Making my first cosplay helmet

themadmike

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building a cosplay for destiny and the Helmet is proving to be the hardest part. Should I make a model of what I want to create first from foam or another material? Also, how should I go about measuring my head for the helmet?

I'm not familiar with Destiny, can you post reference images? A google search for Destiny Video Game Helmet returned a wide variety of possible helmets you might be trying to emulate.

When you say a model what do you mean? A small scale version of the final piece? A rough draft/practice piece? I would say plan precisely, mock up in paper, revise the plan, build carefully once at full scale in foam, and then finish.

There are many, many ways to go about constructing a costume helmet. Two of the most common are EVA foam and Pepakura papercraft reinforced with fiberglass resin and smoothed with polyester resin body filler (Bondo and similar products), both methods of construction are then sealed and painted and whethered and otherwise finished. Of these I would say EVA foam construction is the more beginner friendly option as it requires fewer tools and uses less toxic ingredients. An inexpensive e-book explaining the process of foam helmet crafting would be Foamsmithing Vol 1 by Bill Duran. There is also an informative youtube tutorial series on foam helmet construction by user Evil Ted Smith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODSNPYdvJRo, he recommends coating with plasti-dip or balloon latex both of which are very functional, but a lower cost/more accessible beginner option might be PVA glue (aka Elmer's, white glue, school glue, etc) thin it with a bit of water and brush on a few coats.

Last edited:
Warlock armor .pngi want the helmet to look similar to the one in this photo

Foam crafting may be your best bet. That looks like a heavy layered costume and you'll want something that you will want to be relatively light. I'd recommend a cooling vest as well.

Did you ever get the costume finished? How did it end up? Did you get the cooling vest? I've played since the beta but just now doing my first ever cosplay. Bindcaster helmet and either New Monarchy or Voidfang vestments. I'd be interested to know what you learned.

Congrats on starting your first suit. For high durability, fiberglass is usually best, but does require a good deal of work. As mentioned, foam is also an option. Both of my halo suits are foam, with a fiberglass helmet, solely due to durability, and that the helmet walls are thinner when using composites, whereas, EVA tends to be rather large. I would look on the 405th.com. under the file archive option, they have a large collection of pepakura models. simply download pepakura designer, the model you choose, and print. paint it thinly with fiberglass resin, and then on the inside reinforce with fiberglass matting. I find stippling this on in a manner similar paper mache'. I have also found that using mogepoge to reinforce helmets can work, albeit far less durable. the advantage of this iss that there are no toxic fumes to deal with, so it may be more accessible for you. Alternatively, instead of pepakura, you could free-sculpt a helmet over a hat form head, out of clay. once this is finished, coat it in roughly 8 tubes of silicone caulk, and make a paper mache' coating over this. once cut open, you can reproduce the helmet by pouring in, and slush casting a resin, bondo mixture. both methoods should then be filled and sanded with body filler, generally bondo. This is how I produced the helmet in my picture on the left. regardless of which method you choose, I would recommend something like the Skull of Dire Ahamkara, as it's organic shape is easy for a first time bondo-er.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back