Suicide Squad

I have a feeling that this might go south.

Will Smith seems like he's got too big of an ego to have equal importance with more than one other person.

Plus, we know that he'll probably wind up pimping out Willow Smith to play Deadshot's daughter. Or worse, put Jaden in drag.

Then I guess it's a good thing they didn't cast him as Deathstroke, or you'd end up with both of them in the film as his daughter and son.

Anyone else find it funny that DC is copying Marvel in the sense that they changed one-eyed white characters into one-eyed black characters? Gotta follow the winning the formula, I guess.

Either way, with Will Smith in the film, I have no faith in his character. His wife is the worst part of Gotham and I have no doubt he'll overact and ham it up, too. The only performances I care about are Leto's and Hardy's.

Will Smith is in this movie because it will somehow benefit his kids' careers, that seems like all he does these days is pimp his kids.

I never liked the Suicide Squad stories on the cartoons (JLU and more recent Assault on Arkham) or on CW's Arrow, so I'm going to be biased here, but this just smells like a big expensive flop in the making. I sort of understand WB/DC's strategy - trying to capitalize on DC's more fleshed out rouges gallery - but this should not be the next DCCU film after BvS. To me this feels like WB pulling a GotG but in the wrong order; think of this like Marvel releasing GotG after IM2 :facepalm Marvel Studios built up brand loyalty to anything and everything Marvel with 9 films before they released GotG. DC is trying to accomplish this after 2 DCCU films, neither of which have 'Justice League' in the title. What I think WB is going to painfully witness is that the majority of moviegoers are Batman and Superman fans, but not (yet) DC fans. Probably why they threw in Joker and all the big name actors to hedge their bet; unfortunately that also means they've just spent a crap ton of guaranteed money to celebs playing a bunch of no-name villains. I think a lot of DC fans are loving this, but from a business perspective, this is sounding like a big write-down for WB in 2016.

while it is indeed odd that the next one after BvS is suicide Sqaud, I cant help but applaud this. With the new person in charge it seems like they are showing quite a bit of dare + id rather we can see a joker in this then in a batman stand alone (altho i wouldnt mind that much). Rather we see another villain in a new batman.

as for casting. Jared leto is perfect casting for joker and harley = perfect casting aswell. Myself would have gone for a lil diff line up but overall casting was very good with will smith prob even being my less fav to look forward too. Great actor but not my choice..

I wonder if they're hoping it'll be similar gable payoff as Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think it's probably more along the line of the DC execs have a dart board in their board room and...

I wonder if they're hoping it'll be similar gable payoff as Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think it's probably more along the line of the DC execs have a dart board in their board room and...

No, I think they're counting on something like Guardians to happen for them. They're taking an obscure, ensemble team and kicking it out the door. I mean, hey, maybe it'll work. But to be honest...I kinda doubt it. The success of Guardians was due largely to the excellent writing, coupled with solid -- but not eye-catching -- casting. By that I mean they cast solid actors that people are aware of, but who aren't "box office draws" like Will Smith (although, these days, I suppose that's a stretch for him). This just seems like trying to co-opt what DC suspects is a "formula" for success, and the thing is, while formulaic films can work, my bet is that this one won't. DC films have just been...shaky to launch.

My girlfriend and I have been getting seriously into Arrow and the Flash, but she regularly scoffs at the names the characters have. Captain Cold? Roy G. Bivelow as Prism/Chroma/Spectrum/Whatever? This is the problem DC faces -- so much of their stable is associated with Silver Age tendencies (which are viewed as fairly cheesy and retro in a lame way nowadays) that it's difficult for audiences to get to the stories behind the goofy names, powers, and costumes.

Don't get me wrong. I really hope I'm wrong, because the concept of the Suicide Squad -- a kind of "Dirty Dozen" with supervillains -- is fantastic. But I just don't trust DC/WB on the execution.

