Captain Cold - CW The Flash

So so so so so
AWESOME!

Super jealous over here... Was going to do a foam one for a con in October, but I'm not sure I'll be happy with that now.

What's the weight like?

Now for the inevitable question: any chance you'll take commissions? For just the pieces parts? I'd definitely want to do the painting, assembly and LEDs myself.

It's very lightweight, but also designed to be plenty strong. I wouldn't smash it against concrete, but it'll take typical convention bumps and bruises just fine.

As far as commissions, maybe. We'll see how this turns out in the end.

EDIT: If there is enough interest, I would be up for making molds of the completed shell halves and the front assembly pieces. There has to be enough confirmed orders of the shell, though, to warrant getting the mold-making materials.

Last edited:
Someone say "Cold Gun"?

13575968_10104023908791442_6080816591677613334_o.jpg

Finally got a restock on filament this week and was able to print out the rest of the shell. Apologies for the poor photo quality; they were all taken on my phone.
20160716_220735_zpsi2lgudvf.jpg

Here's the overall parts breakdown
20160716_220016_zpskhblfr85.jpg

The two main halves were printed out of 7 individual pieces that were then "glued" together using ABS goo, a mix of ABS plastic and acetone
20160716_220038_zpsmnz2nzao.jpg

20160716_220027_zps6jinvtzj.jpg

The front assembly has two different arch pieces (one top, one bottom), as well as the business end of the gun and its various greebles
20160716_220114_zpsgpxykoem.jpg

20160716_220126_zpsidqb7pbf.jpg

20160716_220136_zpscyvzs0bp.jpg

20160716_220212_zpsynerpdul.jpg

20160716_220158_zpsdrck2bj8.jpg

20160716_220229_zpswb8vdob3.jpg

Here's the business end with the various greebles where they will be glued down
20160716_220352_zpsv5eodtcy.jpg

Overall, while there were a few prints that failed most of the way through their 16+ hour print time, most of the printing went extremely well. I printed at 0.1mm resolution for the entire project. I probably could've bumped it up to 0.2mm and been just fine (and halved the print time) but I wanted the finish to be extra nice on these parts. I'll be lightly brushing some acetone throughout the entire surface of the prop to fuse the filament layers and even it out somewhat (you can see the start of this where the parts are really shiny compared to the rest). I have some light gap-filling that still has to be done, but aside from that, this baby is ready for electronics and screw fittings!

I searched my ass off for that jacket, dude, but no luck so far. I'll keep looking though. In the meantime, does anyone have any news on the DC Collectibles Cold Gun? I preordered it a LONG time ago and got an email saying it was canceled by the manufacturer, but I'm still seeing stuff saying it will be released in the fall.

Sorry, but I don't think I'll be posting them anywhere for a while yet. They're not what I'd call a "finished product" in terms of perfect screen accuracy anyway.

Hey everyone!
I'm going to be cosplaying Cold at London MCM this coming Saturday and I've finally completed my Cold Gun! It's modeled on the NERF Cyclone but heavily modified - I removed the barrel entirely and dremelled out quite a lot of the body to get the right shape. The panels with the energy bar, as well as the pointy bits/firing mechanisms on the end of the gun are all 3D printed, but the rest is foam.
The energy bar itself is EL tape which has been wired inside the body of the gun (the battery pack is hiding in a removable slot on the base), and the side bits of the goggles were made with milliput! If you want me to upload my progress photos (if that would be helpful to anyone) I'd be happy to, but here's the finished piece!

(it's the first prop I've actually ever made :S)
View attachment 627540View attachment 627541View attachment 627542

Can you send me progress pictures...

So, 4219 Industries... how goes the cold gun? Any progress images to share?

The first bit of my "Lady" Captain Cold project arrived in the mail on Friday - the Bobster Pistons - so this is suddenly a lot more real. =) After I finish up the goggles, the cold gun will be next. I just know it will take 2 or 3 times longer than I think it will... always does. It's my goal to be in bed earlier than midnight the night before a con one day... LOL.

And speaking of the Pistons, I'm going to be experimenting with two ways of tinting the lenses blue - using the heat and RIT dye method and using liquid stained glass paint to coat the inside. I'll pick up some cheap polycarbonate safety glasses from Home Depot to experiment with before tackling the real ones.

Anyone have any luck popping the lenses out of the frames without damaging them? Since there's nothing really to disassemble, I'm assuming they must have just been pressed in...

Thanks!

Hello

Could you post progress phtos of your Cold gun please as I have the same NERF gun :) Yes I know this is old but I recently decided to cosplay as CC.

Thank You

Never mind I saw your link to the photos

I would also love even just the STL files of the gun. Partially for selfish reasons, but partially because my brother-in-law bears a not-insignificant resemblance to Wentworth Miller and I've been trying to subtly hint to him to do a CC costume.

I did have pictures of the quasi-finished Cold Gun, but they were lost when I reset my phone. :-/ I wasn't able to work on the electronics beyond a very rudimentary set of sidebar lights, for which I used some basic LED strips from Radio Shack. They didn't provide the uniform bar of light I'd like, so they've since been scrapped.

The electronics as a whole have been put on hold until the model gets a bit more refined (I may have also been heavily distracted by getting into the X-Wing Miniatures tabletop game). I did magnetize the gun so it can come apart pretty easily but hold together well enough, though this adds a seam down the center where the halves come together which isn't screen-accurate at all.

Honestly, I may just sell the gun I currently have so I can start a new one from scratch. There's nothing really wrong with it, but starting from the beginning again would probably give me the motivation to see it to completion. Plus, selling the gun would give me funds for a LOT more printer filament.

I'll get a picture of the gun as it is now and post it when I can.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back