Marty McFly Safari Shirt - Back to the Future

Re: Does anyone own an original Marty McFly Shah Safari shirt?

Could the shirt have been a longer sleeve (like the European Vacation one) and maybe the costume department simply tailored the shirts for MJF? He's a lot shorter, maybe it was tougher to find clothes that fit?

I've always found the bottom hem on the dark red T-shirt a bit odd looking, the hem looks funny. Plus it would be a really short shirt in real life.

Shah did make shirts in the 80's with Half Sleeves. This is different than short sleeves. To me they are like 3/4 sleeves, but that is not what they are called.

Last edited:
Re: Original Marty McFly Safari Shirt at auction! Back to the Future

lol! counting lines!

Seriously though, considering the amount of lumberjack shirts I have and the amount i see everytime i go shopping, I'd be amazed if anyone could claim copyright over straight lines and chequered prints.

They are so common and generic and can't really be considered unique enough to copyright anyway.

Why has nobody pointed out yet that the European Vacation shirt's diagonal lines are going the opposite direction from the shirt for sale at the top?

Just so I'm clear, we're not allowed to make replicas of this shirt?

Why has nobody pointed out yet that the European Vacation shirt's diagonal lines are going the opposite direction from the shirt for sale at the top?

That really isn't what you think it is. The current Shah shirts I have go in both directions. It just depends on how they were sewed together. I just means when the sewer sewed the shirt they turned the fabric 90 degrees.

- - - Updated - - -

Just so I'm clear, we're not allowed to make replicas of this shirt?

Correct.

do you have a link to the patent/trademark of this design?

I will not be posting anything related to legal specifics relating to Shah Safari or any portions of any contracts that I have with them.

I will not be posting anything related to legal specifics relating to Shah Safari or any portions of any contracts that I have with them.

I don't get it? i don't think anybody's bothered about contracts, just want to see their trademark and how its justified.

if they have a trademark or patent, its public record.
You should be able to view it online as its part of public record I think.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4807:2z47u2.4.200

http://www.tmquest.com/results.asp?maxFiles=10&sort=1&adv=1&owner=Shah+Safari,+Inc.

http://inovia.com/resources/directory/trademarks-owned-by-shah+safari,+inc/

if anyone finds it on there, feel free to share.

Last edited:

Not sure when they applied for it, but the company I used to work for - I designed a few things and the product patent can take 1-2 years to legally evaluate and process.

I don't doubt if Shah Safari wanted to patent it, they absolutely could. You'd be surprised what can be patented. Harley Davidson can patent a sound of their motorcycles, Bombardier can patent yellow snowmobiles. Etc.

Not sure when they applied for it, but the company I used to work for - I designed a few things and the product patent can take 1-2 years to legally evaluate and process.

I don't doubt if Shah Safari wanted to patent it, they absolutely could. You'd be surprised what can be patented. Harley Davidson can patent a sound of their motorcycles, Bombardier can patent yellow snowmobiles. Etc.

I suppose so, but straight lines is not unique enough to trademark or patent as far as i know, although i could be wrong.

If it were that easy to trademark straight lines and curved lines, you wouldn't see generic clones of various branded tv's and mobile phones.

Two lines going over each other with a square highlighted? who knows.

Well, I guess its companies protecting their visual brand. Think about Adidas, its "the brand with the three stripes". Or how fashion companies like Burberry owns their patterns. Companies can do knockoffs, but its up to the original company to pursue them.

I designed some sports soft goods for an interactive fitness game, and my name is on the patents. But even before the game came out, companies were knocking off the design. Since our patent was in progress (it took 2 years) all we could do was send C&D orders.

He was asking for public records, not anything to do with your private business.

If the company really has a Trademark filed, that is something that is easily demonstrable.

The problem is this: People here want the most accurate things. If the modern Shah Safari release isn't accurate, people will try to find something more accurate if they can. If nothing more accurate exists, they will make it. So people are clearly thinking about producing their own shirts and are looking to see to what extent the trademark would restrict them. And all the business deals and claims of a trademark that may or may not exist won't stop them.

For instance, the name "Shah Safari" is trademarked: http://www.trademarkia.com/shah-safari-74317339.html

I found that in a few seconds while looking through public records searching for all trademarks filed by Scott R. Reid. (Listed as a a defendant in public court records and the attorney of record on all Trademarks I could find for them) I cannot find any active trademarks however that would apply to the design of the checked shirt though.

Here is a search for ALL filings (including dead trademarks) containing the words "Shah" AND "Safari" in them for reference, including two design trademarks, neither of which would encompass the shirt's design: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showf...c&state=4808:xumdpd.1.1&a_search=Submit+Query

And here's everything that comes up with Scott R. Reid as the Attorney of Record: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showf...&state=4808:xumdpd.10.1&a_search=Submit+Query

Same deal. No design marks that would encompass the check on the shirt. (And yes, I looked at all 346 individually just to be sure)

I did the same search with the Patent Office and he has no design or utility patents filed under his name.

...so the claims of a trademark are highly specious, hence why we're curious to see if there really is anything filed.

-Nick

Last edited:
I see that a moderator has merged my thread with another thread about this topic, which is fine, but can we please keep the original title of my thread, because there is discussion all over the web about this shirt. Titling this thread "Does anyone own an original Marty McFly Shah Safari shirt?" I thought might help to get the right eyes on this, that could hopefully lead to the conclusive evidence many of us are seeking.

Also, I have a new piece of evidence to offer the conversation:
pattern.jpg

Out of respect to the person who provided me this image, I've cropped it, but this is from an actual on-set photo of MJF wearing the shirt. So there should be no questions whatsoever about the correct amount of lines after seeing this for anyone still in doubt.

Also, I have a new piece of evidence to offer the conversation:
View attachment 440380

Out of respect to the person who provided me this image, I've cropped it, but this is from an actual on-set photo of MJF wearing the shirt. So there should be no questions whatsoever about the correct amount of lines after seeing this for anyone still in doubt.
Nice picture. That's very clearly 16x16.

Thank your source for us!

-Nick

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back