Franchises your pooped out on but are not supposed to be as a fanboy/girl?

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Despite strong reviews, I have not seen the latest X-Men, did not see First Class either, or the last Captain America.
I might even sort of have Avengers overload, IM3 kinda left me sour.
I guess the last Spidey was good but just can't make myself want to watch.

No better on the DC front, granted I did not like Man of Steel but my interest
was very low in the recent announcements.

Fanboy fail.

I do wish you would catch to up Winter Solider. But if modern comic book movies doesn't appeal to you or rather doesn't hold your interest anymore, doesn't make you less of a fanboy. I know you enjoyed GOTG so obviously you are being modest :), as you are a triumphant fanboy like everyone else.

There is nothing that is "supposed" to be followed by any fanboy/girl. I am sure you will get plenty of responses who will chime in saying they are getting tired of superhero movies. Some might be even comic readers, others just might be who never grew up reading these comic characters so they are not really emotionally invested in them and would rather skip the films altogether. While there are also plenty who didn't read the comics, but still find these movies highly entertaining.

Somebody once mentioned to me, how can I consider myself a sci-fi geek if I am not into Doctor Who. Never watched any previous incarnation of the show and never gotten around to watching the modern ones. I just couldn't bring myself to watch the modern ones without getting into the older shows first. And I probably won't for a long time. I am a sci-fi/comic/movie fanboy by my own terms.

Yeah I think I could drink pure GOTG everyday. LOL

Maybe it is the live action costumed and mutant stuff wearing out and getting old for me.
I still buy high end DC statues and and love Silver Surfer.

For a long time, it was Star Wars. Ep7 is rekindling my joy though haha. I've more or less lost interest in all things DC. Other than Nolan's Batman, nothing's really wowed me, and I'm just not nuts about the characters. As for Marvel, they're going to revoke my nerd card for this but I can't even be bothered to watch the new Spiderman movie.

I'm still all in with the Marvel studios flicks, and plain old gaga about the X-Men FC and DOFP movies (though I'm def pooped out on Wolverine...overused to the max).

Lately, I just can't get into comics, and I used to just eat them up. Walking Dead has gotten boring, and the superhero stuff lately just seems like trash, and poorly drawn trash at that. All the esoteric nerd-trivia is a huge barrier to getting back into Marvel/DC stuff, and if they're not asking you to recall endless minutia, they're repeating the same tired origin stories. It just feels trite. I need a little more meat on the bone.

I could see losing interest in the Walking Dead TV show as well, though I'm not there yet.

The last six months or so my love of fantasy/speculative fiction has mainly been fed on a constant stream of horror.

I get glared at for it all the time but I really can't be bothered about all this Marvel stuff (or even most of DC anymore). Anything with Wolverine? Yawn. Avengers? Agents of SHIELD? GOTG? Meh.

Looking forward to EP.7 but that's about it these days. Slim pickings for me and my tastes. :)

Definitely still Star Wars for me for being burnt out. I grew up with it from 1977. Completely gave up in 2008 as the saturation had left me fed up with it.

While Ep 7 has me mildly curious- I won't watch it. Partly because I just don't want to get caught up all over again in the neverending fandom/collecting etc. My wallet will be happier. ;)

I'm also in Mike's camp about Marvel and DC- I'm pretty much over superhero stuff in general (didn't watch Dark Knight Rises). Used to be over the moon about X-Men, but haven't watched anything since X3. Loved the first 2 Spidey films, but got burned with number 3. Didn't watch the "Amazing" Spidey movies. Watched Ironman, but skipped 2 and 3, Thor and the Avengers. Sick of it all.

However GOTG does look interesting and I'll probably buy it to watch when it comes out.

Kevin

Nope, you are not alone.

I got Spiderman II on DVD. It's been sitting there unwatched for the past 2 weeks.

I watched The Wolverine for the first time on DVD just yesterday.

Pre-ordered X-Men DOFP coming out on DVD on 04 November. Never seen it before.

