First Sculpt - Help Needed

T3utonicT3rror

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has pointed me to this site to gain some inspiration and pickup tips and tricks. I have to admit I am blown away by some of the work on here! Such skill and talent.

Anyhow, I'm currently trying to make a sculpt for a bit of fun and time permitting a halloween mask ( end goal ). Anyway here is some pics of where I am up too at the moment with it :

1379902_10152523540073720_5702078724314399349_n.jpg1619384_10152524493928720_4867464597798982836_n.jpg

The Teeth will not be staying in for the casting, i have placed them in the mask just to test how things look.

What i need a bit of advise with is once I have finished the sculpting process ( getting close now, just need to smooth and finalise ). What is the best way to make a cast of this? I will be using latex for the final mould so I can wear it. I thought about making it a 2 piece mould and using plaster of paris to make the cast but i know this is not the strongest way and I would like the cast to be re-usable after.

I look forward to meeting some of you guys and hopefully learning more about this process :)

Thanks in advance guys and please don't be too harsh, it is my first ever attempt at anything like this.

Regards
Chris

Just a quick update .... in the stages of smoothing everything off now and adding in the final details. This I'm going to cast this in plaster of paris and then use liquid latex in the stage after that.

1010478_10152525352558720_3789226687743617664_n.jpg

You are on the right track, but I would try and find a stronger plaster. See if you have a fibreglass supplier in your area as they often carry the stronger plasters. Failing that see if there are any dental suppliers for hard plaster.

You are on the right track, but I would try and find a stronger plaster. See if you have a fibreglass supplier in your area as they often carry the stronger plasters. Failing that see if there are any dental suppliers for hard plaster.

Agreed. Plaster of Paris isn't going to get you very far. It can be very brittle and will lose detail almost immediately after the first couple castings. I would recommend finding Ultracal-30 plaster. It is the preferred plaster for mask making, very strong, and lasts cast after cast. Sometimes construction supply stores or pottery shops will carry it. You can get it online, but shipping can be expensive.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back