Marty McFly Safari Shirt - Back to the Future

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have NEVER seen this shirt outside of screen shots! WOW!

15458_1.jpg

Re: Original Marty McFly Safari Shirt at auction! Back to the Future

I've always wondered how long the original sleeves actually are.

Does anyone own an original Marty McFly Shah Safari shirt?

I've been pondering this question for a few years now, so I guess it's time to bring it to the masses for some input.

In Back To The Future, while there are many easily identifiable items (Nike shoes, etc.), the movie was made largely without any type of paid product placement. I mention this because, for as long as I can recall now, it has long been accepted by fans as a fact that the checkered shirt Marty wears in BTTF was made by a company called Shah Safari. However, as far as I'm aware this is the only Shah Safari item used in the film, and it has no identifiable markings (i.e.: they didn't have a deal with the filmmakers).

It wasn't until October 2006, that the Seattle Times posted an article about Shah Safari, where it possibly confirms that they manufactured the shirt as fact.
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2003328331_shahbrothers29.html

Which says: "To put their longevity into perspective, actor Michael J. Fox wore Shah Safari's three-quarter sleeve button-up in the movie "Back To The Future" in 1985."

Then again, I'm not so sure. I've spoken to one of the costume designers for the film who told me specifically that Michael J. Fox's wardrobe was all bought off the rack, because there was little time following Eric Stoltz's departure. Which would indicate that even if the shirt was made by Shah Safari, Shah Safari themselves likely wouldn't have known anything about it, until they identified their own product on the screen.

Someone else on these forums was curious about this as well several years back with one poster claiming they own one (but no photo evidence of this was provided):
http://www.therpf.com/f24/back-future-martys-shirt-34911/

Fast forward to 2010. In honor of BTTF's 25th anniversary, the site www.bttfblog.com was able to commission Shah Safari to make a limited number of replica shirts available (the shirts have long since sold out, and the website is no longer up). Here is what these shirts look like:
I5bMlya.jpg

While it looks very close, and the cut/style is clearly very accurate, you will notice when comparing to the film, that it is not a 100% match as the lines are thinner/lighter on the screen used shirt:
Marty_McFly.jpg

Just recently, Screenused.com offered up for sale the original shirt actually worn by MJF in the filming. Though it has yellowed with age over the years from poor storage, it is clearly the actual shirt used on screen:
15458_1.jpg

What I find interesting about this shirt though is the description they used for their auction, where they said:

"(Universal, 1985) This incredibly iconic shirt was custom-made by the production for use by Michael J. Fox as "Marty McFly" in both Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part II. The white and black button down shirt was a highly visible part of Marty's main outfit and of all the Back to the Future costumes we have handled over the years, this is the one we have never seen come to market. It can't be understated how rare this shirt is. No size marked, wear from use and minor staining are present."

I've highlighted a couple of things there, because they directly contradict long-accepted fan theory, the newspaper article, as well as what I was personally told by BTTF's costume designer. If the shirt was indeed purchased off the rack, then it would certainly have a size tag, and obviously would not appear to be custom-made, as it would have a Shah Safari label in it. This could just be an instance of Screenused.com wanting to make their item sound more appealing, but I doubt they would mislead like that.

I am determined to get to the bottom of this! So, here's where you all come in.

If you own an ORIGINAL Shah Safari Marty shirt (not the 2010 reproduction), please chime in, but more importantly PROVIDE PHOTO EVIDENCE!!
While saying you have one is nice, without pics we are no closer to really having a conclusive answer about this. I've been collecting BTTF props for a long time, and I have still yet to see a picture produced to 100% confirm for me that Shah Safari was in fact the original manufacturer of this shirt.

Secondly, if by some chance you do own one and are interested in selling, feel free to let me make you a generous offer for it. I would also include my 2010 Shah Safari reproduction as part of the offer (which are becoming somewhat rare and expensive in their own right now).

I5bMlya.jpg

Marty_McFly.jpg

15458_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Does anyone own an original Marty McFly Shah Safari shirt?

Safari Shah was not the original manufacturer of the shirt.

I have a friend owning an original shirt and this is clearly different from the screen used one. So I'd say it was just made by a tailor for bttf.

