Pip Boy 3000 (Fallout 3) Patterns/Dimensions?

Double T

Sr Member
Hey folks-

I was just curious if there were any patterns, or dimensions, for the Pip Boy 3000 from the Fallout 3 video game? Sure, I know I can go on Etsy and eBay and get castings of the clock until I'm blue in the face, but I've really got the bug to build one on my own. However, because it's baby steps, I'm not quite ready to try to figure out the dimensions myself!

I figure it's a bit of a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone had any plans/patterns/dimensions for this piece?

Thanks if you can help, and if you can't, it's no big thing! Thanks anyway!
Tony

Nixon - Bookmarked and starting to look over. Thank you!

mssleeper - Small opening = wrist and large opening = forearm? Thank you, as well! 3D printing looks awesome, but alas... no printer, no money.

Yeah, the small opening is the wrist part. My arms are pretty small and it fits me well, but my guy friends it is super snug on. Depending on your body size you may want to make it bigger.

Are you going to freehand the whole thing or are you going to try and do a pep? You could in theory modify dragonator's STLs to turn into a pep, but it will be a bit of work since they are pretty high detail.

Since I'm just looking for something for a Halloween costume, and I have the urge to do something cheap, quick, and dirty that goes with my Bethesda Store Vault 101 jumpsuit, I'm just going to freehand/scratch build it, probably using foam and plastic, since that's what I have handy.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the sizes. I am definitely a Gentleman of Weight, so I might want to look into sizing it up a bit, so it fits better.

That's actually exactly what I'm thinking! Validation is sweet! :)

Seriously, as this is the first time I've attempted to build something that wasn't in a garage kit, it is pretty sweet to hear that what I'm thinking is actually a good idea.

Don't I wish I could find this fairly cheap. I uploaded just one piece for the Pip Boy, and the cheapest was $30. That Pip Boy has a lot of pieces. Thanks though, man. I appreciate it.

As it's just for work and a party, plus since I want to see if I can, I'm going with the "close enough" scratch build. Let's face it, it's complimenting a Bethesda Store jumpsuit that I haven't done any wearing to, yet, anyway, so it's barely going to be "hall costume" quality as it is. I'll focus on "convention quality" over the winter.

Oh yes, I had seen your thread as I was digging around for information. I think you're a couple steps up from the level I'm looking to work with, however. *laughs*

That is excellent reference for when I redo this for convention season, and do it right, though! Thanks!

I know 3D printing is the future. But if you have a lathe or a router table then you can knock up the bare bones of a pip boy in a couple of hours.

Don't I wish I could find this fairly cheap. I uploaded just one piece for the Pip Boy, and the cheapest was $30. That Pip Boy has a lot of pieces. Thanks though, man. I appreciate it.

I have to apologize for that suggestion because I had only printed small parts. I plugged all the PB files into it and the estimate was $584!!!

War Poodle - Sadly, I currently have access to neither of those, so I'll be cheating with PVC, foam, and styrene today.

Sluis - Dude, never apologize for throwing out what you think is a good suggestion! I appreciated it, and I do that that bookmarked for future reference! Keep being awesome, man!

Thanks, man. It's probably the first thing I've really put together since a Proton Pack back in '06, and it felt pretty good. It came out a lot better than I thought it would.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back