'Miku'

KrangPrime

Master Member
I just witnessed the dumbest thing ever on letterman.

He had on a digital performer from Japan. It's labeled as a hologram, but really it's just a 2D projection animated onto a screen.

The song was in japanese. You couldn't even hear the thing and enjoy the song even if you understood japanese.
And the reactions Dave gave to this project was priceless. He was introducing it as if it was a real guest and you could tell he and the audience just didn't get it.

I LIKE Anime. I go out of my way to watch Subbed Anime to experience it in it's original Japanese. I love Japanese culture and cartoons from all over the world.

I do NOT get the amount of love and crazed reaction this thing is getting online. And some of the comments from people who do like it kind of scare me. most treat it like it IS a real person and one even posted 'tell miku I love her!'. It's funny getting attacked on FB because you see the crazed reaction and just don't get the 'magic'.

Does anyone actually understand what all the hoopla is about? Maybe I am missing something....I guess it's no different than a real star lip synching a song, but I couldn't see spending real money to watch an animation sing...

It has been a thing for quite some time...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idoru

I agree there's no need to attack anyone for having different opinions though.

huh.

It's actually rather hillarious seeing some of these posts directed at me simply for not liking this vocoloid. So far I've been called a racist, and attacked for being '9 years old and not having an evolved sense of entertainment in accepting things from around the world'. that same poster also accused me of 'being stuck in the 1980s and living in my mothers basement'. Funny, I was about to say the same back to some of these people who like this thing ;o)

So far I've been called a racist, and attacked for being '9 years old and not having an evolved sense of entertainment in accepting things from around the world'. that same poster also accused me of 'being stuck in the 1980s and living in my mothers basement'.

Breaking news, stupid people exist.

I bought my daughter the voice bank. I never really got it, till we went to Toronto fanexpo. My daughter was dressed as Miku of course, i was approached by 2 japanese girls that wanted me to take their picture with her. Next thing blew me away, my daughter was talking to them in japanese for an hour. I don't aways get things, but what i do get is, that anything that can expand your mind is a positive...GM

They still produce Michael Jackson concerts. Except he's an hologram now... And people are still paying a lot of money to go see him. I guess it's not much different. Will become a new trend, who knows...

huh.

It's actually rather hillarious seeing some of these posts directed at me simply for not liking this vocoloid. So far I've been called a racist, and attacked for being '9 years old and not having an evolved sense of entertainment in accepting things from around the world'. that same poster also accused me of 'being stuck in the 1980s and living in my mothers basement'. Funny, I was about to say the same back to some of these people who like this thing ;o)

I was simply trying to inform you. You make it sound like I´m one of the "people" that attack you.

I was simply trying to inform you. You make it sound like I´m one of the "people" that attack you.

wow, it's amazing how many people mis understand my posts.

I know..I had just received another great response to my post on the other site and was informing. thanks for the info!

If you want to look at it from a positive standpoint. It is producers getting to make auto-tune 'hits' without being tied to puffed up celebs that the media will be stuck on as they go through rehab and turn their lives into train wrecks.

Breaking news, stupid people exist.

true, i'm just amazed at the amount of craziness to go with the stupidity....

- - - Updated - - -

I bought my daughter the voice bank. I never really got it, till we went to Toronto fanexpo. My daughter was dressed as Miku of course, i was approached by 2 japanese girls that wanted me to take their picture with her. Next thing blew me away, my daughter was talking to them in japanese for an hour. I don't aways get things, but what i do get is, that anything that can expand your mind is a positive...GM

that is pretty neat ;o). I've SLOWLY begun to learn a few words and phrases in Japanese thanks to anime. So much so that at some points I don't even need the subtitles and it pops up as english in my mind automatically. but some of these crazed responses I see online are just baka. they treat the character like it's real and would walk out the stage door if they waited long enough...

The general public of this country will never understand the Vocaloid/Miku Hatsune craze. Unless you're heavily into anime or Japanese pop culture, it will be just a weird gimmick on this side of the world. I'm not a huge Miku fan but a fan nonetheless and seeing her on Letterman was painful because of the reaction.

You will only see this type of crowd in Japan or from real Miku fans in this country:

And I'm also enough of a fan to have this on preorder:

495f02bd75c1387a2ee04ccc755321e1.jpg

Attachments

• 495f02bd75c1387a2ee04ccc755321e1.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 32
    198.3 KB · Views: 39
    198.3 KB · Views: 38
    198.3 KB · Views: 47
    198.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also going to add that this is the second time Letterman has had a musical artist from the far east with a huge international following that the general American public knows nothing about. A few years ago, SNSD/Girls' Generation performed and the audience reaction was subdued like it was last night with Miku. If Letterman is going to continue to have these guests from overseas, I really, really hope he books BABYMETAL. They're popular enough to share the stage with the likes of Metallica and Slayer at various events around the world this past year. The audience reaction may be a little "different".

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back