Suicide Squad

Vivek

Master Member
Suicide Squad will be the first DC movie after Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Will be released on August 5, 2016.

The movie will be directed by David Ayer, who also directed the recent film Fury.

Last edited:
I would not have thought of Leto for the role, but I'd be interested to see what he'd do with the character. The man is extremely talented.

As someone who thought when Heath Ledger was announced as The Joker it was the worst idea in the history of cinema I'll definitely reserve judgement this time around. ;)

All I know is that if this is true Leto has some HUGE clown shoes to fill. :D

If it's true I just really, really hope they don't try and emulate Ledger's performance. As much as people love it, it'd be counterproductive to building a new universe and more than a little disrespectful.

i just dont like the fact that they will start comparing whoever will be the joker with ledger's performance. Sure he was good but not as mind blowing as many claim it to be. I for one was more impressed with Aaron's twoface and found it a shame that he was not mentioned that much compared to ledger's joker.

I would really like to see a different take on the Joker and I think Leto has the chops to do it after seeing Dallas Buyers Club.

I was really hoping that the "secret role" they cast Callan Mulvey for in BvS was the Joker. He has the right amount of crazy look to him and just looks the part.

I'm busy trying to figure out why the Joker would be in the Suicide Squad. Unless he's there for his chemical knowledge he brings nothing noteworthy to the table but crazy, and Waller (or whoever's running the show) would have to be insane to actually bring Joker in for any reason no matter how many fail safes they think they have in place. Also, isn't the point of the Suicide Squad to get convicts to do black ops for Argus or Checkmate or whomever in exchange for release from their prison sentences after so many missions? Joker's legally insane, it's why he's in Arkham. He has no prison sentence to reduce.

Unless he's not actually on the squad...

In addition to the "comparisons to Heath Ledger's performance" thing, again, I can't help but think that DC is shooting themselves in the foot by, in a sense, competing with (instead of contributing to) their TV properties. Arrow has already heavily featured the Suicide Squad and Amanda Waller at the helm of it, and it's actually pretty cool. If you then do a big-budget film version of the same concept, it'll end up being compared to the TV versions, with people coming down on one side or the other, saying which one was better. And that's good for neither product. Same goes with their Flash film, and already casting another guy in the role. From what I've seen so far, Grant Gustin is doing a terrific job of playing Barry Allen. Sticking some other dude in the role in a different continuity on film...I mean....why? Just so that WB can say that it has a multi-film comic book franchise, too?

I'm busy trying to figure out why the Joker would be in the Suicide Squad. Unless he's there for his chemical knowledge he brings nothing noteworthy to the table but crazy, and Waller (or whoever's running the show) would have to be insane to actually bring Joker in for any reason no matter how many fail safes they think they have in place. Also, isn't the point of the Suicide Squad to get convicts to do black ops for Argus or Checkmate or whomever in exchange for release from their prison sentences after so many missions? Joker's legally insane, it's why he's in Arkham. He has no prison sentence to reduce.

Unless he's not actually on the squad...
He was on the latest Assault on Arkham Suicide Squad animated from DC, as a prisonner in Arkham that escapes during the Squad's mission and started messing with them. Actually a live action Assault on Arkham would be sweet, it even has some Batman screen time even if he's not the main focus.

I'm good with that. And, let me say as we all already know, Heath Ledger's performance was unreal. Amazing. But....not the Joker, per se. I'm curious to see a true to the comics adaptation of the Joker.

Or something akin to Mark Hamill's performance as the Joker, for me, having never read many Batman comics, his was the quintessential Joker.

The thing with a "true to the comics" adaptation of the Joker is that it's really a broad field. Caesar Romero's Joker was true to the comics for a time when he was a harmless prankster, Jack Nicholson's was fairly true to the darker tone the Joker reacquired from the 70s on, and in a lot of ways Heath's is true to the original Kane/Finger/Robinson stories. Every single comic writer has a different spin on the Joker (hell, Brian Azzarello's Joker is a dead-ringer for Heath's purely by coincidence), to the point where it's been suggested in that every so often Joker changes his entire personality. True to the comics for Joker means being whatever the writer wants him to be for the story being told.

That said, I prefer Mark Hamill's Joker to all others.

I think that DC is WAY off track with their productions. It's their own damn fault they are 10 years behind Marvel. 'Do whatever' seems to be their current plan.

Agreed with DM, Hamill Joker is probably the best universal portrayal of the character.

'Do whatever' seems to be their current plan.

Well seeing how atm they have a plan (release dates etc) id say thats not true. may have been true in the past but atm dc seems to have woken up. Ofc this remains to also be seen on screen and def a bold yet nice move to make a suicide squad movie.

hamill's joker is great and is what i grew up with too but i must say i was impressed with troy baker.

It does seem weird to me that their first movie after B vs S is going to be suicide squad? You'd think they'd be more concerned with introducing flagship characters. It'd be like Marvel making Dr. Strange 10 years ago.

weird but i welcome it with open arms. better then playing it safe and immediatly go for another batman and/or superman stand alone (altho i cant wait for another of those either).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back