Holy crap!! Epic. So I contacted Boris and he is a rock star. He sent me the foam modified pepakura files and offered whatever help I needed. Here I will chronical my experiences. Let me know what you think.

P.S. I am a weekend warrior, so this build may take a while.

So I basically researched out everything I possible could about assembly, painting techniques, and materials.

I decided to make the helmet out of 5mm craft foam. I printed out the pepakura and cut them out, then pinned each piece onto the foam and traced it with a ball point pen. After that I cut the foam out with a X-Acto knife on the inside of the lines and started assembly. I saw alot of posts stating that hot glue is the way to go, but another post I saw from EvilFX said that Barge Contact Cement and foam are best friends. I went with Barge and it works awesome, the only drawback is that when you use a heat gun to shape the foam it can cause problems. Seams separate and you have to keep pressure so that is doesn't fall apart.Still it worked awesome and help like a champ.

Here is the photo of the initial assembly, I shaped the curves as I was going with an embossing gun that my wife had. BTW, the color of foam that you use does not matter. I used red so that I could see the outlines from the pen.

20141005_135300.jpg20141005_211820.jpg

More to come!!

Last edited:
Completed assembly!! And yes I managed to complete it in 3 minutes. OK, I am just spacing the posts to look cooler. :) OK fine, I am actually just trying to figure out how this forum works. :)

20141015_190523.jpg

20141015_190531.jpg

20141015_190550.jpg

Last edited:
Time for Plastidip in my makeshift paint booth.

20141019_112031.jpg

Time for Paint

20141023_211132.jpg

So, I used a semi gloss black as the base, then I hand brushed Hammered Metal Rustoleum onto the metal parts. The effect was cool, but I could see the brush strokes. Airbrush here I come.

20141025_122531.jpg20141025_122558.jpg

Started working on the shoulder bells today! Will post updates soon. Happy Cosplaying!!

Last edited:
Wow, that is probably one of the best foam builds I've ever seen. I think I'm going to give up on pepakura and come to the soft side.

Thanks for the support. I have some more update pictures coming this weekend. Wired the eyes for LED and started on the shoulders (went with a thicker foam on them). Foam pepakura is the way to go. I don't have the aptitude for fiberglass resin and bondo. Cheers to those who do!

Sorry this took so long. Life is crazy busy with 4 kids!!. Here is the helmet wired up with led. I will be posting pics of the shoulders by this weekend.20141111_174352.jpg20141111_174359.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back