kokkari

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well I love doing these Hasbro conversions, so I thought I would be one of the first to start tearing this thing apart and converting it to something hopefully great. It's a Walmart exclusive that I per-ordered back in August and received last week. It's smaller than the Hasbro BMF coming in at 28". My understanding from other RPF members is that it's around 1/48 scale. Unlike the original BMF the proportions are pretty spot on. It's entirely made of Polypropylene, so bonding glue and paint will be difficult. So far I what I want to do with it is cut out all windows and the built in landing globs of plastic. Build a detailed cockpit with lighting throughout the whole ship. Obviously build all the detail for the sidewalls, build a proportioned radar dish, make an interchangeable flying and landing gear change out, add lots of detail, and something with the engine vents that I haven't come up with yet. Like a lot of you I kind of figure stuff out as I go along.

Here are a couple of photos of it before I started tearing apart and next to my BMF conversion.
20141012_121209.jpg20141010_121131.jpg20141010_120856.jpg

First thing is to cut out all the windows. It's not hard to cut out with a dremel and utility/exacto knife. The problem is sanding the Polypropylene. It just kind of shreds and balls up when you sand it. The cuts will obviously need to be smoothed out further.
20141018_112410.jpg20141010_120636.jpg
20141018_164740.jpg20141010_120652.jpg
20141018_160631.jpg20141010_120738.jpg

Last edited:
The inside of the jaw boxes are hollow so I needed to fit in some styrene to start building up this area.
20141018_160834.jpg

Good work Kokkari!!

Maybe we will need some liquid like acetone to refinish the cutted surface instead of sanding. I don't know it exactly but maybe someone can give us a hint on it.

I just used steel files to clean up the cut edges on my big X-Wing. Came out looking very nice and smooth. I don't see a great need for sandpaper at all.

--Alex

After a long hiatus of collecting kits and not building them this looks like a good place to [re]started getting my hands dirty again. I've taken my new Hasbro MF apart to see what's what and where to start. So, I will be following and maybe participating here a bit.

Has anyone tried 3M DP8005 for bonding PE. Supposedly that's what it is for. Pricey and a bit tricky to use 3M stuff usually does what it claims.

I thinking about whether to leave the interior as it is or creating an interior "frame" to attach the exterior halves to. Anyone have any thoughts, etc about that? One way to get around the PE bonding issue is to create this interior using more friendly material(s) and then using mechanical clips or the like to attach the exterior (also allows doing something with all those holes in the bottom half for the screws).

Kokkari,

Thanks for starting this thread. Were the jaws on yours parallel? Mine are not so I need to come up with a way to deal with that. Do you intend to modify the recessed access areas in the mandibles (and elsewhere) so there is an overhang for the exterior plating? This is one of those things where I would move the recessed parts (including the landing gear attachments) to an interior frame.

The Star Wars section in my Walmart has 5 items, not including legos. Pathetic. Im going to do a quick acetone wash and or use brake cleaner. Brake cleaner is quick dissolving (like five seconds) followed by a quality primer.

In the end, if the plastic is so slippery that nothing can stick to it.........I foresee people molding it into a workable kit.

Last edited:
Kokkari,

Thanks for starting this thread. Were the jaws on yours parallel? Mine are not so I need to come up with a way to deal with that. Do you intend to modify the recessed access areas in the mandibles (and elsewhere) so there is an overhang for the exterior plating? This is one of those things where I would move the recessed parts (including the landing gear attachments) to an interior frame.

Mine were pretty parallel. I was able to just cut out styrene sheets and glued them in with E6000 glue (which works fantastic on this plastic BTW). I plan adding detail to the inside of the mandibles, but I'm not sure which part you are referring to with armor plate overhang?

Mine were pretty parallel. I was able to just cut out styrene sheets and glued them in with E6000 glue (which works fantastic on this plastic BTW). I plan adding detail to the inside of the mandibles, but I'm not sure which part you are referring to with armor plate overhang?

Hope theres no confusion here that the mandibles are supposed to toe in and are not meant to be parallel

J

Hope theres no confusion here that the mandibles are supposed to toe in and are not meant to be parallel

J
There is not on my end. The toe in on this baby is part of what makes it so great. Someone finally got it right. Mythshaker referred to the jaw boxes being parallel, which I'm assuming he means from a side or head on view.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back