Definitive ANH Falcon Interior

SteveStarkiller

Sr Member
It's been a year or so since I completed (more or less) the Falcon interior I'd been working on since about 2010. A college degree's worth of time has elapsed since I first started, and now I'm doing it all over again from the bottom.

This all new version is based on photogrammetry, obsessive research, and sourcing as many original parts and props as possible. These renders represent about three months work (I think it took me a year or more to get to this point last time.)

my goal is to have a finished product that, when rendered, is indistinguishable from stills of the real set. Piece of cake, right?

rare reference is always appreciated, and if you happen to know what any props were originally based on, I'm always open to hearing about it. Also, I welcome any critiques, if something doesn't look right to you I want to know about it.

thanks, and enjoy!

mf01.jpg

mf02.jpg

mf04.jpg

Thanks guys!

Think I tracked down the buckle used on the crash couch. Or at least something close enough.

Anyone know anything about the bubble-wrap they used on the straps? Maybe I'm making it up, but I remember someone way back talking on here about bubble-wrap on ANH.

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-6422.jpg

Safecraft_Harness_Camlock1.jpg

buckles1.jpg

buckles2.jpg

Food for thought: I've always been under the impression that the in-universe size of the training remote was (at least in 1977) intended to be smaller than the studio model. The way it was compositied in front of Luke, it looks to me roughly softball sized.

Thanks for the food for thought, Treadwell!

so this is not the most scientific approach in the world, but it's yielding results I want, so I'm gonna go ahead and roll with it.

this may look like a hasty photoshop job, but actually I cut out luke and the remote from a screencap and imported them onto a single plane in the 3D space of my model. I scaled the image so that Luke's height is 5'9", and placed the plumb-line axis of his body on the floor-pallet he was standing on. Assuming the remote is on a plane with his line of sight, we can get an idea of the ball's dimensions. And without any other fiddling than scaling to fit Mark Hamill's listed height, the ball comes out to 6" (which is what I've got for my model of the remote)

but then again, that is a bunch of cut-and-paste, and eye-balling, looking for specific results, based on a film composite 37 years old so..... a grain of salt.

luke example.jpg
luke.jpg

oh yeah, don't let me forget to mention a lot of barrel distortion from the wide angle lens used in this shot, which makes photogrammetry really skewed, or impossible. ( I should point out that the image on which I based the photomatch for my model is from the same angle, but not with a wide angle lens, so the lens distortion is small enough to work with)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back