Dick Tracy Watch Build

nickjm007

UPDATE: This watch is now available for purchase. Please see the run thread in the Classifieds > Project Runs section.

Dick Tracy watch replica

- Nick

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hey all!

This Dick Tracy watch prototype is my newest build. It's not finished yet and I would love to get some feedback before my final iteration.

image3.JPG

The following is a screen grab of the actual movie prop.

tracy-watch.png~original.png

How it was made:
  • 3D printed brass case and back (using printed wax resin and lost wax casting).
  • The 3D print was sanded and polished.
  • Polished brass case was chromed using Caswell's Copy Chrome product.
  • Dial was recreated from screen grabs in Illustrator and printed on photo paper.
  • Stock watch components were used for the bands, hands, crown, movement.

Features:
  • Working watch using a quartz ETA 801.104 movement.
  • The case and back are made from chromed brass.
  • Uses real case tubes, crown, band, and spring bar pins.
  • Chromed back screws secure the watch back.
  • Brash mesh (for the radio speaker/microphone).

Things I plan to change in the final iteration:
  • Better finishing of the metal.
  • Better chroming.
  • Fitting the crystal (it must be specially made).
  • Protect the metal with a professional grade sealer.
  • Decide whether to leave the case back in brass or to chrome it.
  • Fit a real pusher (for the radio button).

Thoughts for making better? Would really appreciate any and all ideas.

Thanks all!

Best,
Nick

Full shot.
IMG_3455.JPG

Close ups.
image2.JPG
image4.JPG

Back. NOTE: In this shot, only one screw is fitted, because it made taking it apart easier as I go about testing it.
image5.JPG

A look inside. NOTE: It doesn't have the battery or winder pin attached, because I have yet to trim the pin to fit. Also, the pushed is 3D printed in this shot. The real pusher is on its way from the supplier and will be fitted in the final iteration.

Inside.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is great work !

Besides the casing colour perhaps being slightly on the copper side (?), I cannot see how this can be improved to be honest.

Even my colour comment may be wrong, since in one screencap it is clearly on the coppery side, but in the other it is clearly on the brass side like yours.

Rest of the watch itself seems to be spot-on !

:cheers

I'm not familiar with this prop, so I don't really know what the original's colour really is.

This looks incredible! I've wanted one of these forever. If you happen to do a run of these please add me to the top of your list!

I had a toy one as a kid right after the movie came out and it was one of my favorite things ever. This looks great and I'd also be up for one if there's a run.

Thanks, for the critique, Alan! The color issue could be the image quality as the watch in person is chromed. I will get some outside opinions in real life to make sure the color looks good.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Sarni! I;ve wanted one forever, too ... so I made one! I will certainly keep you informed should I make a run of these. Want to perfect it first. Nearly finished.

gregday, I had a toy watch as well. Love that thing. Loving my new watch even more!

I'll keep you posted should I start an interest thread for a run.

- - - Updated - - -

jhusal, thanks for your interest! I'll keep you posted should I start an interest thread for a run.

I'll add to everybody else. You have replicated this watch perfectly. I would personally like to see the numbers to look a little cleaner but that's just me being picky. Also, though not screen accurate, I'd like to see a "light" of sorts emanating from under the speaker grill when the side button is pushed just to give it an activation look. Otherwise it truly does look fantastic.
Well done, sir :thumbsup
Oh, and yes. Add me to those who would like one for their collection.

Thanks, Funky Jedi! Great ideas. As of now, the inside of the watch is built with some room into which the pusher penetrates such that anyone can modify the watch to fit a (small) bluetooth, audio, light, or other device if they so choose. I will also take another look at the watch dial numbers.

Glad you like it!

Spectacular work!!
I'd love to pick your brain over the creation of the printed wax to cast brass process one day! Brilliant!

I feel like a real knit picker but the step down frame around the watch dial seems a bit different than the original but the screen cap isn't clear enough.
Other than that , and that is more a vibe than a note, it's top notch , beautiful work!!!

