Anyone know how to create a Liquid Metal Effect?

DaveServo

I'm trying to create a liquid metal effect that looks splattered. I've had a little luck with the adhesive backed foil used to chrome parts of model kits but it goes on flat. What I'd really like is something I could apply out of a tube like model cement that would dry with some shape to it. I've thought of applying some sort of glue and then painting it with Alclad 2 (which I've never used) but I figure it would be quite time consuming and difficult especially where the glue meets the surface of the model. I've also thought of mixing the Alclad 2 with some sort of glue directly but I thought I would ask here before taking that leap. Any ideas?

Not exactly sure what look you're going for, but melted solder dropped on a piece of paper might be what you need. Peel it off and glue it to your model.

TazMan2000

That's on of the first things I tried although I only tried a soldering iron and the solder just coated that. Perhaps I can melt a bunch in a small container over the stove. I had pretty much forgotten I even tried it to begin with so thanks for reminding me. I think I'll revisit!

Maybe melted candle wax (Black colored candle)will work aswell,..it gives great splash effects .
Coated with a varnish or black gloss paint and than alclad chrome.

That's on of the first things I tried although I only tried a soldering iron and the solder just coated that. Perhaps I can melt a bunch in a small container over the stove. I had pretty much forgotten I even tried it to begin with so thanks for reminding me. I think I'll revisit!

Use more solder, once the iron is tinned it will ball up and drip off. Or buy some plumbers solder and use a blow torch or lighter(be quick with the lighter).

This may be lame but they have a silver hot glue you can order (also comes in gold) may not give you the right color you're looking for, but it's easy enough to make a nice big glob of hot glue. I used it to mimic a weld bead. Worked like a charm and looked pretty good. Just a thought

The soldering iron technique would look pretty sweet. Just put a good bit on the iron, than smack the
handle onto a hard surface. Instant splat solder! I do this quite frequently, to clean the tip of my iron sometimes.

Mix up some resin, splatter droplets onto some wax paper and then have it chrome plated. There are several vacuum metallizing companies out there. Some of them have specific mounting instructions for items to be plated. But as long as the droplets are smooth surfaces, the chrome plating would make it look like liquid metal. Unless you didn't want the mirror like surface.

You could try building your shapes with regular hot glue then hand painting over it with silver "liquid leaf" paint? I used that method to make gold tendrils on a wand the other day worked quite well.

I don't know if this is similar to the effect your looking for but I made these tests a while back:

FQpHDjl.jpg

Take some bondo, mix with fiberglass resin so it's quite goopy, then add hardener and place it down where you want.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back