Painting platinum silicone, help please

Sg2oo3

I am for the first time attempting to paint platinum silicone. I don't acctually know how so I looked it up and it says mix silicone chaulking with solvent and oil paint. So what does that mean? I can use the oil paints I already have for painting pictures mixed with what kind of solvents are acceptable? And the hardest part silicone chaulking? What's that? I looked it up and another website said you have to mix paints with only contractors silicone sold i. Huge $100 tubes i only need a little to paint a face? What is the cheapest silicone chaulking I can use? Links? Can I not just mix up some of the platinum silicone I already have ? Thanks!

If it's raw silicone the only thing that will stick to it is more silicone. Generally silicone caulking is used in conjunction with Tin silicones. I'm not familiar with any to use on platinum silicone.

There are a few ways to paint raw silicone.... You can use the same silicone and thin it with naphtha. You can also use something like Smooth-On's Psycho Paint system. They have their own thinner and I don't particularly like it. You can use naphtha with that too.
You could also paint it with skin illustrators, but you'd have to "clear coat" it with silicone. This is the weakest method as it can rub off fairly easily.

I've tried going the silicone caulking route, but have never had good results. I would recommend either using the same silicone you're casting with to paint with, or psycho paint. You can use oil colors with either with good effect.

The contractors caulk is likely a 100% pure silicone (see through). It is tin-cure and you might have trouble getting it to stick to the platinum silicone.You can buy it in the States for around $5 or $6 homeowners' size.

Tested on youtube has a video with Frank Ippolito where he demonstrates some silicone painting tecniques here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPS-W6YZFb4

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back