Personally I think pushing this movie out so soon is a terrible idea. DC needs to get some consistency going. Jumping straight from BvS into to a movie about villans that have no setup or back story that a lot of people have never heard of is a terrible idea. Comic fan know who Harley is, but the average movie goer has no idea. They have no idea who Boomerang is or Deadshot. Guardians did well inspite of this stuff because people had faith in Marvel because Marvel has been putting out consistent, good movies for years.

Not to mention they are jumping in to Justice League way to quick also. Shoe-horning Aquaman and WW in to BvS and then giving WW her own movie set during WW1 (or was it two?) and then jumping right in to Justice League is just crazy. Marvel was successful because they built a solid base. DC is playing catch up and it shows. I do hope they pull it off though because I'd love to see an awesome JLA movie.

Yeah, I mean, I wish DC all the best of luck, but their strategy seems very fragmented and not particularly well coordinated. It's more like "We HAVE to have this kind of huge franchise span of movies!!"

What I don't get, though, is why they're rushrushrushing to do this, when for DECADES DC had no real film presence.

What I don't get, though, is why they're rushrushrushing to do this, when for DECADES DC had no real film presence.

I think they see how Marvel is swimming in cash like Scrooge McDuck. So naturally they are scrambling to push out material as fast as they can.

WB is operating with a sense of urgency - recent layoffs, no more Harry Potter, Hobbit ending after this year. I think that's a large part of the reason why they're not being patient with their DC films. But heck, I could've taken the exact same DCCU slate and shuffled it around to make a lot more sense than what they announced, so maybe the other part is just plain ol' unawareness of good franchise and brand strategy in the CBM genre.

the thing is, they are rushing it to get all of it in before the market is done with superhero movies. you gotta remember, while they are sucessfull now, people will eventually get burned out on super heros. or when was the last time you saw a lot of westerns?
at least thats how i see it.

the thing is, they are rushing it to get all of it in before the market is done with superhero movies. you gotta remember, while they are sucessfull now, people will eventually get burned out on super heros. or when was the last time you saw a lot of westerns?
at least thats how i see it.

Honestly, I question how likely that is. As a business model, comic book movies make way more sense than westerns. Also there's a LOT more centralization of the entertainment industry as a whole anymore, and a lot less room for "asteroids" to hit. By that, I mean entertainment material that comes out of nowhere and changes the landscape. Studios have every incentive to keep producing superhero movies. There's so much cross promotion and merchandising and whatnot that you can do. A single superhero movie can propel: TV shows, comic book sales, toy sales, music sales, etc. And even the crap ones still make most of their money back or even turn a slight profit (setting aside how Hollywood finagles its books, of course...).

Possible spoilers

Latino-Review have scored yet another major Suicide Squadscoop, this time revealing major new details on the plot of the David Ayer helmed movie. We'll start with the most interesting details, and those are about The Joker. He apparently will be seen early on as Harley Quinn attempts to break him out of Arkham, but is later moved to Belle Reve by Amanda Waller in order to keep Harley in check. The site adds that, "He spends most of the film in a cell, very much like Hannibal Lecter, until he breaks out of prison in the end." An additional source tells them that he will escape during a prison riot at the end of the movie, murdering several people in the process!

Lex Luthor meanwhile will indeed be the team's target - sort of - as it's up to the Suicide Squad to stop a human trafficking gang selling him bio weaponary. That weapon? The Enchantress! The team retreive her, and she will then be kept in an underground area of the prison "which has all sorts of genetic freaks imprisoned including a King Shark." Based on this, it sounds like it will be pretty easy for Lex not to make a physical appearance if Eisenberg decides not to reprise the role here.

Rick Flagg meanwhile is the movie's good guy and keeps a watchful eye over Amanda Waller throughout. He's described as being more of a government agent than superhero, while the team will indeed be implanted with explosives to take them out if they attempt escape (though many of them do end up free during the breakout mentioned above). That big twist? Flagg is revealed to be a villain in cahoots with Rick Flag Snr., and it's this shocking reveal which may have led to Hardy reconsidering his role in Suicide Squad. The duo are apparently keen on getting their hands on Waller's weapons, with the movie described as setting up various other franchises.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back