So I want to make my engines light up like the studio models (One solid strip in the back). Wiring and lighting is not a problem for me, but can anyone direct me on what material will give me that semi translucent effect? Also where I can purchase it? Thanks.

Holy Batman,

Those of you who paid $150 thought you were being screwed

Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 5.23.32 PM.png

And it has disappeared from Walmart's online store altogether.

Clear plastic sheet of some sort with a frosting agent on it should do the job. The real trick I've found though is to not place the light source too close to the clear piece. The further away it is and with more reflected light from silver paint inside and/or foil coverings should help to make the engine bay glow nice and even.

So I want to make my engines light up like the studio models (One solid strip in the back). Wiring and lighting is not a problem for me, but can anyone direct me on what material will give me that semi translucent effect? Also where I can purchase it? Thanks.

Milk jug type material. Something this big, maybe a cheap tupperware type container or large plastic bucket.

Milk jug type material. Something this big, maybe a cheap tupperware type container or large plastic bucket.

Bingo. If you are in a pinch, you can take a clear piece of plastic and sand it with a high grit sand paper like 600. Even strokes the entire length of plastic. Then cut.

So glad someone has started one of these. I can't do a thing at the moment as I'm waiting on a big move. Sitting on ya hands is a little eaiser with you guys at it. lol Nice work so far man. Following this and the BIG X with great interest. :)

Out of curiosity, which Falcon version are you converting to? The “64 incher” or the “32 incher”?

Mark
What Junk Pilot said. Even though it has details of both ships, the majority is of the 32", especially on the top rear. Plus most reference photos I have are of the 32" and I've always been partial to that one. Although, I do like the shape of the 5ft. cockpit and this model's cockpit seems to look more like that to me.

Wow I nearly missed this as I am normally looking in the star wars c&p threads. I am going to follow this one very closely.

I bought one of these, at the mo they are £29 over here so nothing to lose. I plan a complete makeover although probably not to your standards :)
my biggest worry is getting paint to stick, i hate these "waxy" plastics. would it be a good idea to thin down the e6000 and use as a primer? is that even possible?
Also will you be adding an internal frame to strengthen?

After reading about the radar being oversized radar on this I decided to photograph the ship with the original radar and the spare BMF radar dish I have. There's no question about the difference it makes.

P1100782.JPGP1100781.JPG

After reading about the radar being oversized radar on this I decided to photograph the ship with the original radar and the spare BMF radar dish I have. There's no question about the difference it makes.

View attachment 393174View attachment 393180
Looks good. I finally stopped being lazy the other day and pulled out my calculator to figure out what would be the correct size dish as compared to the 32"falcon. If this falcon iis .875 the size of the 32",the dish should be around 2.625". So that falls somewhere between the included one and the BMF.

I think the dish should be the same diameter as the cockpit tube , the front of the jaw & the outer ring on the docking bays

J

I think that's a good idea in theory, but that is assuming all sizes of this falcon are proportional to the studio model. In my opinion, and I am by no means an expert, I would go for a diameter that is proportional to the overall length and width of the falcon. Just my opinion though.

I think that's a good idea in theory, but that is assuming all sizes of this falcon are proportional to the studio model. In my opinion, and I am by no means an expert, I would go for a diameter that is proportional to the overall length and width of the falcon. Just my opinion though.

Hi Kokkari.

Me too I've been doing some calculations about the dish diameter. If the cockpit tube external diameter is something around 64 mm -and it seems correctly proportional to the Hasbro size-, the radar dish diameter should be the same. I've resized my 3D model to 64 mm diameter.

It's not possible to make direct conversions between the Studio Scale model, the MPC model or the 5 footer model. If you want to know the proportion between the total length of the model and the dish diameter, the results are totally different... I've tried and no luck to have a good and definitive result.

Many thanks for your measurements and help!

I've been working on the landing gear flaps that cover the holes left by cutting off the knobs. I started by gluing in some 1/2" wood strips on the inside. Then I used some magnets to hold the flaps on. The idea is to have interchangeable landing gear with flaps that will inset in their place. I'm hoping to purchase some created by one of our RPF members. If not, I'll build them later. The site if not letting upload photos right now (probably the dam kids sucking up band with) I will post photos later.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back