This is absolutely gorgeous. And you've set it up to customize with a Bluetooth rig or what have you! I couldn't have dreamed this better. Even the squiggly numbers look great!

PLEASE add me to the growing list of people committed to a run. It's beautiful work!

clayslinger, knit picking welcome! I'm a knit picker myself.

The "step down" frame surrounding the dial is different. 1) The corners are sharper and 2) the steps are rougher. The sharp edges make it easier (and cheaper) for G-S Supplies to create the crystal. I actually like the sharper edges, but am still open to changing this. The steps are also rougher because sanding them down without milling equipment and experience risks greater imperfections—however, I believe that light reflection from the watch crystal will make this less of an issue. Since the roughness didn't bother me, I chose to leave it alone. However, since you brought it up, I'm going to see if I can remedy this. Again, I'm a knit picker myself! I like to be. :)

Thanks again for chiming in!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks spectre-general! I'm glad you like the squiggly numbers. They really gave the original prop a unique look that I like very much.

Now that I'm taking a second gander at them, I actually notice that the numbers are a bit off kilter compared to the screen grab. So, I am going to change that in the final iteration. Hopefully, you'll like it even more!

Below is a side by side comparison of my model (left) and a publicity shot of the original movie prop (right).

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 12.11.04 AM.png

You'll notice a few differences. Primarily, I'm concerned with...

• The filleting on all edges (especially the speaker window) should be increased to match better. It will look nicer, too, by reflecting more light.
• Color differences are difficult to assess due to color correction issues, however, the color is very pleasing in person and will be even more so when I chrome it better.
• The dial window steps on mine are rougher. I will try to remedy this, but believe that it is not fixable without causing more problems.
• The dial window corners are sharper on mine. This makes is due to being cheaper and easier for G-S Supplies to manufacture the custom crystal. Unfortunately, I don't have plans to change this, though I do actually like the sharper corners.
• The wire mesh being of difference sizes—mine is too tight I will fix this.
• The crown is different, though I cannot find a stock crown that matches—however, it is replaceable so that a better crown can be switched one day (crowns like this only costs $5).
• The dial will be printed sharper and on better paper. The position of the numbers will be adjusted slightly to better match the screen grab.
• Lens distortion makes it difficult to determine if the speaker//microphone hole tapers from top to bottom—I believe it does not, so I designed it accordingly. My photo has less lens distortion than that used for the publicity photo.

That's all I can see, myself.

If anyone can see other issues, let me know and I will take it into consideration for my final iteration next week.

After studying your publicity photo and the few screen grabs available, I believe that the original grille cutout DOES taper from top to bottom, being slightly narrower at the bottom in a sort of bloated "keystone" shape, with the widest point being about 1/3 of the way down from the top. If I get some time this weekend I'll try to remember to make an attempt to create a distortion-corrected version of the publicity photo. Things you can learn about a prop from distortion-corrected photos vs. uncorrected ones may surprise you.

Last edited:
The watch is great, if there was and ic with tiny speaker and some button cells, you can have it play some of the communications from the movie, it would be over the top. Great job and use of 3d printing tom make the clean masters.

very cool project. i used to have one of the "officially licensed" watches but sold it off years ago. it was nice, but not nearly this accurate. will keep watching this thread with great interest. i would love to have one, bout happy if it simply had a working watch. the "sound bites from movie" idea is cool, though.

Daniel, that's a great observation. It does look mother of pearl to me as well. I will look for specialty paper onto which I can print the numbers. I'm positive I can find it.

- - - Updated - - -

Scotophor, that would be very helpful, thanks!

I'm no expert so I can't add any worthy advice, but I'll tell you I think you did an amazing job for sure. Like just about everyone else said, if you decide to do a run please let me know! I've been trying for years to get my hands on a GTI replica and this looks just as nice! You're a talented guy.

Beautifully done. I loved this watch as a kid. Please add me to the list on interested parties if you do a run. Great work!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back