Nostromo Laser Pistol - from Alien

Andymac84

Sr Member
Based upon a great kit from Shawn Morgan and a real Tasco scope. The paint job was done entirely by myself to match the Kane prop at Bob Burns collection. The only thing I want to change are larger scope rings to get the Singlepoint scope to the correct angle. :thumbsup
Kanes Nostromo Laser Pistol. (click on the images to view them larger)

"I'm gonna break out the weapons." ―Dallas regarding the laser pistols (from Alien)
A laser pistol was used by the crew of the USCSS Nostromo. Derived from the technology used in laser welders, the laser pistol was equipped with a 4x20 scope.
In June 2122, laser pistols were used by the crew of the Nostromo while investigating the derelict ship on LV-426. All of the Nostromo's laser pistols were destroyed when the ship's self destruct system detonated.

Thank you Sean. You made my day:thumbsup
Honestly I was surprised by myself that I was able to get that rusty look right down the barrel..and I'm far away from a professional painter:)

SWEET job on that kit ! I have one of Shawn's. I love it. Mine needs a repaint/touch up. I made the mistake of taking the prop to the Office - it was handled and mishandled - usually when I was not there. It is really and interesting design. Not many around. Thanks for sharing the pics. GREAT DETAILS. Shawn has a new kit of the "Dallas" version. We need a thread on Kane vs Dallas versions. Loved the link to the AVP site.

To bad they cut most of the footage from the screen that highlighted any use of the pistol. I would have loved for Ripley to laser ASH after he tried to kill her. The flame thrower works - but if you have the pistol - darn it PULL THE TRIGGER as least ONCE on screen. They used the heck out of the flame thrower.

Thank you Harada:)
I think they've been aware from the acid and laser power to explain it within the story.
But I think they were simply cutted out from the movie to make it look more dangerous.
Or like somebody say, it was a ugly design, so Ridley wanted them not too much on the screen....:unsure

Too bad we're across the ocean. I would love to repaint yours. It was a nice job to do.

The nuances in the Background of the Alien films are fascinating. I would have not known about the Nostromo pistol without someone posting the cut scenes - production stills released later - and finally Shawn's reproduction of the pistol.

Ran across this ALIEN/Nostromo EXTRA form the blueray DVD set. Interesting back stories to all the Nostromo crew - adds another dimension to the ALIEN story. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f47/weyland-yutani-nostromo-crew-profiles-aliens-lambert-born-male-127842/

Who knew the Nostromo crew were such misfits? I think they were ordinary people placed in an extraordinary set of circumstances facing adversities under handicapped circumstances. No wonder they were sent into hell without warning. ASH was a puppet and Weyland always had their own internal agenda. Weyland is the Deep Space "Walmart" of corporations - darn sinister if you ask me - : )

Still wanted someone to Shoot ASH with the Laser Pistol !!! The rustic retrofitted design is exactly the utilitarian security pistol they would throw in as a "tool" - but not a very efficient one.

Here is link to Shawn's Dallas Kit at Prop Summit:

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=3112&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am LOVING your Nostromo pistol build !!! Got me fired up again. I have to pull out mine to do the repaint. After it was dropped by a careless coworker - I bought a metal set of the original sight mounts. When I put it back together - I will use the metal ones.

LOVE the paint job you've done with this kit. Can you tell us what brand / colors you used? And how did you get the "NOSTROMO" lettering on the side? I'd like to add that to mine.

I've got one of each kit from Shawn. Both the Dallas and Kane versions. I highly recommend them both. Shawn is a wizard with resin.

Ted.

I am LOVING your Nostromo pistol build !!! Got me fired up again. I have to pull out mine to do the repaint. After it was dropped by a careless coworker - I bought a metal set of the original sight mounts. When I put it back together - I will use the metal ones.

Your comment is so kind. Thanks a lot. I'll check out both links immediately. I also used real scope mounts for both scopes. :thumbsup

LOVE the paint job you've done with this kit. Can you tell us what brand / colors you used? And how did you get the "NOSTROMO" lettering on the side? I'd like to add that to mine.
I've got one of each kit from Shawn. Both the Dallas and Kane versions. I highly recommend them both. Shawn is a wizard with resin.
Ted.

Hey Ted, thank you so much for your words. Of course. I'll make a list of the paints I've used on this. I got a little input from Shawn but I only used one color from his list.:thumbsup He's truly a resin-wizard. I honestly have to say I was never a big fan of resin. There were too many bad experiences with even worse kits. But THIS is truly outstanding. It is heavy and have no flaws at all.
For the lettering use the outer frame of the vinyl decals that you got from Shawn with his kits.:thumbsup Not the letters itself. So u have a stencil/mask for the lettering and apply it with a white edding 751 paint marker. It worked just beautiful. Apply it barely just like they already peel off.

Andymac84,

Thanks for the offer to post paints. I too used Shawn's suggestions. I just didn't go very far with the weathering.

I've had my share of terrible resin kits. Shawn, Joatrash, Rick Ross and a few other offer some of the best kits I've ever built. Oh, I should certainly add Goldberg Arms to that list. Masters of their craft. Also, top notch sales skills too.

As to the vinyl lettering, I didn't get any when I bought the kits. I will drop him a note to see if he has more of them.

Thanks for the pictures and the info.

Ted.

EXCELLENT BUILD!

The only thing it´d redo is the scope, since the brush strokes are too obvious IMHo where the actual scope only has some paint chipping
Otherwise GREAT paint/weathering....having done this pistol myself I KNOW how hard it can be do match the nuances of the actual props finish

Markus

EXCELLENT BUILD!

The only thing it´d redo is the scope, since the brush strokes are too obvious IMHo where the actual scope only has some paint chipping
Otherwise GREAT paint/weathering....having done this pistol myself I KNOW how hard it can be do match the nuances of the actual props finish

Markus

In fact it was your on-going Blaster thread who got me into this. And now getting a EXCELLENT from the blaster-master is absolutely cool:cool
You're right with the scope. The original seems to have the gold paint sprayed on to the scope, too. I'll probably apply a gold coat to it.

Ted.

Spraycans:
Renovo Black dull (small can for the base coat)
Duplicolor dark grey mat (small can for 2nd coat)
Faust Bronze Effekt (small can for the gold coat)

Acrylics:
Marabu Decormatt Metallic copper 787

Edding markers:
Gold edding 753 calligraphy paint marker
Red edding 3000 permanent marker
Black Schneider 230 permanent marker

After applying of the Acrylic copper with your finger thumbs you'll also do this with the black marker. Dot a single point with it straight onto the acrylic and rubb it into the surface. This is how I've done the rusty patina.

Sorry for the late response. Excellent job! I always love seeing people paint up my kits. Thank you and everyone for the kind words, too!

Shawn

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back