Suicide Squad

I've been reading that Tom Hardy has dropped out of the film. Most reports say he didn't care for the rewrites of the script.

Wes

Clown Prince of Crime, from behind

image.jpg

He has some enormous shoes to fill. I think he's got a very steep uphill climb to be able to measure up to Ledger.

Not really setting my expectations high on this one. Unless DC has woken up to the formula for success, I think this has a high flop probability.

If Ledger was still alive today I doubt half the people would rate his performance as highly.

I agree, he played a good lunatic but that was in no shape or form the joker. It wasn't his fault, it was just a badly written version of the character.

If Ledger was still alive today I doubt half the people would rate his performance as highly.

I would disagree. I don't watch him in that role and think his death somehow adds more depth to the character. I don't even see him in this character which is what made it so great.
People still think Nicholson made a great Joker, which I think is ridiculous. Jack Nicholson brought Jack Nicholson to the role. He didn't change himself to be the Joker. He changed the Joker to be him. I didn't see Ledger anywhere in his Joker. I only saw the Joker.

Whether Leto is capable of this remains to be seen. I don't think he has ever been seen as an A-list actor and isn't the type of actor that you watch and say "Oh, that's Leto as a junkie/tranny/club fighter/etc. He's not like Tom Cruise, where he's pretty much the same guy in every movie and is a household name (or was anyway).

Setting aside the various performances of the Joker in past and future incarnations, does it strike anyone else as self-defeating to have him be such a central focus of the PR campaign? I mean, the Joker isn't even on the Squad. He never has been. He shouldn't be in this, either. The Squad is a great concept -- a comic book Dirty Dozen -- but the Joker isn't really the "joining" type. He's too insane to be reasoned with. The guys on the Squad can sometimes be insane, other times cowardly, and almost always self-interested, but it's that self-interest that folks like Waller count on -- to give the Squad members a reason to go through with their activities. You can't count on that with the Joker. Actually, you can count on the fact that he's bat**** insane, and therefore probably won't be motivated by self-interest. Plus, unlike, say, Capt. Boomerang or Deadshot, Joker is a criminal mastermind and letting him go -- even for a minute, even on a mission -- just invites him to escape and then become a far greater menace to the public than either ever were.

Well he's not going to be in the squad per se, most likely he'll be in Arkham or running interference somehow, but since Harley is in the squad, it's hard to ignore her "puddin' '". Not to mention the Joker gets butts in the theatre, and I think WB is tentatively trying to introduce most of the major recurring vilains in SS while introducing the big heroes in BvS, instead go going the solo route like Marvel did. That's why they're cramming a lot of characters in each movie. It could work, and I hope it will, but time will tell.

does it strike anyone else as self-defeating to have him be such a central focus of the PR campaign?

I think in the case of the Suicide Squad, it makes perfect sense to bring in Leto to play the Joker and put him front and center. The fact that Leto is the front man for a popular band and an established actor, coupled with the fact that the average movie goer probably has no idea who the Squad is... the Joker is a well known villain having been in the 1966 series, 89 Batman, Dark Knight and he was a staple in the cartoons... this brings in people who otherwise might not go to this movie. It's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

I mean, the Joker isn't even on the Squad. He never has been. He shouldn't be in this, either. The Squad is a great concept -- a comic book Dirty Dozen -- but the Joker isn't really the "joining" type. He's too insane to be reasoned with.

I 100% agree with this. But as mentioned above, even as a comic book reader, I had to brush up on who exactly Rick Flagg was. Although I know who the characters are, they aren't mainstream, despite being showcased from time to time on Arrow. I honestly think that DC is trying to catch lightning in a bottle the way Marvel did with GOTG.

I don't know anything about SS (aside from what has been on Arrow) because I don't really read comics, so no skin off my back if he is, but who said the Joker was going to be a part of the Squad? Who's to say he's not the Squad's target?

I remember not liking the Ledger Joker when I saw the first image of his face upon first judgment, but I KNOW I remember being cool with the fact that his suit was still the nice purple. I really have never liked any other type of Joker clothing other than the classic purple, even though comics have used other outfits. And holy cow... Leto's hair is a bit too screaming bright of green there IMO.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back