SyFy's Krypton (TV Series)

seelsa73

Sr Member
A new show is reportedly being developed, set on Superman's home planet, possibly spearheaded by David Goyer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=124436

Details are sparse on what the series actually will be, but BC speculates that it might be a pre-Superman drama set on his home planet potentially involving the likes of the House of El or Brainiac. Fans were very vocal about enjoying the opening sequences of Man of Steel that depicted Kal-El's home, so perhaps this will be DC Entertainment's first TV series tied into their movie universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Krypton (TV Series)

Uh...pass.

You know why Arrow and The Flash are doing well?

Right. BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY SEE THE HERO.

I'm not really interested in a "pre-Batman" Gotham. I don't care about what the Penguin was like when he was a hired good instead of the one hiring the goons. I'm not concerned with how the Els got on with the Zods and how isn't it a shame that Zippy Zod and Kal-El used to go to pre-K together and now they're mortal enemies. It reminds me of the Patton Oswalt observations about George Lucas' determination to show us what heroes and villains were like as kids, which...nobody cares about.

You want to do a Superman show? Do a friggin' Superman show. Don't do "Superman before he was Superman" or "Superman before he was born, so, actually, like, his dad in Super College" or whatever.

The market is becoming--no pun intended--supersaturated with comics-based fare so quickly now that audiences will become bored by it.

And, yeah, completely agree with Solo, who gives a rat's arse what Supes' parents, neighbors, etc., were like? Certainly not me, but to each their own.

Last edited:

Unless it involves Russel Crowe, Michael Shannon and Antje Traue, I'm out. And they'll be depowered so less fun anyway, even if Jor-El somehow seems to be kicking asses in hand to hand combat despite being a scientist.

I hope it's about the last of a chain of intergalactic convenience stores called Krypton. They all went under after the fall of Krypton, except this one. Run by two slacking losers, it is on the crossroads for every spacebound superhero in the DC universe. Green Lanterns use the loo, Mandroids stock up on motor oil, Adam Strange gets his jetpack topped off and Lobo shoplifts beer.

That I would watch!

DC needs to lighten up and cut loose. This uptight drama with no payoff is really killing their brand.

Almost sounds like a hoax.

I agree, pre-Batman Gotham isn't doing much for me either.
Kind of like how Caprica seemed like a really awesome idea... that wasn't. Granted part of that was how weird of a direction it took.

If it dated back to when they were colonizing and world building it would almost be interesting. But building off the background of Man of Steel wouldn't only open itself up for sharpshooters galore. Like, "Ok, so they obvioulsy tried to colonize Earth once before... or at least "scouted" it. One can assume that ship had a crew. Did that crew get powered up when they were on the planet? If so, how did they not flourish?

I'm enjoying Flash so far.
Have been slowly watching Smallville with our kids and I find it a little annoying. I see the same formula being used in Flash, except instead of "meteor freaks" they're "metahumans" that were powered by the particle accelerator explosion... but so far I'm enjoying this variation on it. Maybe because it leaves out the annoying high school drama. Not to say Smallville is bad. I'm sticking it out because I know in later seasons more DC universe characters... even though the shameless product placement gets worse in later seasons as well.

Back on track though... Krypton sounds like a dumb idea. How much have fans really care about it in the past?

Smallville is great it has its bad season's but overall I enjoy I'd rather have a smallville sequel then a bloody krypton show. why not just do animated films one called krypton one called Gotham a one off would be quite entertaining but a whole series!?
I mean Gotham is okay atm but they need to do a time jump to Bruce being older I don't mind if he isn't batman but start with him in his late teens training and I'd watch it.
I have the same feeling with flash it seems to be a smallville remake with a different reason as to why there are methumans
Is anyone starting to feel like like arrow and flash are the TV versions of Batman and Superman the speech arrow gave in flash episode one is the way people describe superman "symbol of hope" we have the superpowers guy in bright colours and the dark brooding hero billionaire. I would rather a batman. Show more then anything to do with superman or flash. Arrow is great but I think I like it so much because he reminds me of batman.
Why are we getting so many prequels?

Almost sounds like a hoax.

I agree, pre-Batman Gotham isn't doing much for me either.
Kind of like how Caprica seemed like a really awesome idea... that wasn't. Granted part of that was how weird of a direction it took.

If it dated back to when they were colonizing and world building it would almost be interesting. But building off the background of Man of Steel wouldn't only open itself up for sharpshooters galore. Like, "Ok, so they obvioulsy tried to colonize Earth once before... or at least "scouted" it. One can assume that ship had a crew. Did that crew get powered up when they were on the planet? If so, how did they not flourish?

