"HATRED" - A new game sure to REALLY rub people a wrong way...

niennumb1

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's been used as excuse before that games inspired someone to go on a killing spree.

What if the game was about someone who wanted to die and was going to take as many people with him as possible?

I'd say this game would be that one game I would believe to inspire that now:

(WARNING: LANGUAGE and violence)

I've never been for petitioning against a videogame getting released until now. This one just crosses a line into territory that is a very big problem in our country. There is nothing entertaining about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so, I still don't think that video games cause violence in people. That said, it's parents' duty to restrict the games their kids play. And this is NOT a game for kids to play.

As for adults, this basically just seems like a realistic, more grim version of the Postal series. It's also not all that impressive. I mean, the animations and such are pretty much what plenty of companies can produce. So, really, it's just a game built on shock value. You run around and kill everyone you see. And everyone you see is an innocent.

Ok. And?

I mean, honestly, this just seems purpose-built to gin up controversy. Whenever I see that, I tend to assume that the game behind it is otherwise a humdrum affair.

If you want to make it really popular petition against it. Worked for Night Trap.

Leave it be and it'll fade in to obscurity like 90% of games.

Good point. Maybe they are counting on that because any media coverage or stir is free publicity. Ignore it and it could just die off and not get the notice they aimed for.

I read about this on Gamespot. This is idiotic because it's completely plays into the ignorant publics' idea of what gamers are and do. In their eyes if you are a gamer (or own a gun) it's just a matter of time until you snap and go on a killing spree.

I agree this game will only cause a backlash against games and gamers. Last I heard neither steam nor gog had any plans on carrying it and even the developer has realized they need to back off about it.

Meh I don't really think I'd even will play to see what the controversy was about. As above just leave it alone and nobody will care to play it. Make a big deal about it and all the sheep will want to play it.

Guys, you havn't even seen the story yet, how can you alrady have these oppinions. Who knows, maybe he ends up to have one hell of a reason to do what he does in the story.

Reminds me of the movie god bless america, and that movie turned out to be one heck of a story to...

A teaser would give you a sense of what the game is about. There's not even a suggestion there might be a story. There's no question that, in the trailer, they're trying to provoke controversy - hence that's their selling point.

The actual gameplay looks redundant. They could have made something interesting if they played a horror or supernatural angle - e.g. He's possessed, or people are zombies. Or they could have played the dark humor angle by making the people/victims caricatures from suburbia (... or even Sims clones).

If the game was about killing Sims I see a lot of potential humor. What they've shown actually looks pretty boring.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the most idiotic premise for a video game with the most cliche'd main character ever.

Low, gravelly voice? Check.
Anti-people manifesto? Check.
Long, black hair? Check.
Black leather trenchcoat? Check.
Emo/Goth appearance? Check.
AK-47? Check.
Big Honking Knife? Check.

It's like they condensed all of what people see as stereotypical mass murderer stuff and combined it into one character.

Kinda pathetic.

Guys, you havn't even seen the story yet, how can you alrady have these oppinions. Who knows, maybe he ends up to have one hell of a reason to do what he does in the story.

Reminds me of the movie god bless america, and that movie turned out to be one heck of a story to...

A teaser would give you a sense of what the game is about. There's not even a suggestion there might be a story. There's no question that, in the trailer, they're trying to provoke controversy - hence that's their selling point.

The actual gameplay looks redundant. They could have made something interesting if they played a horror or supernatural angle - e.g. He's possessed, or people are zombies. Or they could have played the dark humor angle by making the people/victims caricatures from suburbia (... or even Sims clones).

If the game was about killing Sims I see a lot of potential humor. What they've shown actually looks pretty boring.

To play off of what dascoyne said, maybe there is a compelling reason for the character to take such actions. But even if that's the case, it's sure not being marketed that way. It's being marketed based purely on shock value, and frankly, that suggests to me that the game itself is nothing special.

See, when I see an entertainment product being marketed largely on some sensationalist aspect -- ultraviolence, raunchy sex, some scene that is "controversial," etc. -- I usually assume that that's pretty much the only interesting thing about it. And the thing about sensationalist aspects in this stuff is that the initial "shock" of it wears off...pretty damn quickly. If there's nothing deeper than that -- and from the marketing...there ain't -- then there's nothing to hold your attention or give the shock any deeper meaning. I'm not against art that shocks. But this just looks like pure exploitation. If it's meant to be some deeper commentary on gaming culture and they're engaging in some kind of subversive art...it's pretty buried beneath "OMG HE JUST BLEW A KID'S HEAD OFF!!!"

For a movie, sometimes a moment of shock can work. But that's usually because the rest of the film is engaging in some way. But this being a game, and it being marketed as "You get to run around and..uh..kill people brutally. The end," after about your 4th kill, the novelty will wear off. Once you're at that point...the game will lose its interest. It'll be just another shooter. No different from the myriad other games out there where your character shoots aliens, robots, zombies, whatever.

So, yeah, if this is them putting their best foot forward, I'd say they need some tough-actin' Tinactin for that foot, 'cause it stinks.

That's pretty much the most idiotic premise for a video game with the most cliche'd main character ever.

Low, gravelly voice? Check.
Anti-people manifesto? Check.
Long, black hair? Check.
Black leather trenchcoat? Check.
Emo/Goth appearance? Check.
AK-47? Check.
Big Honking Knife? Check.

It's like they condensed all of what people see as stereotypical mass murderer stuff and combined it into one character.

Kinda pathetic.

Yep, Cliche'd into oblivion. You can tell how budget it is just by the animation in the opener. Who wants this on their CV. lol

I was thinking that, too. First thing I thought was "Man, those hands look AWFUL." I know hands are incredibly hard to do, but still, it just looked like something from the late 90s or early 2000s.

Yeah, that opening scene was crappy animation. Almost like someone did it using a three-version-old edition of Maya on a home computer. Blech.

You realize that'd make the Maya version about 2 1/2 years old? :)

Major FX houses likely still used versions that old and older. They crank out a new version every 12 months. Usually, not enough new to justify upgrading it on a yearly basis. Especially if you're project lasts more than a year.

You realize that'd make the Maya version about 2 1/2 years old? :)

Major FX houses likely still used versions that old and older. They crank out a new version every 12 months. Usually, not enough new to justify upgrading it on a yearly basis. Especially if you're project lasts more than a year.

Fine... Maya Version 2

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back