Nightwing - Custom Armored Amalgamation

4lpha4dam

Hello RPF'ers!

For Halloween of 2014 I am currently constructing a spin on the classic Batman character Nightwing. I am drawing inspiration from many different sources and versions of the hero. Most notably this costume is an armored version of Nightwing, sporting pads and plates over a fabric suit. In this thread I will be posting updated pictures of the costume's indivudal pieces, production methods, and final suit action photos. If you have any questions or comments on how I constructed a particular part of the suit or the suit as a whole feel free to post.

Attached are all of the armored torso pieces for the suit. I formed them from 10 mm EVA floor foam. The "plates" were heat treated, for contour, coated in plastidip and then glued onto a thinner sheet of black craft foam to act as backing. The logo I chose reflects the Young Justice version of Nightwing, as I feel this logo is more visual and better represents the hero as a symbol.

Attachments

• CAM01214.jpg
    CAM01214.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 264
  • CAM01207.jpg
    CAM01207.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 201
  • CAM01221.jpg
    CAM01221.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 203
Mask Construction

The mask was more difficult than the armor was. I wracked my brain on how to achieve a contoured smooth look with the available materials I had. The method I used involved forming a template out of craft foam then vacuuforming plastic sheeting over this template. On the bottom side of the template I cut out additional craft foam to form raised areas for the brow furrow and edges. I glued this template to a styrofoam head (I recommend not using superglue for this, which I learned eats away at styrofoam rather quickly). After constructing the head template I cut out the section of the head that only the mask covered. I then placed this section onto my vacuuform table and let it do it's thing. The final result is smooth, crisp, and sleek.

Currently the mask is cut out, coated in plastidip and drying atm, finished pics to come. The next steps are strap attachment and escrima construction.

Attachments

• CAM01208.jpg
    CAM01208.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 156
  • CAM01209.jpg
    CAM01209.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 155
  • CAM01210.jpg
    CAM01210.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 151
  • CAM01211.jpg
    CAM01211.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 142
  • CAM01212.jpg
    CAM01212.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 158
Finished mask pics up. Smooth, sleek, and form fitting. :thumbsup
I'd like to know how you did the shoulder plates.
Very nice
They're actually knee pads I picked up from my local hardware store. I coated them in plastidip but I still need to sand off the brand logo.

Attachments

• CAM01223.jpg
    CAM01223.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 149
  • CAM01222.jpg
    CAM01222.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back