I'm enjoying Flash so far.
Have been slowly watching Smallville with our kids and I find it a little annoying. I see the same formula being used in Flash, except instead of "meteor freaks" they're "metahumans" that were powered by the particle accelerator explosion... but so far I'm enjoying this variation on it. Maybe because it leaves out the annoying high school drama. Not to say Smallville is bad. I'm sticking it out because I know in later seasons more DC universe characters... even though the shameless product placement gets worse in later seasons as well.

Back on track though... Krypton sounds like a dumb idea. How much have fans really care about it in the past?

Gotta disagree with you there. The speech he gives to Barry is one of encouragement and support. He's pointing out that Barry has the potential to be better then him because he can choose how his origin plays out. Arrow just came home and started on the vigilante route and became what he is now as a result.

Gotta disagree with you there. The speech he gives to Barry is one of encouragement and support. He's pointing out that Barry has the potential to be better then him because he can choose how his origin plays out. Arrow just came home and started on the vigilante route and became what he is now as a result.

Gotta disagree with you there...
Arrow is a persona created by Queen... if he doesn't like how things are playing out for that persona, just ditch that costume and M.O. and try a different route. As a costume he has the luxury of re-inventing himself whenever things aren't going well. He has enough money and pull to fake the death of one persona in order to set the stage for a new one.
Oddly, I don't think any comic series has ever used that approach. Have a guy who wants to do good, and keeps creating different costume, because he can't quite get it right.
When you wear a costume you can pretty much go about it however you want... although, I think technically anyone wearing anything but a LE uniform would be considered a vigilante. Even The Flash and Superman. While they're intent is to assist LE when it's beyond their abilities, they are still acting outside the law... which means when the criminal goes to trial, there's the potential the person will be able to get off on a "technicality".

An animated Krypton movie would be a good way to go. I don't see how it could be a self-sustaining series though.

I watched Gotham last night and I'm starting to see that they're working on developing Bruce and Alfred's relationship and his "detective" abilities. I don't think it's feeling too rushed or spoonfed yet, since he's only easing into it.

It would be cool, though, if each season jumps a few years ahead. Bruce is so young right now it would take at least 10 seasons to get him to the point of being Year One Batman. In that regard, it worked for Smallville. Partly because they started you off with Clark in high school and partly because you were seeing his powers start to reveal himself. What does Bruce Wayne have to offer over that long of a period that would make 8-10 seasons worth sitting through. Granted, the show's focal point isn't Bruce, it's Gordon and Gotham itself and all the scum that make up the city's underworld.

Krypton... I guess the problem there is it HAS to end with the world exploding. Where Gotham and Central City are a backdrop for their characters, Krypton is not for Superman... it eventually ends on a catastrophic level.

Arrow is a persona created by Queen... if he doesn't like how things are playing out for that persona, just ditch that costume and M.O. and try a different route. As a costume he has the luxury of re-inventing himself whenever things aren't going well. He has enough money and pull to fake the death of one persona in order to set the stage for a new one.
Oddly, I don't think any comic series has ever used that approach. Have a guy who wants to do good, and keeps creating different costume, because he can't quite get it right.

Well, there's always Hank Pym...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there's always Hank Pym...

Yeah. A show about Kryptonians without powers is probably going to be about as interesting as all the political blah of the Star Wars prequels.

Oh, it's on SyFy? Well that just guarantees it'll be quality.:lol

Hey, don't hate. BSG was very well done for being a SyFy show. Or does that not count because BSG was when they were Sci-Fi, not SyFy?
It seems like that channel is trying to get back on track. I don't know, are they still showing UFC or whatever that was?

Yeah. A show about Kryptonians without powers is probably going to be about as interesting as all the political blah of the Star Wars prequels.

I think the politics of Star Wars could actually be really interesting, but the prequels handled it...really, really poorly. Politics can be fascinating but it has to be grounded in the lives of the people involved, not just dry legislative procedure absent any real context.

Hey, don't hate. BSG was very well done for being a SyFy show. Or does that not count because BSG was when they were Sci-Fi, not SyFy?
It seems like that channel is trying to get back on track. I don't know, are they still showing UFC or whatever that was?

BSG was good for the first 1.5-2.5 seasons. After that, it went to crap. And Moore's finale was a pretty weak-ass finale in my opinion, which proved he had no idea what he was doing the whole way through, but was happy to "sell" the "mystery box" aspects of the show.

That was one of the various shows that started in the early 2000s which really soured me on "mystery box" storytelling.

At one point they did some comics based on Krypton before Superman was born that followed his dad as a scientist but it's just not something that would work on tv and even less so with the hacks at scifi handling it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back