Clara Oswald - It's time

I'd argue that both Martha and Donna were not-quite-so-all-important companions. It's really been Rose, Amy, and now Clara who were the most visibly Important with a capital "I".

Donna had some of the super important nonsense but not quite as bad. Martha was a nice throwback to the older companions who just tagged along then left.

Donna had some of the super important nonsense but not quite as bad. Martha was a nice throwback to the older companions who just tagged along then left.

The problem with Martha was that she was in lurv with the Doctor, but he didn't feel the same way. So that created an annoying dynamic. Again, Rose's influence there. With Donna, there was some of the "Companion saves the Doctor" stuff, but it wasn't like she was somehow "destined" to do that. At least, to the extent they played with any of that stuff, it was fairly limited. Donna just struck me as much more grounded of a companion than any of the others.

The problem with Martha was that she was in lurv with the Doctor, but he didn't feel the same way. So that created an annoying dynamic. Again, Rose's influence there. With Donna, there was some of the "Companion saves the Doctor" stuff, but it wasn't like she was somehow "destined" to do that. At least, to the extent they played with any of that stuff, it was fairly limited. Donna just struck me as much more grounded of a companion than any of the others.
That's kinda the point.

Rose was like your first girlfriend
Martha was the rebound who's heart you inevitably break
Donna was the safe friend you have after because you're tired of the games

That's kinda the point.

Rose was like your first girlfriend
Martha was the rebound who's heart you inevitably break
Donna was the safe friend you have after because you're tired of the games

Yeah, I understand that. I'm saying that the whole "who's the Doctor's girlfriend" dynamic is part of the problem. That was interesting at first, but it's gotten old. It sort of made sense with 10, but it continued with 11. 9 and 12 seem to be more...hmm...ambiguous in terms of the role they play.

It annoyed me that Clara's relationship with the Doctor seemed to appear fully formed. There was no real explanation for her strong attachment other than that it's what we're supposed to expect in a Companion after the last few. I can understand the value of having a human along for the ride as a story-teling tool to give the audience a voice, but I think that making them suddenly some all-important key to the Universe undermines that conceit. I think Capaldi's Doctor is strong enough to hold his own on the show for a while after Clara leaves and I'd welcome a few episodes at least of him going solo.

The companion is always female. Side note: male companions -- with the exception of Captain Jack Harkness -- are almost always played for laughs, only occasionally getting moments where they redeem themselves by actually rising to a level one might call "merely competent."
Now that you mention it, with the exception of the guys in UNIT all the male companions since the show went color have been annoying, incompetent and/or up to something.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back