Best/quickest way to weather leather?

Hi,
Putting together a Rick Grimes costume from TWD for next week. I got all the components together for the dutybelt and boots and was just looking for some quick, helpful hints on how to make the belt and boots look 'lived' in/weathered.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Okay thanks. Revamping this costume for a Convention next week. What works best to make leather 'limp' or floppy? I.E. -- the strap on Rick's holster? Saddle soap?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Your best bet is probably just working it by hand A LOT. Bend it in all directions and even twist where you can. (Fold it over on itself and work it back and forth with that very tight bend on it) This will loosen and soften it up and also give it a worn, cracked appearance for lack of a better description. Also Pickards saddle soap works wonders on softening which I would use AFTER working the leather by hand.

I hope it's okay, that I ask another question in this thread:

I finally got my gloves for my Road Warrior costume, and I cut them so they do look like they do in the movie. But the edges are to clean. I want them to be rough and frayed. How do I achieve this? I tried it with a wirebrush, but it literally did nothing to the gloves...
Are there any special technics or tools to work with?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back