My life-size GROOT sculpture….

artbypaul

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started this 8 foot tall "GROOT" sculpture/statue yesterday morning… It's still a work-in-progress.

I used plumbing pipe insulators, foam squares and sculpted the head and hands out of clay… The hands are still hardening and will be hand-painted and installed tomorrow.

It is all hand painted and the wood-grain texture was inked in by hand with permanent Indian ink.

I took this last night… Head was sculpted but not painted yet…
IAMGROOTSTATUEWIPbyPAUL_zps14dab8c7.jpg

And this photo was taken earlier today after the first few layers of paint on the head, along with some of the moss application.

GROOTpaintFACEWIP2_zps84d3e436.jpg

More to come...

Wow! looks great!
Are you serious that you whipped that out in 2 days!?!? Incredible!

I'm wondering what you use to stick the foam together? Is it glued/pinned/stitched? something else?

Wow! looks great!
Are you serious that you whipped that out in 2 days!?!? Incredible!

I'm wondering what you use to stick the foam together? Is it glued/pinned/stitched? something else?

Thanks Duncanator!

Yes, I work very fast when inspired! I used a staple gun and screws and washers to attach the foam tubes in discreet areas where they wouldn't be visible. I made the mistake of using a glue gun at first, but quickly realized it just melted the foam! I burned my finger pretty good and that was it for the glue gun, LOL!
I do create quickly, but this might be a record for a life-sized prop build… I just worked non-stop, besides bathroom breaks and a snack or two. :)

Thank you, all!

Here's an updated photo I took this morning… I still have to add small details like twigs and thin vines.

These are the Guardians of my Game Room… ;-)

GUARDIANSGAMEROOMGROOT1aaa_zps0cafb4e6.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back