The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BUILD!

Re: The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BU

Valspar Metallic Graphite may be a color you'd like to check out. The color kinda looks like that of the pictured suirtguns you had posted. Iv'e used it on a few props because it has the look of a high tech material.

Re: The BAZINKATRON BFG1966 Retro Flash Gordon 1960's Blaster Laser Ray Pistol Gun BU

I think It's looking great. I also like the lanyard ring In you rendering's. will you be adding that as well?

I think It's looking great. I also like the lanyard ring In you rendering's. will you be adding that as well?

I have a whole set of greeblies sitting in a box - but because I cast the components - I am not limited to only one version of the kit. The sleek detail on this one is so appealing in my hand - I may leave it alone. I can build a second variation simply by pouring the components and adding the details and greeblies. The work was making the molds. It is not a one time scratch build. The Lanyard rings will likely be installed on this one. I am debating on the top detail - It just turned out so well. More pics and variations to come. - Gun sights, lanyards, control nodes, charging plugs, Magazine extenders, the four black fins vary in size and color. The construction is modular. The combinations are endless. MORE PICS COMING !!!

For those taking the time to respond and add to the discussion thank you !

I also have a Steampunk / Dr Grodbort type version as well. So many projects - I will be playing with this modular kit for a year getting it right. RPF 1.jpg

Last edited:

More Pics - I am about to go at more filler and fine sanding - so I wanted to snap a few more shots before it gets putted up.

Pic 2.jpgPic 3.jpgPic 1.jpgPic 5.jpgPic4.jpg

More pics - different angles - ideas - deciding when to just stop adding plastic - and finishing it off.

I am already prepping the next set of parts for another versions - so many ideas - but i have to restrain the impulse to do more than one version at a time. Pic a1.jpgPic b1.jpgPic c1.jpg

Feedback? All comments are appreciated. Artwork - design modification - and ideas for this line of design are welcome. Thanks.

My only suggestion would be paint scheme. I would bring up the same color from the back up to the barrel. and have the fins a totally separate color. like brass to look more like a heat sink than missile fins.

My only suggestion would be paint scheme. I would bring up the same color from the back up to the barrel. and have the fins a totally separate color. like brass to look more like a heat sink than missile fins.

Thanks Sean ! I grabbed Photoshop and did a quick color test - I like the way it breaks up the lines and looses the "missile" fin look and separates the barrel. Good Call !

Here is the Photoshopped Color TEST: What do you think?
RPF 2 Gold Fins TEST 2c.jpg
RPF 2 Gold Fins Final 3.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks Sean ! I grabbed Photoshop and did a quick color test - I like the way it breaks up the lines and looses the "missile" fin look and separates the barrel. Good Call !

Here is the Photoshopped Color TEST: What do you think?

View attachment 391448

I like It. what would you think about making those rings In the front of the fins on the barrel silver also? I would like to see a test of that if possible.

I like It. what would you think about making those rings In the front of the fins on the barrel silver also? I would like to see a test of that if possible.

OK - Test paint job - Rings - and Fins !!! : ) thanks Sean.
RPF 2 Gold Fins TEST RINGS Done 1.jpg YES - The pic is in Different colors - the Thumbnail does not do it justice.

Gordon

It's your time my friend. thank you. what do you think?

I love it. I will using the multi-color paint you suggested in the final project. Thanks DUDE !!!!

Gordon

This first paragraph got me hooked on this thread! Loving the way that your vision is coming to fruition after all these years. :thumbsup :)

It is the journey of a Kid who fell in love with Science Fiction in the 1960's and started building "props" when he was five. I saw a picture of a pistol on the cover of a 1960's Comic book "FLASH GORDON" and spent the next 45yrs working on craft and skill to recreate a version of the pistol I saw as a child. Today there are many sophisticated ways to create props and scratch builds with incredible shapes and plastics that are limited only by the imagination. This prop was one for my "Bucket List" - and only represents one VERSION of a multiple variation series of 1960's inspired Retro Ray guns. I have photos of the first version that is almost complete. I cast the individual parts in resin and created a method to modular create variations from the base design that can end in ten to twelve totally individual unique variations of my favorite base design. Most people these days are focused on current film or franchise builds in exact replicas. I choose to depart that path and follow a unique - high quality - interesting designs - based on RETRO 1960's - 70's - 80's - for a collection of PULP science fiction blasters that fit that Era. I hope some people will find it interesting.

I love it. I will using the multi-color paint you suggested in the final project. Thanks DUDE !!!!

Gordon

No thanks needed bro. just making suggestion's that's all. I would let your Imagination play around with the color scheme until you think It looks just right.

No thanks needed bro. just making suggestion's that's all. I would let your Imagination play around with the color scheme until you think It looks just right.

WORK in Progress . . . .

RPF 3333.jpg

I like the Brass/Cooper color - thanks Sean !! Gordon

Last edited:

I just found this thread and am thrilled. Like you Harada357, I much prefer retro. I haven't been impressed with much of the science fiction hardward offerings for the past few years.

I love what you've done with the base gun and converting it towards something in the style of that Flash Gordon comic.

You should drop Steve Neill a note. He's back on the boards I believe. And he's currently working on a retro '60's "Mars Attack" film based on the original cards. He's also a wealth of information and enthusiasm for anything science fiction. He built a beautiful model of the original Doug Drexler designed ship for "Space Command" before Mark took the show in a different direction.

