33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica

Thanks!

A few more test assembly shots... this time with both nacelle dome assemblies in place and deflector assembly (with most of the parts) attached. The first set is slightly higher resolution (but missing the deflector assembly)...

The next set is at my normal resolution...

1701_33in_047.jpg

One of the things I noticed is that the nacelles seem better balanced with the dome assembly elements in place.

The next big step will be bringing the secondary hull together (rather than have the pieces taped together as they are right now). What I'll need to do to start that is build an alignment box much like the one I built for the Phase II Enterprise...

p2_1701_080s.jpg

This well help me make sure that the nacelles align with the primary hull, which is done via the secondary hull. The nacelles only need to be partly assembled and the primary hull is mostly assembled for these parts to correctly align the dorsal and nacelle support pylons in the secondary hull as I bring it together.

Thanks guys!

I figured I'd start giving the model a chance to stand on it's own. These are some shots of the nacelles, support pylons and secondary hull, just slot fitted together...

1701_33in_049.jpg

Considering the fact that I left some play in the attachment points to adjust the alignment later on, these parts are holding their positions quite nicely. And there doesn't seem to be any issues holding the weight, so that is one less thing to worry about.

I did a bit more work on the secondary hull, mainly making sure that the two sides aligned correctly and then that they were together securely enough to support the model's weight (because everything branches out from this one part). I also finally got around to making a new mold for the rear nacelle end caps and made the new parts.

1701_33in_050.jpg

Most of my efforts have been in making sure that everything fits together correctly and looks like it should. The next major effort will be bringing the nacelle body halves together.

Worked a bit more on casting the intercoolers and the lower sensor dome platform, and still working on the overall arrangement of the parts (before I lock myself into that arrangement with the alignment box)...

1701_33in_051.jpg

I did a bit more work on the secondary hull...

1701_33in_052.jpg

Sometimes I forget just how far away from being finished I am while taking these shots. :(

When I think about everything that is needed to finish it can get a bit overwhelming. I just keep reminding myself that this will be the first time since 1978 that this version of the Enterprise has existed and the first time a studio scale replica of the original Enterprise has ever been made.

Hopefully I won't screw it up.

As I heard after every single date in my life, don't stop! Don't stop! Okay, not every single date... Okay, not many... Okay, I never heard that... Okay, there was a restraining order... Or two. :p

Thanks a ton guys!

Yes, I'm still plugging away at this model... just nothing that is all that visually interesting.

The biggest accomplishment was building the alignment box, which turned out great. And that let me start in on the internal structure of the secondary hull (mostly the anchoring of the dorsal). I also opened up a hole in the top of the primary hull to apply the locking nut for the dorsal.

So here is the alignment box (next to the Columbia using the Phase II Enterprise's alignment box)...

And here is the first real test of the model supporting itself...

1701_33in_054.jpg

I didn't include any of the detail parts and didn't worry about adding in the spacers for aligning the nacelles, I just wanted to see if the model could hold itself up on it's own (it is just sitting on the secondary hull in that shot). What I found is that without the extra bits on the nacelles (which are themselves hollow), the model is a bit nose heavy. But the secondary hull and dorsal easily supported the weight of the primary hull!

I realized that I forgot to post a few comparison shots I had put together...

There is still a long ways to go, I mainly do comparisons like these to make sure I'm still making good progress towards an accurate replica.

For kicks I dusted off the parts to my 33 inch Enterprise and put them together to compare them to my build of the Round 2 18 inch Enterprise (built as the Republic) to show the size difference...

1701_33in_055.jpg

... I'm currently working on two models of the Galileo, but when I complete them I'll jump back into working on finishing this model.

Still want a set of parts!

My one nit pick is the bridge & B & C Decks still don't look quite flattened out enough to me. The lower saucer looks great as does the rest!

Even though this is the final model, it is still serving the same function that the two earlier study models (at two-thirds studio scale) had... that of a research tool into the history of the Enterprise models. And yeah, all the models used in TOS that played the Enterprise on screen (the 11 foot model, 33 inch model, 18 inch AMT model and the two 3 inch models). It has been interesting to not only note some of there differences, but also to try to figure out where those differences might have originated.