Got Iron Man III months ago, still haven't seen it. Never seen it before,

The recent trailer for the new Avengers movie didn't even make me blink twice :(

I was all gung-ho when they started with IM, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Green Lantern etc etc, but now its become overload indeed, and you are not alone :thumbsup

I find as I've got older my tastes have actually broadened and I tolerate alot more than I used to. Yes, I agree its entirely possible to get very disgruntled with a franchise, because of a lack of either new ideas or the simply, boringly ,repetitive storylines and characters but the majority of entertainment we get today is hugely better than the work we got in the past.
Yes, there are the classics, Alien, CE3K ,Blade Runner and Star Wars for example ,but they represent a very small and decreasingly watchable portion of films or TV series of the past that are worth your attention today.
I recently got Netflixs and a few other channels and thought I would enjoy alot of my old favourites again but you know what: nostalgia is a tricky mistress. You’ll have forgotten a lot of that terrible messing around and nonsense you put up with for just a few fleeting brilliant moments of intense pleasure.
And when I compare it to the movies and TV shows around today ,the level of scripting, effects and above all characterization is, on the whole greatly improved, and in a few cases, actually beyond anything I‘d hoped for.
The key development for me has been that the big film producers now seem to employ the people that WANT to make these films, who are basically just fans of the medium like we are, who are in it for the worlds they create, not just the paycheck. And they know works for them, and that’s lucky for all of us !!!
I can’t fault Marvel at all, infact characters that I thought of as less interest have been written so well and entertainingly they are vastly superior to their origins. Who would have thought Loki would have made such a complex and enjoyable villain, or a cyber enhanced raccoon could have been so funny and poignantly “human”?
The last few years have been a new golden age for me. Brilliant TV series like “Game of Thrones” the films of the Marvel Universe, even the X men were totally rejuvenated by First Class and then the brilliantly done DOFP. And now the promise of a rejuvenated Star Wars series!!

I haven't watched any of the latest marvel movies after Iron Man 2, i was a diehard marvel fan but they are all just blah to me. I'm that way with most movies and tv shows, it's to the point I only watch documentaries or old history channel shows i have. My latest dvd purchases were the last 2 parts of the 2011 Thundercats series and a collection of 20 old scifi movies from the 90s and earlier.

Superhero movies. ALL of them. I had some hopes for the Kick Ass franchise, but the second one was a bit of a disappointment. Well, there's still Star Wars. Until Dec 2015, anyway. Then?

I'm getting quite selective now. I was ok with X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, Superman and a lot of others that have come out, but I've just stopped with most of those. Pretty much the Marvel Cinematic Universe is what I'm sticking with. It's just got a lot of good stuff going for it.

I was completely burnt out on Star Wars. As many positive things as I heard about The Clone Wars series, I tried, but could never get into it. The prequel era just wreaked of missed opportunities to me. Plus, it just seemed like it was everywhere, at a certain point, and I didn't like being associated with that encarnation of Star Wars. Not so with Rebels. I got into it, immediately. I'm happy to be excited about my favorite franchise again.

Strange days have found me.
As stories hit simply hard to not see all the buzz of course
on forums.
JJ Wars Geezer Solo, Batfleck vs Steelman, Blade Runner Running Again. Avengers Assembling Yet Again, Aging Arnoldnator

Total disinterest. No one is more shocked than I.
I might even get crap from friends that will be frustrated I am not someone to talk to about this stuff.
Friends could get me to Avengers if they want to go. Otherwise not really feeling anything.

Bond will be a forever thing for me. Guardians is my Star Wars now. Interstellar gave me a great star trek. Godzilla forever of course, The Martian
I am excited about despite the Damon casting. Don't really like that guy but the Interstellar appearance I guess takes the sting out of it.
Of course some of those are some time out.

Maybe Max won't suck. But was warned here it might blow so waiting for reviews.

That's FIVE major nerd herd trains I've gotten off and I have my street cred as an OG.

I can relate.

I think what changed for me wasn't my enjoyment of the material itself -- certainly not the old stuff -- but rather how I enjoy the material and especially how I enjoy the new stuff.

Many of these franchises -- Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator -- have gone through some really rough periods where the quality of the material they were putting out was mediocre at best, and craptastic at worst. For me, the disappointment I experienced with the Star Wars franchise from about 1999-2010 or so really ended up changing how I approached fandom in general. I'm still, as I said, a fan of the old stuff, but nowadays, I tend to take a dim-to-reserved view of the new stuff. I also do NOT allow myself to get caught up by hype. That way lies deep disappointment and unmet expectations. Defenders of the Prequels challenged those who disliked it by saying that their expectations were too high. I don't think my expectations were too high, but I definitely went in with expectations that ended up unmet. I allowed myself to get caught up in hype prior to the TPM release. I got psyched by Entertainment Weekly photo shoots, casting news, and the trailer....man, that trailer... That trailer REALLY taught me that you cannot trust a trailer. The trailer for TPM is for an amazing movie. It's better than the movie itself, in my opinion.

