33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica

Work continues...

The bridge and B/C deck structure are now a single piece (the dome in the images below is a stand in for sizing purposes). I've continued work on the rear nacelle end cap assembly and made quite a bit of progress on the front nacelle end cap assembly (now that I have nacelle domes). I've also started in on the lower sensor dome platform, intercooler and deflector masters.

1701_33in_014.jpg

I've continued to work on the surface of the upper and lower primary hull masters, the secondary hull master and the nacelle masters, and I'm feel pretty good about their progress. I figure I'm not too far off from making molds from those.

Thanks!

Here is a test assembly of the rear nacelle parts to see how everything is coming together...

1701_33in_015.jpg

Still a work in progress, but at least it sorta looks like what it is supposed to be.

Here is a series of images of the upper primary hull with the bridge/B/C deck structure sitting in place to see how things are going with these parts...

1701_33in_016.jpg

And another series of the lower primary hull with the sensor dome platform (and a stand in dome) in place...

1701_33in_017.jpg

For both the upper and lower domes I'll be casting them in clear with a small amount of transparent green. I don't have transparent green dye right now, so I'll have to wait to actually make the final parts.

I think I'm almost ready for making molds of all these masters. There is just a handful of little things to fix/finish and they should be ready to go. Some aspects of the model just can't be done with the masters, so I need the final parts to go forward.

So let me het this straight. You are " puttying, sanding, primering" over what is essentially plaster? How does it stick?

Once I get the surface to about where I want it, I brush on watered down Elmer's glue as a glaze coat. Once that dries it is ready to take primer and putty (I use Rust-oleum automobile primer and 3M's glazing & spot putty). When I'm ready to make a mold, I'll cover the surface with Krylon crystal clear.

But yeah, it works great. Masters I made over a year ago are all still in great shape and I've never had any bits of the surface pull away when masking. And the silicon rubber molds pull away perfectly too with no damage to the masters.

Incredible work, and I absolutely LOVE your techniques!! You make it look so easy, a sign of great skills. :) I've subscribed to both this and your Galileo threads, so keep it coming!!!!

Thanks a ton guys!

Some progress...

Made a mold of the lower primary hull and cast the first part from it (though I'm not sure if this is a final part or just a test)...

1701_33in_018.jpg

At least I know the mold produced a nice part and is still in great shape.

Thanks guys!

I finally have molds for both the upper and lower primary hull.

1701_33in_019.jpg

Hopefully I'll have parts by the end of this weekend. The nice thing is that I really don't need to get inside for anything, so I can close the primary hull up pretty quickly. The big issue with this would be getting a nice, sharp upper lip edge.

We'll see how things go.

I now have primary hull parts!

1701_33in_020.jpg

And the best part of this is that these two halves weigh about the same as the first lower primary hull pull I did.

Thanks!

I cleaned up the edges (this is the primary hull top with the first lower half so I could experiment with cutting) to see how things fit together...

1701_33in_021.jpg

Still a bit thicker than it should be, but at least it is really starting to feel the part.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back