Marty McFly Safari Shirt - Back to the Future

I know preserving shirts from 30 years ago is unlikey, but I wish at least one even in bad condition would pop up.

Last edited:
image.jpg
I'm too behind on my RPF... and I have missed out on the new run of shirts in S already. I always thought this was the movie size because I am MJF sized, perhaps only an inch taller, and the Small is plenty baggy enough. If you want your Shah Safari shirt to look like the movie all you have to do is wash it with your colors. The black will fade over time and the white becomes a bit more muted. One thing about the movie shirt, it does look used.

Just so I can torture myself... the new run is different from the 2010 in that the number of lines has been reduced for accuracy and boldness has changed? Any alterations to the pattern itself?

Last edited:
View attachment 478173
I'm too behind on my RPF... and I have missed out on the new run of shirts in S already. I always thought this was the movie size because I am MJF sized, perhaps only an inch taller, and the Small is plenty baggy enough. If you want your Shah Safari shirt to look like the movie all you have to do is wash it with your colors. The black will fade over time and the white becomes a bit more muted. One thing about the movie shirt, it does look used.

Just so I can torture myself... the new run is different from the 2010 in that the number of lines has been reduced for accuracy and boldness has changed? Any alterations to the pattern itself?

Actually the official shirt right now is missing a hash line. The movie had 16 the one today has 15. The reason the shirt today looks darker is because the lines are bolder making them close together to appear dark.

Re: Does anyone own an original Marty McFly Shah Safari shirt?

Keep in mind Shah Safari is a Billion Dollar company. The McFly shirt represents virtually nothing financially to them.
I have a question BTTF Forum. If this is true then why are you so eager to stamp out replicas?

Wow I'm all about an agonizing level of detail, truly, but should I feel bad about being happy with the 2010 version? Please help me to understand.

The 2010 shirt:
XX? number of hash lines
Higher thread count fabric (compared to 80s spec)

The 2015 shirt:
15 hash lines, improved printed quality less bold than 2010
The same higher quality cotton as the 2010 version?

No offense intended here, merely and observation of the production but MitasTouch's shirt's grid is all over the place when it comes to alignment along the front seams. The worst I can say of the two Smalls I have from 2010 is that some of the vertical lines didn't connect, but it was like that in the movie too.

No offense intended here, merely and observation of the production but MitasTouch's shirt's grid is all over the place when it comes to alignment along the front seams.

Yeah. Thats the only gripe I have with it. But the appearance to the movie meaning the lighter appearing hash lines makes me happy with it. And I got it for a good price.

The quality of the cotton in the shirt is the same from 2010 to the 2015 run. Both of which is a higher quality cotton than the Shah Safari shirt from the 80's.

The 2010 shirt was 18-19 lines per segment. The 2015 run is 15. I was not involved in the 2010 run.

Yeah. Thats the only gripe I have with it. But the appearance to the movie meaning the lighter appearing hash lines makes me happy with it. And I got it for a good price.

After spotting your post a page back, I purchased a hand made shirt from the same seller, had it made in a size medium. Arrived here in the U.K the other day. I have to say that I am very happy with it too! I think the overall look is nicer with the lighter hash lines and for that price it's a great deal! Better than the shirt I had and looks really cool.

Hello - I realsie that this is in no way screen accurate, however, in terms of looks , and for those of us on a budget, I found this on uniqlo :
http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/154228-00

Again, not perfect, but certainly affordable

Yes, I actually spotted this shirt in one of there stores about 2 weeks ago. It's not bad. As you say, good price. Just wasn't quite right for me with the squares not meeting on the corners. Still a good alternative though. Thanks for sharing! :)

I thought I posted my message, but it doesnt appear so I am re-doing it.. here is a picture of me from 1986 wearing the original Shah Safari shirt that I bought in 1985. The color of the ink is a much lighter shade than the remake shirts are, and actually I really think it was dark grey. As you can see, my shirt was also the long-sleeved version. I bought it around Thanksgiving time in 1985 so long-sleeve shirts were selling at that time of year.shirt.png

I thought I posted my message, but it doesnt appear so I am re-doing it.. here is a picture of me from 1986 wearing the original Shah Safari shirt that I bought in 1985. The color of the ink is a much lighter shade than the remake shirts are, and actually I really think it was dark grey. As you can see, my shirt was also the long-sleeved version. I bought it around Thanksgiving time in 1985 so long-sleeve shirts were selling at that time of year.

That very cool! Thank you for sharing your pictures! Did you buy it because of the BTTF movies? Or just for the super coolness of it! I take it you don't still have the shirt?

Did Shah Safari produce both a long and short sleeve version, or did they only produce the long sleeve one and they shortened it for the movie? Because the only accounts of people owning the real shirt have been long sleeve. BTTF Forum, do you have original pictures of the shirt from Shah Safari?

Last edited by a moderator:
...I think it looks like I'm going to figure out my size in women's just for that shirt. Man that sounds wrong. ;) Great find Emma! :)

...I think it looks like I'm going to figure out my size in women's just for that shirt. Man that sounds wrong. ;) Great find Emma! :)

Thanks! It's only available in "asos curve" the minimum size is a 18. This is what the model wear, it looks a bit loose, so I bought one + it was reduced! I am usually a size 14... but I'll see... I would like to compare it with my shah safari and see which one I like the most, I'll post a picture for comparison if you want me to!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back