Nowadays, I just...don't watch trailers. I try to go into films with zero expectations and as little knowledge about the film (other than casting news here and there) as possible. It makes the experience much more enjoyable, and allows me to be a bit more relaxed in my fandom.

The old stuff will always be there, Han Solo will always be young to me for instance, I still collect, they keep making products for all the original materials for all these franchise generally.
I do keep an eye for new things of course, not like I was not going to movies, last year was a great movie year fo rme, not like I've slammed doors on anything new. I think prequels and JJ Trek took a great toll on me. Remakes of things I didn't think needed remaking, Just lots stuff revisited in directions I can't care about or just sooo much of something it's overload and I can't care like I once did like superhero movies. Of course there is the crotchety old man factor as 50 is getting closer, but I think it's more than that since I am enjoying some new things.

Nowadays, I just...don't watch trailers. I try to go into films with zero expectations and as little knowledge about the film (other than casting news here and there) as possible. It makes the experience much more enjoyable, and allows me to be a bit more relaxed in my fandom.

This is the crux of "burnout" in my opinion. With the vast online communities available and the media saturation of content, there's no anticipation, no long term goal. I already see a bunch of people saying, "Well, I marathon'd my way through Daredevil, now what?" Why would you do that to yourself? As a fan, don't you want to savor this thing you've been anticipating for months?

Another great example is Avengers: Age of Ultron. Between the multiple trailers, TV spots, released clips (e.g. Hulk vs. Hulkbuster), and behind-the-scenes featurettes, I bet a third of that movie is already available or revealed. It makes the actual watching of the thing less enjoyable because we've seen so much of it already.

I have actively avoided most of the stuff on Avengers: AoU, save for the trailers and whatever TV spots happen to come on while I'm, y'know, watching TV. I have also only watched the first 2 episodes of Daredevil; me and my roommate are watching about 2 episodes a week, with a few days in between each, looking forward to it like we would an actual television series. It makes it much more fun, if slightly frustrating, to build up anticipation and then be wow'd when we finally get to watch.

My advice to anyone experiencing burnout: step away. Don't remove yourself completely, but maybe just sit on the edge of the pool rather than submerging yourself in the deep end. If you are burnt out on Star Wars, don't visit the dedicated forum here, and avoid the topic on the movie in the "Entertainment and Movie Talk" forum. Same goes for Marvel, or DC. You fell in love with them for a reason and if you remove ourselves from the constant bombardment of spoilers, media chatter, and reveals, you'll probably end up missing them and rekindle that joy.

As a die-hard Star Wars fan, it pains me to say that I'm burnt out on Star Wars; not even a mild curiosity for Force Awakens. I still have the original movies and I still go to them when I need my fix but seeing old things again in what's supposed to be new things just doesn't get me going.

Also, I'm so glad discussions like these are going now. For some time now I've felt like I was taking crazy pills or something as I'm nowhere near excited for almost everything that's come out like some others. It's so relieving to know others exist.:p

I'm already tired of Star Wars as well. Another franchise I think they should just let rest is the whole Fast and Furious franchise (seriously, how many of those films do there need to be?).

I fell off the Star Wars train about the time "Episode II: Send in the Clowns" came out.

Actually, about the time I walked out of the theater saying "WTF was that ****?" after seeing "Phantom Menace" in '99.

Okay, actually, around '96 when I went to the theater to see the first SPECIAL edition, and Han so flawlessly, and obviously, shot first.
Then there was the animated elevator on Cloud City in ESB that stepped all over the dialog.
Then there was the song'n'dance number in Jabba's palace in ROTJ...

I joined this forum when it was called "The Star Wars Replica Prop Group" because I was a Star Wars fan.
But when Uncle George gave us "Send in the Clowns", I was done - as is evidenced by the fact that everybody here knew me 14 years ago, but nobody knows me now. Because I disappeared for 14 years. Because **** Star Wars.

That's the only franchise that has really alienated me - punched me in the balls and said "Did you like that? There's more where that came from."
Everything else is just movies. I don't take them personally.
If they're fun, they're fun. If they suck, they suck.

To quote Stitch from "Jaynestown": "I've been shot too many times to be scared by a gun, boy".
That quote was relevant a minute ago when it first occurred to me...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back