Blade Runner 'Lobster' Spinner Scratch Build

Collektor

Its been a while since I did either a kit or a scratch build, so I decided to try my hand at scratch building the lobster spinner from Blade Runner. I chose it for two reasons, one its the first spinner you see in the film, and two nobody seems to make a kit of it. I found a few decent size reference photos of the studio used model, and worked off of those. I had to take a few liberties with the design/build to account for where there were no images of certain parts, and where I was unable to reproduce parts.

The whole thing is built up from .40 and .20 styrene sheets, sections of square plastruct strips, and a couple sets of plastruct ladders. The only kitbashed parts are the two cowlings between the air intakes and the forward antigravity pods, which came off a 1/72 panzer kit I had left over. The build took a little over a week to cut and assemble, then another day or so to add all the detail panels and greeblies.

The studio photos show a pretty basic airbrushed weathering, but since this is a static model that is going to be seen clearly for more than 4 seconds of film, I opted for a more detailed weathering approach. I primed the model using Createx black paint, then went over it with a red oxide paint that gave it a good rust/primer look. When this had dried, I shot it with a light coat of Tamiya flat clear, then using a small sponge and some water I applied a salt chipping to areas of the spinner that would get wear and tear. I mixed Golden Yellow, with red oxide and a bit of white to increase the opacity of the color as the first test showed the golden yellow to be too transparent.

I then gave the whole model several coats of the golden yellow mix building it up slowly. The only thing I didn't like about using the Createx paint was it dries to a really hard finish (even harder if you hit it with some heat while its drying, but this being styrene I didn't want to risk melting or warping it), which meant I had to use a bit more pressure with the toothbrush to get the salt off the model once the paint was cured. It did give a pretty good paint chipping effect, but in my opinion I think the salt chipping works better with the Tamiya paints than with the Createx.

Once the model was cleaned of the salt, I added a little more grime using some pastels here and there. For the silver scratches I took a Prismacolor silver pencil and just ran it over the edges and high spots, as well as a few other points to reveal some bare metal. After applying a few decals I sealed it with another coat of flat clear and installed the front headlights on the pods. Those were made by taking strips of clear polyester plastic sheet that were heated and bent around a rod and inserted in the front of the pods. Before installing them, I shot the inside surface of the strips with flat white.

This was a fun build to work on, and even though I wasn't able to get to 100% screen accurate I feel that I achieved a look and build consistent with the film used model.

On to the pictures,

spinnerLFT.jpg
spinnerRTB.jpg
spinnerRTB02.jpg
spinnerRTF.jpg
spinnerRTF02.jpg
spinnerSCALE.jpg

Fantastic! Where the hell did you even find pictures of this thing; I've never seen it before. I saw one of the other background Spinner miniatures at COSI in Columbus, OH years ago, part of a special effects exhibit with a lot of Boss Films models--things from Blade Runner, Firefox and Ghostbusters. Never seen that one though!

Excellent build, Collektor! You've probably seen these, but ref on this spinner is so scarce I thought I'd post anyway. They're taken from Doug Trumbull's site (obviously).

yellowcar.jpgyellocar2.jpg

Excellent build, Collektor! You've probably seen these, but ref on this spinner is so scarce I thought I'd post anyway. They're taken from Doug Trumbull's site (obviously).

View attachment 384577View attachment 384576
Thanks, yeah those would be the ones I worked off of. I think I had one other from a Japanese site, but that was more just a line drawing/sketch, but it did help with getting the base forms defined.
lobster spinner.gif
Came from this blog site:
http://1608site.blog38.fc2.com/blog-entry-120.html

Awesome build! It's actually a funny story because I was about to scratch build this three weeks ago but I abandoned it due to lack of reference material. But awesome job! Although I may attempt to do a build of it in studio scale.

I think I found what the Lobster Spinner was based off. It's from a Syd Mead painting. If you look at the overall shape it looks very similar. Syd-Mead5.jpg

Very cool. I will have to admit I have never seen anyone do this one yet. Like you said it is the first vehicle seen in the film too. Love it, and looks incredible at that scale.

Andy

Good find! I've never seen this Mead painting before. But I think you're spot on, the front end design is pretty much identical.
Thanks. What is interesting about the painting Syd designed it so people would go inside the "claws" of the lobster. I wonder what other models trumbull made for Blade Runner besides the truck, the alfa Romeo, and the lobster.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back