Weeping Angel 2.0 (With Pics)

thelangley

So after building my first weeping angel ( http://www.therpf.com/f9/weeping-angel-pics-213274/?highlight=weeping+angel ) and then working out some better tactics with the creation of the she-wraith ( http://www.therpf.com/f62/i-call-her-she-wraith-213477/?highlight=weeping+angel ) I thought I'd take another stab a new weeping angel.

The guy who bought the first one asked me to do another one, this time in "attack mode" and not covering its face. Challenge accepted, and here's how it went.

I followed the same basic technique I used in the other projects, which meant hunting down a mannequin that was as close to the pose I wanted as possible. This usually takes some time, but in the process, I did find a couple fixture stores in the city that had old and discounted mannequins. I finally settled on this headless one for about $90. I had a head leftover from the the she-wraith so no big deal about the headlessness.

IMG_8790.jpg

One of the things that I wanted to do with this one, was make it come apart for ease of transport. This caused some interesting issues to work out when it came to wings, but I'll get ot that later. This particular mannequin was an Anne Taylor dummy. (I was told when I got it. Not that it matters at all but yeah.) Its arms are attached by super crazy strong magnets which was interesting. I kinda wish that it had been one w some kinda clips bc in the end it made one of the arms a slightly unstable.

I put off working on the arms and started doing the lower dress part. This again, like the others, was done with a sheet, draped around the lower torso then slathered with "monster mud" and then a coat or two of fiberglass resin.

IMG_8817.jpg

Next I went ahead and started cutting the arms into a position I wanted. In an attack pose. I also bought some other "grabby" type hands from the mannequin place for a couple bucks. I cut and taped and plaster bandaged the arms and hands into a rough position. Here she is w the other head stick on too.

IMG_8825.jpg

Now the part I hate most - Carving wings. Previously I had taken some foam board, loaded up a ton of expanding foam and then carved out the wings. This time I tried something different. I got huge piece of pink styrofoam board from Home Depot, and cut out four wings. I glued two to each other and the other two to each other. Basically to give each wing some width. From there, I drew out the feathers, and started hacking away with the razor blade. Shortly into this method I came up with a better way to shape the wings and feathers - using a power sander. This foam was much denser than the expanding foam so it was able to be sanded away without ripping apart. This made things go much easier and faster.

IMG_8846.JPG

Now I had to figure out how to attach them so they not only looked good but also could be removed for transportation. I liked the idea of strong magnets like the arms but it just wasn't doable. I eventually went with pvc pipe and connectors.

IMG_8838.jpg IMG_8847.jpg

Here's what the connectors looked like (after slathering the wings with "monster mud" and resin.

IMG_8870.jpg IMG_8871.jpg

I built up the "wing nub" on the body with bondo and glued the pvc into the wing. Worked out rather nicely. I had trouble at first getting the thing to fit just right together, so I drilled out the hole a little more so it was loose fitting, then used a pin to hold the wing in place when it was slid into the body.

I found a dress that was pretty close to the angel's top, so I grabbed that, and then again, more "monster mud" and fiberglass.

IMG_8861.jpg IMG_8869.jpg

Ok, now we were getting somewhere. Or so I thought. I ended up redoing the shirt and dress in the end because I found a wedding dress that flared out more at the bottom, and then I wanted the shirt to hang a little lower. This was a slight issue bc it couldn't be too tight against the body or I couldn't "unscrew" the top torso when taking it apart. But it all eventually worked out.

I wasn't sure how I was going to do the head/face though. I had seen weeping angel masks around online, but most of them were just front shells. There was a shop on Etsy called Needful Things that had a full latex weeping angel mask that didn't look too bad, and I was going to just put that over the head and then fiberglass it to stiffen it up.

DO NOT BUY FROM NEEDFUL THINGS!

I ordered the mask in Aug. At the time of this post, it still has yet to show up. I have attempted several communications that were met with 'oh, I'll ship it next week' and finally I asked for a refund, which hasn't happened either.

Anyway, due to the lack of head, I had to sculpt it myself. Which actually turned out better than I thought it would. It also didn't have to be perfect because any little imperfections would be filled in w mud and paint.