DSC_0356.JPG

This is my Shah Safari shirt, purchased directly from Shah Safari. I own two, one I keep as a spare :)

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting info Emma, I've often thought the shirt Marty wears is more 'grey' than white onscreen, that would explain it

Here's another interesting piece of info…

From the best photo I've been able to find of MJF actually wearing the shirt on set:
linecount_zps37899dd4.jpg

and a scan directly from my reproduction Shah Safari shirt:
shahswatchcount_zps0368a34e.jpg

Here you can clearly see, that the original screen used shirt has 16 thin lines between each square. Where as the ones Shah Safari manufactured in 2010 have 19 lines between each square.

I believe on the original because the lines are thinner and there are less of them, this is what causes them to appear as solid gray lines when viewed from a distance.

I have a friend owning an original shirt and this is clearly different from the screen used one. So I'd say it was just made by a tailor for bttf.

Can you get your friend to provide a picture? Another member here, howlingwind13, claims to have owned an original made by Shah Safari and that it was used as the basis for making the replica shirt.

I'm personally starting to lean towards it not being made by Shah Safari, but to date all I've ever heard are claims of one person or another having one, or knowing someone that has one, but the one thing thats never been provided is any kind of conclusive photo evidence. Which seems crazy at this point considering its the one single item from Marty's costume yet to be 100% confirmed after nearly 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

He's on this forum. It's Martin Jr.

I hope he does not mind me from posting these pictures of him. But this is how the 80's one looks like.

10418466_10152625578746308_3965043542269793520_n.jpg 10425124_10152820613181308_749966760467027935_n.jpg

Last edited:

He's on this forum. It's Martin Jr.

I hope he does not mind me from posting these pictures of him. But this is how the 80's one looks like.

View attachment 404952 View attachment 404958

Thanks for the pics.

You've got me a little confused now. Earlier you said:

So just to make sure I am understanding correctly the shirt you just posted is an original made by Shah Safari that is similar, but you still think the one actually worn in the movie was made by someone else?

I am happy you had those pics though, that goes a long way in proving to me that the one in the movie wasn't a Shah Safari. I still think that the shirt was purchased though, and not made specifically for the film, because literally every other part of Marty's suit was purchased off the rack, so it wouldn't make sense that they would just custom make this one part of it, excluding the jacket lining of course.

Yes, I said he had an original from the 80's technically. Which is clearly different from the re edition.

I have the same position, I'm pretty sure it was not a shah safari shirt. However, it is fairly possible that they would have made the shirt especially for the movie. They have made many custom things. Especially in the 2nd movie. But maybe they found a good material somewhere for this shirt and asked a tailor to make one based on shah safari designs, who knows.

OK so here are the pics of my original (that I no longer own). The pics I had were lost with my old computer. So he managed to send me pics. And before everyone jumps on me I know it wasn't 100% accurate but it was a closest we found at the time.
mike

Attachments

• 004.jpeg
    004.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 005.jpeg
    005.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 1,276

OK so here are the pics of my original (that I no longer own). The pics I had were lost with my old computer. So he managed to send me pics. And before everyone jumps on me I know it wasn't 100% accurate but it was a closest we found at the time.
mike

Thanks for the pics, Mike. To me this is further proof that while Shah Safari made shirts that were incredibly similar, until someone can prove otherwise, I don't think we can make the claim anymore with certainty that they made the shirt seen in the film.

As another tiny piece of evidence towards this claim, you'll notice all Shah Safari shirts, have a tag that is sewn beneath the collar, either a flap style tag, or sewn on to back interior of the shirt. However, if you look at this screen capture from the film (which I've highlighted to make more visible), you'll notice that the shirt appears to have a tag, or at least the outline of one, sewn in to the collar itself, something Shah Safari did not do. Not that this helps out figure who DID do it. :unsure…but at least it's something.

tag.jpg

To add even further intrigue to this speculation, I decided to write screenused.com about this, as they just sold what is to my knowledge the only screen worn version of this shirt that has ever surfaced. Honestly, I didn't expect I'd ever get a response, but to my surprise/delight they actually did write me back today, and told me that the shirt they sold had NO tags in it whatsoever! While this could lead some people to the conclusion it must've been custom made, I'm still not fully on board with that idea, because Marty's jacket, jeans, and shoes all had their identifying labels removed from them, so it would only stand to reason they would've done the same to this shirt, assuming it was purchased off the rack.