One of the things that I took away from my study of Jefferies original plans (both the October and November 1964 versions) was that they seemed to be a better representation of the 11 foot model than the 33 inch model. Here is a quick-n-dirty comparison (using some of my unfinished drawings) of the 1964 plans, 11 foot model, 33 inch model and 18 inch AMT model (which was designed by Jefferies)...

1701_versions-shaw.jpg

... and here is the latest version of my plans for the 3 inch models...

And even though I already posted this in another thread, here is the latest collection of notes of those 1964 plans...

One of the first things I noticed was that the contours of the secondary hulls of both the 33 inch and 11 foot models were based more on the October plans...

This was understandable for the 33 inch model as it was started before the November plans had been completed. It was interesting that it was also used on the 11 foot model.

While studying the curves of the November plans for the primary hull I noticed that the forward upper contour was more like that of the 33 inch model, while the rear contour was more like that of the 11 foot model (and the contours shown in the October plans)...

I'm still trying to find out what might have led to the contour of the underside of the primary hull of the 33 inch model.

And as the subject of the thread is the 33 inch model, here are a few more shots (with comparison images of the original model)...

Fascinating work, as always, Shaw! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I've always been interested in the extra curvy secondary hull from the November 7, 1964 drawing. The Franz Joseph versions of the ship always seemed to take a cue from that, even though the actual models always went with a straighter profile.

I wonder why it was they never decided to pursue the curvier look.

--Alex

I wonder why it was they never decided to pursue the curvier look.
Well, for the 33 inch model, I think Datin started on turning the secondary hull before he got the November plans. For the 11 foot model, it might have been that the October contours were just easier considering how it was made. By the time the 11 foot model was started, it was already way behind schedule.

But for Jefferies (where the Enterprise was more a mental construct) he continued to push a more curvaceous secondary hull with each successive drawing of the Enterprise. The curves are more pronounced on his 1966 writers' guide diagrams than on the November 1964 plans, and his Phase II Enterprise diagrams and plans from 1977 are even more curvy.

So I was working on one of my other projects (priming and sculpting masters, and hopefully soon making molds) and figured I'd throw in a hand full of smaller parts from the Enterprise that hadn't been primered yet. I know spraying parts with primer isn't exactly progress and I'm not trying to tease that anything has actually happened with this model (yes, I know it's been almost 9 months since the last significant progress on it was made), but having most of the model the same color helps to show how far along it is. I'm really hoping that once this model moves back to being the prime project again it'll move rather quickly towards completion.

Anyways, a couple quick shots...

... everything is essentially taped in place, nothing is glued together yet (I'm no where near the point where I want to permanently attach any parts).

Well, for the 33 inch model, I think Datin started on turning the secondary hull before he got the November plans. For the 11 foot model, it might have been that the October contours were just easier considering how it was made. By the time the 11 foot model was started, it was already way behind schedule.

But for Jefferies (where the Enterprise was more a mental construct) he continued to push a more curvaceous secondary hull with each successive drawing of the Enterprise. The curves are more pronounced on his 1966 writers' guide diagrams than on the November 1964 plans, and his Phase II Enterprise diagrams and plans from 1977 are even more curvy.

So I was working on one of my other projects (priming and sculpting masters, and hopefully soon making molds) and figured I'd throw in a hand full of smaller parts from the Enterprise that hadn't been primered yet. I know spraying parts with primer isn't exactly progress and I'm not trying to tease that anything has actually happened with this model (yes, I know it's been almost 9 months since the last significant progress on it was made), but having most of the model the same color helps to show how far along it is. I'm really hoping that once this model moves back to being the prime project again it'll move rather quickly towards completion.

Anyways, a couple quick shots...

... everything is essentially taped in place, nothing is glued together yet (I'm no where near the point where I want to permanently attach any parts).