My suggestion for the paint scheme would be trying to the metallic gray mentioned earlier in combination with the brass / copper color. I really like the metallic blue / black combo. Or maybe add some silver. To me, the metallic blue doesn't go with the brass / copper. But that's just my opinion. It's your build and as you mentioned, you can have multiple variations.

This is a really inspiring build. Old-school ideas and old-school techniques.

By the way, the Rhino images you did are also brilliant. It reminded me of one or two of Ralph McQuarrie's sketches for Han Solo's gun as seen in "The Art of Star Wars". Although your design is brilliant. I'd love to see more work done on those as well.

Ted.

I just found this thread and am thrilled. Like you Harada357, I much prefer retro. I haven't been impressed with much of the science fiction hardward offerings for the past few years.

I love what you've done with the base gun and converting it towards something in the style of that Flash Gordon comic.

You should drop Steve Neill a note. He's back on the boards I believe. And he's currently working on a retro '60's "Mars Attack" film based on the original cards. He's also a wealth of information and enthusiasm for anything science fiction. He built a beautiful model of the original Doug Drexler designed ship for "Space Command" before Mark took the show in a different direction.

My suggestion for the paint scheme would be trying to the metallic gray mentioned earlier in combination with the brass / copper color. I really like the metallic blue / black combo. Or maybe add some silver. To me, the metallic blue doesn't go with the brass / copper. But that's just my opinion. It's your build and as you mentioned, you can have multiple variations.

This is a really inspiring build. Old-school ideas and old-school techniques.

By the way, the Rhino images you did are also brilliant. It reminded me of one or two of Ralph McQuarrie's sketches for Han Solo's gun as seen in "The Art of Star Wars". Although your design is brilliant. I'd love to see more work done on those as well.

Ted.

Thanks for all the input and taking time to respond. The feedback keeps the fuel going. The Light Blue metallic is a personal favorite color - After testing the actual copper color - I am adding a little more for this model - pics soon. I think i will finish out the barrel in a chrome copper mix. This is just the first version. I am in a rush to pour and test some other variations. Although the components are the same - reconfiguring them gives the whole it a different look. The next incarnation will be closer to the RHINO model. I have to go buy some more primer and Chrome paint. I still have to cut out and refine the top of this pistol. This was in whole - a complete experiment. I molded shapes and pieces I liked and put them together almost randomly in different combinations before settling on this design. Then I wanted to keep the scale to a certain size, weight, and feel. The hand grip for this pistol was ergonomically perfect. Although the pistol look front heavy - it is not. The fins are razor thin in overall weight and just fill the forward part of the gun. The weight is off set and centered on the pistol grip by the conical shape of the upper receiver. When I add the top details pieces - it should be slightly weighted to the rear - exactly over the pistol grip as the center of gravity. I hate when a "weapon" design" is front heavy or back heavy. The only way to balance that problem is the addition of a fore grip or addition of a shoulder stock. I wanted this prop to look "sleek" and feel solid and well balanced in your hand. GLOCK makes the worlds most balanced handgun if you asked me. That is what also makes it almost the perfect handgun for shooting.

OFF TOPIC - DESIGN tidbit - If NASA was going to spend 10 Million Dollars to design a handgun for the astronauts or a RETRO Space Gun - it better look like a pistol and handle like a dream. When i design a prop - original or non-cannon design - I like to think about engineering and operability. A convincing prop has to look functional in some way. The ALIENS Pulse Rifle looked HEAVY - but it also looked like it REALLY worked. Space guns or RAY guns - should look like they might work - unless there is a reason to just BLING it up. The Russians are the only ones who "carry" in space - and there scientists designed one of the worst "single shot space shotgun hatchet shovels" you could think off. They would have been better off sending up a Glock - right off the shelf. But the Russians had to have a special "Space Tool" gun. They got it. I guess we can't bash them too badly - THEY still have a "Space Program" and NASA has to hitch rides to the Space Station. Who knew? - Here are a couple of Pics - the Russian TP-82. ( I wondered if the Russian Engineer that designed it thought "TP-82" was for "Toilet Paper - 82" because even as a survival gun it would be bulky to carry, single shot loading, short barrel, and iron sights - Heavy and not very accurate at any distance - not the best survival chances for a gun in the space program. Maybe the Russians should have asked for help from their Army. They would have just handed the Cosmonauts an AK-47 with a folding stock. AK-47 vs TP-82 ? Who would WIN that fight? : )
jq0va1.jpggun.jpg20.jpg

Last edited:

Looking great so far!
I would love to know what you used for the barrel and pistol grip to make this piece.

BUILD UPDATE - SEE PICS !!!! PLEASE tell me what you think!!!

Thanks - Gordon

Pic 3 Version 1.jpg Pic 1 Final assembly.jpgPic 2 Version 1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Here is a variation of the color scheme via Photoshop - take away the colors and you get a very busy prop with no definition - but it has its merits.

Experiment # 17
Pic 3 Version 1 Black and white.jpg Inverted: Pic 3 Version 1 Art Deco Inverted.jpg

What do you think? Thanks.

Color and DESIGN - Breakaway . . .

Pic 5 Color and Design.jpg

What do you think ?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back