Calgary Comic Expo April 2015

Goonie

Sr Member
1st guest was announced, on Facebook and via Twitter today, but apparently they made the announcement at the Edmonton Comic Expo as well. Agents of SHIELD's Agent May, Ming-Na Wen, is coming to Calgary.
http://www.calgaryexpo.com/

Tickets go on sale Nov 1.

I'm probably not going to be able to go this time due to being unemployed since May. :( But I also have plans to go to Astoria in June for the 30th anniversary of the Goonies. 3 days of Goonies fun in the town where they filmed it. :D

PS: Shameless plug. Any Calgarians know anybody that's hiring? My background is BBA, Dip Mktg, EET.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Ming-Na will be here on Saturday only.

2nd guest announced, Arrow; Stephen Amell.

Just realized it's the 10th anniversary of the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo, should be a good one.

Is it just me, or the guest list doesn't seem all that great this year for the 10th anniversary? Looks like it's going to be a 90210 reunion.

Is it just me, or the guest list doesn't seem all that great this year for the 10th anniversary? Looks like it's going to be a 90210 reunion.

It seems that way. They announce new guests every Tuesday and Thursday, but I think Stan Lee will be the biggest name there this year. I wish they didn't stagger the guest announcements...I wish they just threw it all out there at once.

For the 10th, I wonder if they are cooking something big like the ST:TNG and Aliens reunions. I'm still job hunting so I'm probably not going to go this year.

For the last couple of years they have held off the big names because so many had to withdraw for appearing. Robin Lord Taylor (Penguin from Gotham) and artist Dave Dorman have already backed out. Maybe they hold back so they can announce big names to drive ticket sales. Going to go no matter who shows up.

It's all about the contracting. They probably can't get bigger names until closer to the event because of scheduling. And as 19narvik40 said, the big names have a nasty habit of backing out last minute anyway. Certain guests are definitely a bonus (sometimes the artists in Artist Alley have special prints that they wouldn't have normally done otherwise), but I've never gone solely for the guests. Waiting in line that long and paying that much for it is not fun. I'm going to try to make it the entire weekend this time, but we'll see how that goes.

I will be there all weekend never go for the guests anyways but I believe they are holding off big guests until the end this year. Stoked Stan Lee is back wanted to meet him the last two times but didnt have the money the guy crafted my childhood personally. Tom Kenny is also pretty sweet.

It does seem like they are holding back this year, more so than usual, if that's the case. As an older fan, I'm looking forward to Alan Oppenheimer for his work in Star Trek and Six Million Dollar Man, plus Bob Layton and Gwendolyn Christie too. Got to see Stan Lee in 2013, so that was nice. Wish they'd get anyone from Space: 1999 or either the Logan's Run movie or TV series.

Bought my ticket today! I'm excited to go, regardless of the guests that show up. Anyone who's been there before, can you give me a general rundown of the con? Anything specific I should bring? What's the food/water situation like? Or the parking?

Bought my ticket today! I'm excited to go, regardless of the guests that show up. Anyone who's been there before, can you give me a general rundown of the con? Anything specific I should bring? What's the food/water situation like? Or the parking?

I've gone the past couple of years and it's really well run. Tons of concessions trucks outside the venues, and lot's of places to eat inside as well, serving a variety of food from normal fare to vegan options. Tons of parking everywhere with really good staff to help you to where you need to go. Plenty of stuff for kids to do as well (video games, bouncy castle stuff etc) when parents need to sit and take a break. It's really an excellent experience. Doesn't hurt to bring a bottle of water and comfy shoes to stand in lines with though :) You'll have fun, the wife and I love it!

I've gone the past couple of years and it's really well run. Tons of concessions trucks outside the venues, and lot's of places to eat inside as well, serving a variety of food from normal fare to vegan options. Tons of parking everywhere with really good staff to help you to where you need to go. Plenty of stuff for kids to do as well (video games, bouncy castle stuff etc) when parents need to sit and take a break. It's really an excellent experience. Doesn't hurt to bring a bottle of water and comfy shoes to stand in lines with though :) You'll have fun, the wife and I love it!

Awesome! Can't wait to make it this year. Thanks for the details.

Mid February and the guest list still isn't great. The best on the list is still Stan Lee. Since it's the 10th anniversary, thought they'd have a big list by now.

I'm thinking about maybe signing up as a volunteer this year. Can't really afford tickets, so why not get in this way, and something to put on my resume.

I've already got my tickets but volunteering isn't a bad way to go Goonie! Hope that works for you. I will admit though, that I share your sentiments on the lineup thus far and this morning's announcements didn't really add to the enthusiasm much, but still 7 weeks of announcements to go, so you know they'll save the best til last. Ticket sales seem to be chugging along though at 90% sold for Saturday and Weekends.

Bruce Timm announced as a guest today at Calgary Expo. He'll be a big draw at the show I suspect. His work with DC Comics characters has been phenomenal! Stoked about this announcement. :)

I've already got my tickets but volunteering isn't a bad way to go Goonie! Hope that works for you.

Signed-up a few days ago. Signed up for the social media team. That way I can move around the floor and check stuff out. Also, will allow me to add stuff to my resume as I'm making a career switch. Not a bad gig. You have to work a minimum of 2 days, and then you are encouraged to come for the other two. Since I'm unemployed right now, I think I'll be there for all 4. I could've also been a guest supporter. Would've been an honor to assist Stan Lee at his signing table.:D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back