Excellent work!
Keep it up.

:)Paul

Handful of shots... mostly small progress (hitting elements with primer) and making sure the model can support it's own weight.

These shots are mainly a test of the mounting system (these are vintage 1960's parts) to make sure that they can hold the weight...

This also means that the secondary hull is now totally solid. It has been a year of slowly packing it in starting around the nacelle support attachment points and working forward.

Like on my Phase II Enterprise, I designed the nacelle support pylons with rough attachment areas on either end. The idea is that this gives me room to make adjustments in alignment as I bring the model together during final assembly. That is the reason the nacelles aren't perfectly aligned in any of these shots, there is still a lot of room for adjustments at this stage.

As soon as I'm reasonably sure about the state of the dorsal's connection point to the primary hull (this is held together by a single nut during these test assemblies), I'll use the alignment box to put all the parts into their correct positions and do the final joining of the nacelle supports to the secondary hull.

If this all seems painfully slow, it's because I've been dealing with issues IRL that have kept me away from model building the last few months. At most I get a little time on the weekends for models, and I have two shuttlecraft builds that usually get most of that.

Thanks a ton guys!

And, here's hoping your RL concerns don't get out of hand for you.

Best of luck!
You know the old saying... if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. Well, it sure doesn't feel that way most days. :(

Thanks though!

Few more shots for you guys...

I had been asked what was left to do, so here is an overview... specially because it looks close to being finished (heck, I look at it assembled and think that I can't be that far from being done).

First, it is just set together (dry fit) or taped (on the side away from the camera). I do this mainly to make sure that everything is working together correctly.

The primary hull is pretty far along. I need to make the upper and lower sensor domes, and then I'll have most of the parts I need. I recently added a second hole for an additional screw to hold the primary hull to the dorsal. I wanted to make sure that there was more stability (structurally) before the eventual gluing of those pieces together.

The top of the dorsal needs a bit more gap filling to make it an even better fit to the contour of the primary hull. It is close, but could use a little more work.

The deflector/sensor assembly on the front of the secondary hull, those are all parts for the masters. They are there to make sure that they are matching the design correctly before I invest a ton of time making molds to cast the final parts. The dish is a test casting from the mold I made off the dish master, the spike is a stand-in as I haven't started on that part yet.

The rear of the secondary hull (around the hangar bay) needs adjusting.

I recently used Aves Apoxie Sculpt to get the top and bottom parts of the nacelle support pylons to match the contours of the secondary hull and nacelles. Like the dorsal pylon, this is meant to get a good fit, but things aren't glued together yet.

I wasn't happy with the forward nacelle cap assembly, so I started over from scratch and sculpted a new master. I made a mold of it and the parts you see in the last set of images are test pulls from that mold so I can see if I fixed the problem I was having with the original parts.

The detailing on the inboard channels of the nacelles has been a pain. These are very unique (to this model) and I've spent more time trying to replicate the original parts than nearly any other part of this model. I think I'm getting close to having the parts I need, so that (more than anything else) should push the build forward significantly.

On the decal side, I have the lettering drawn up (I've had them for more than three years now), but I keep cross checking what I've drawn against newer references of the original decals. While better references have confirmed that my original drawings were very accurate, I've been waiting to actually assemble the graphics for the decals until I get much closer to being ready to apply them to the model. Plus it isn't just making sure that all the lettering matches the original decal sheet, I need to make sure I know exactly where everything goes on the model's surface if I want to replicate the original studio model.

And lastly, there are all the flaws of the original studio model that need to be cataloged and replicated on this model. That has been a fun job because given the level of noise on the reference photos, I need to (in many cases) confirm a flaw's existence in two or more images. Even now, if you look closely you'll see holes in the primary hull that were drilled into the original model for hanging it that aren't part of the actual Enterprise design.

So yeah, it looks a lot closer to being done than it really is. And because it is lower priority than the two shuttlecraft models I'm working on, I haven't dedicated that much time towards it (of the time I can dedicate towards building models right now).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back