The mystery continues!

Did he screen used shirt have a pocket on both sides, or just one? The picture makes it look like there were two. And were they just simple rectangles or were they rounded at the bottom? It is also hard to tell where the pockets stop. My guess is about 7 squares down.

Also there is a person that sells the fabric for the shirt with the correct amount of lines. If you really want an accurate shirt you could use this fabric and have a shirt made out of it.
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/130468#

And here is a quote from the screen used website.
"(Universal, 1985) This incredibly iconic shirt was custom-made by the production for use by Michael J. Fox as "Marty McFly" in both Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part II. The white and black button down shirt was a highly visible part of Marty's main outfit and of all the Back to the Future costumes we have handled over the years, this is the one we have never seen come to market. It can't be understated how rare this shirt is. No size marked, wear from use and minor staining are present."
Turns out it was custom made.

Last edited:

... It is also hard to tell where the pockets stop. My guess is about 7 squares down. ...

I think you're right. If you darken the picture of the screen used shirt, you can see the stitching at the lower end of the pocket.

attachment.php

Attachments

• martysshirt_pockets.jpg
    martysshirt_pockets.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 9,988

I personally know the vice president of Shah Safari who has been with the company for over 30 years. I can assure you that the Shirt that Marty wore was made by Shah Safari.

I personally know the vice president of Shah Safari who has been with the company for over 30 years. I can assure you that the Shirt that Marty wore was made by Shah Safari.

Quote from screenused.com.
"This incredibly iconic shirt was custom-made by the production for use by Michael J. Fox as "Marty McFly" in both Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part II."

Quote from screenused.com.
"This incredibly iconic shirt was custom-made by the production for use by Michael J. Fox as "Marty McFly" in both Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part II."

Unfortunately what you are saying is not accurate or true. Shah Safari did in fact make that shirt. Actually they made over 100,000 of them in the early 80s and sold them all over the world. You are quoting the auction site who is inaccurate. Screenused.com, the same people that auctioned off a "screen used" Marty Mcfly walkman whose headphones are not even close to the ones used on screen. I have spoken at length with Ronnie, the vice-president of Shah Safari about this shirt. He was actually there. I fail to see anyone making statements here that was actually involved.

This statement here:

Then again, I'm not so sure. I've spoken to one of the costume designers for the film who told me specifically that Michael J. Fox's wardrobe was all bought off the rack, because there was little time following Eric Stoltz's departure. Which would indicate that even if the shirt was made by Shah Safari, Shah Safari themselves likely wouldn't have known anything about it, until they identified their own product on the screen.

That is the truth. Shah Safari was not aware that there shirt was used in the film until Back to the Future came out. They were very much aware once the movie was in theaters, that the shirt was in fact, their product.

The re-release shirt from 2010 is just that, a re-release. You cannot make a comparison of that shirt to the film and say Shah did not make the shirt. All you can point out is that the re-release is slightly different.

Last edited:

Is there any evidence to suggest that the shirt used in Parts II & III might not be the same as the one from the original movie? I'm just wondering whether it's possible for the original to have been custom-made while a Shah Safari shirt was used in the sequels (or even the other way around?) especially given the article in the The Seattle Times wasn't published until 2006.

Just comparing some low-res screenshots, Marty's t-shirt doesn't seem to be the same one (the color and neckline appear to be different) but the shirt does look pretty similar. What are the chances that costume department kept a few items but not all of them? (Also, I thought I'd read somewhere that there were several of Lea Thompson's dress for the Enchantment Under the Sea scene in the original movie, but she had to use the one she'd kept for BTTFII because the costume department no longer had any of the others. She also claims to still have the original while ScreenUsed.com has also apparently sold one.)

Roland, as the master of hi-res BTTF screen captures, are you able to get any good comparison screenshots which show any differences in the pattern or cut of the material?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back