Removing super glue from plexi: possible?

Treadwell

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I goofed, and have a smear on smoked plexi. I need to get it off without a trace.

I'm thinking acetone would remove the glue but would also cloud the plexi.

Is all lost?

Break fluid on a cotton ball old model trick it's surface tention is so low will get under the glue or paint and not effect the finish of the plexus let it sit over night and it will wipe.away in the morning

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

IMO what you want to do is technically impossible. Cured cyanoacrylate "super glue" and "plexi" plastic are both acrylics; the bond is molecular between essentially identical materials, so there is no way to "undo" it chemically without damaging the item.

However, with the right selection of abrasives it should be possible to sand and polish the "goof" away. Depending upon how thick the glue smear is, you might start by wet-sanding with 600 grit paper (or coarser or finer as needed), then as you get the blemish out, repeat wet-sanding with finer grits of paper, then finish off with a plastic polish such as Novus #2. If the Novus #2 treatment reveals scratches left behind from the sandpaper, you can go back over it with Novus #3 (scratch remover), then #2 again for a perfect finish.

Unfortunately Scotophor is right - Cyanoacrylate is the chemical name for Superglue and Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) for Plexiglas aka Acrylic Glass. The similar chemical parts are the crystallized acryl bond. Differing them is the Cyano C=N bond and the mesh-like Methlymeth bond.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back