I made a mold and cast the head. I was able to do a little more tweaking w the resin cast (I used Rebound 25 for the mold and Tap Plastics version of Smooth Cast to cast it)

IMG_9218.jpg IMG_9249.jpg

Here it is roughly stuck on the angel's neck.

IMG_9226.jpg

So I was pretty pleased with how this was turning out but it bothered me that the dress didn't flare out very much, which was my own fault for not fixing that in the beginning. I stopped by Goodwill, which had all kinds of Halloween stuff out at this time of year. I found a cheap wedding dress and cut the top half off. I redid the bottom, this time using chicken wire to make a "bell" shape to rest the dress on while it dried from the "monster mud" then resin. I ended up leaving it under there for support in the end.
The top also looked like it wasn't long enough at this point, so I used another sheet to make it longer. The nice thing about "monster mud" is that you can easily cover seams.

Note: I had also been sorta painting things along the way with just spray paint and experimenting with different techniques.

IMG_9293.jpg IMG_9309.jpg

So at this point I ran into another issue. The bottom "bell" was only attached by fiberglass at the top of the lower torso. Which is fine if I never moved it, but it wasn't very strong and would fall apart for sure if I tried to move it much. So I figured I'd fill the bell with foam and stuffing for support. However, it was hard to get it to turn over w/o falling apart. I had to use a hoist to lift the thing up, shoot some foam up there to make the top sturdy enough to be able to flip over. It was quite a thing. In the future I'd need to find a better way to attach the dress to the legs.

IMG_9325.jpg

I build a sort of foam wall using the chicken wire for support around the perimeter of the inside, then filled the rest with about four cans of expanding foam and some batting (cotton stuffing) that was lying around. Then more foam. It seemed to build a pretty solid support system. Enough that it could be moved w/o out worry of falling apart.

After all that, I just went over a few soft places with more fiberglass resin, and started work on painting and then detail painting.

Here's how she turned out in the end:
IMG_9357.jpg IMG_9364.JPG IMG_9368.jpg IMG_9372.jpg

DO NOT BLINK!!!!!!! Whatever you do DO NOT BLINK!!!!

Your Weeping Angel in attack mode is absolutely AMAZING!!! I am totally beyond impressed with your workmanship and attention to detail.

My wife and I are HUGE Doctor Who fans and as soon as I saw you post, I checked it out immediately. Simply awesome!!! I love the whole concept of the Weeping Angels...just freaks me out!!! It's like you see one, your totally screwed unless you are with the Doctor.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to put together all the detailed info and pics of your processes and finished workmanship.

If someone wanted to scare the crap out of me, all they would have to do is put your statue directly outside of the door into my home. I would need to have one of those Life-Alert badges on since I would keel over...seriously!

I LOVE IT!!!

Haha, thanks for the compliments. They really are one of the best creepy monsters around, but I think I've become desensitized after staring at pictures and source material for so long. I can think of a few people I'd like to scare. Just drop it off in the middle of the night in front of their house. Muahaha....

So awesome!!! Looks right out of a Doctor Who episode! Really, really love the attack mode. Your exceptional talent is easy to see and you did such a beautiful job capturing the terror of the angel. I can just imagine it getting ready to move closer if I look away. LOVE IT!!!

I love how you make something so AWESOME out of everyday things. As if this scary soul was always in those manikins waiting to be let out.

So cool! I've wanted to do smaller versions of the angels for our garden. :) Very impressive work. I love how the clothing came out, and I think your head/face is pretty spot on. Being statues, they aren't perfect on the show either, and I think you have that reflected here just right. Very well done!

So cool! I've wanted to do smaller versions of the angels for our garden. :) Very impressive work. I love how the clothing came out, and I think your head/face is pretty spot on. Being statues, they aren't perfect on the show either, and I think you have that reflected here just right. Very well done!

Yeah, that's what's nice about "statues." You have a little space to be perfect by not being perfect. Thanks for the compliments!

My son loves Dr Who, but im just a halloween girl. That would be cool to place outside & let him come upon it. Lol

Steel Roses

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back