Finally starting my Dredd helmet build!

Lucas Frost

Ok so I have finally gotten round to starting my helmet build, but I have a slight concern that the print offs might be too small and the plastic card I'm using might be too thick.

Also sorry for the lack of pic's my laptop is being repaired so had to post this on my phone and have no clue how to add pic's........ I feel a bit stupid now
WP_20141006_001.jpg
WP_20141006_002.jpg
WP_20141006_003.jpg

Last edited:
Well I have done all I can for today, need to grab some more plasticard tomorrow before I can finish all the cutting and move on to the assembly.
I'm still really worried that I may have messed up the pdf prints some how, they just look small-scale.
Any hints tip or criticism is welcome as this is my first try and I'm just running from refs.

Well I was right and the card is too thick

WP_20141007_001.jpg
Finally cut all the pieces out and began to bend and score the folds, the result was every tab snapping off

WP_20141007_002.jpg
I carried on without them and its proving a little tricky and time consuming but thankfully the plasticard is thick enough to be hot glued

WP_20141007_003.jpg
As much as it has failed so far, its turning out ok I think.

WP_20141007_004.jpg
What is constructed so far. Lots more to go but I'm finding it time consuming to do even the smallest thing

Ok so today after work I really knuckled down and got some work done.
In the process I must of glued my fingers to this this nearly 50 times and my fingertips are damn sore now.
But it was all worth it since it has shown me that the helmet is not too small and using thick plasticard was not a fail, it worked just fine.
Here are some pic's of what I got done tho eve
View attachment 386701

View attachment 386703

View attachment 386702

View attachment 386704

Feel free to comment people, its getting a little lonely here on this thread with just me

Ok so I'm all done with this first stage now, its all pieced together and looking good.
Now comes the time of bondo and resin, I think first I will apply a few layers of resin to the inside
To make it nice and sturdy before beginning the bondo layers and endless sanding.
But all that fun is to come next week

WP_20141009_004.jpg
Here it is awaiting resin and bondo

WP_20141009_001.jpg
And here it is on my head, forget the stupid beard I will be ridding myself of it soon

Can anyone recommend a good bondo substitute or similar filler to use as I'm having a little trouble tracking some bondo down around my area.

Can anyone recommend a good bondo substitute or similar filler to use as I'm having a little trouble tracking some bondo down around my area.
Where you based? Bondo is a USA brand name for polyester based car body filler. You can pick it up or a substiute in any auto store. Here in the UK the big one is Isopol P38. Upol do a good product too.

You might want to put a bit of fibreglass cloth inside the helmet when you resin it, it will make it that much more solid for applying bondo over the top.

Where you based? Bondo is a USA brand name for polyester based car body filler. You can pick it up or a substiute in any auto store. Here in the UK the big one is Isopol P38. Upol do a good product too.

You might want to put a bit of fibreglass cloth inside the helmet when you resin it, it will make it that much more solid for applying bondo over the top.

Cheers, I'm uk based and was wondering what the uk based equivalent was. Where would I be Abel to grab the glass fiber cloth from. Just an auto body place

As Nixon says above, Halfords have the lot.

I get the 2.1l tin of Upol stuff, I find it sands easier and its a good size tin for the price, there's nowt worse than running out once you get going with it.

Looking good so far.

Cheers guys. I have picked up a few things from a local car parts shop as Halfords was further away.

WP_20141010_001.jpg
Just need to pick up the P38 now.

Can someone give me a rough idea of how I use P38?

Last edited:
P38 is easy enough. You usually get a spreader with the tin, plop a golf ball sized dollop on a scrap of cardboard. Squeeze out a pea sized blob of hardener onto it. Fold it into the P38 with the spreader. The P38 is beige and the hardener is bright pink. Keep folding it over until the beige is a light and even pink. It shouldn't take more than a minute or so working quickly. Then use the spreader to spread it onto the surface as thin as you can. Don't over do the hardener or it will go off too quick. Once mixed you got about 10-15 minutes working time. Repeat until done.

Be sure to do it somewhere well ventilated, if you got a respirator use it, the fumes aint great.

Resin (fibreglass resin) your Dredd bucket inside and out until hard, at least two coats maybe a third.

Rondo the inside. Rondo is Bondo and Fibreglass Resin mixed 50/50. Forget fibreglass matt/sheet unless you like pain and suffering. Remember you're building a movie prop helmet, not a boat.

Bondo = Bog = P38 = Car body filler.....Apply to the outside.

Sand the entire outside until it is super smooth......This can take a weekend or 13 years.

Now paint your pride and joy.

Cheers for the tips, I will be continuing my build soon.

Just need to find the time as life and work got really busy all of a sudden.

I will update soon, once again cheers for the info

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back