The Official V4 Info and Instructions Depot™

I'm excited to see people posting on this thread and am looking forward to seeing peoples builds coming together. I've identified all the parts on my Red-2 build except these. Can anyone help?
20150104_103124.jpg

Those hold the armature cover when the wings are open. Basically those parts will be the plug that goes between the armature "arms" in the center. Should hold it together with a friction fit so you can remove it when you want to close the wings.

Awesome! Thanks, Moffeaton. Well, look at that...I'm having FUN learning new things. I should probably go download more reference pictures now...

My suggestion for the little things like that is to just have fun with the kit, a standard build of this kit nicely painted and weathered may not be a super accurate chip for chip replica but will build to a very respectable looking x wing, and IMO i keep the price point low enough for a studio model that's something you should build and enjoy. I know that is a controversial statement for the studio scale section in some ways but i am not getting any younger and i am trying to adopt that philosophy a bit for myself. mike

It's amazing to me that modelers created these ships so many years ago and people are still trying to replicate them down to the last infinitesimal detail. Who knows why those little chips were added in certain places on each model? Creative expression? Hiding a mistake? Slip of an exacto blade? I don't know any better, so don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not trying to point out shortcomings. Mike, I appreciate your comment/philosophy more than you know - sometimes it's important to enjoy what you're doing, maybe seize the moment, than to get hung up on a minor detail. I think about these things while building and I like to think of what was going on in the modeler's mind as they found or decided on a piece from a kit. Was it calculated from years of building experience, or was it a eureka moment when they found the perfect, believable piece to fill an empty space? Thanks for your time and effort. I'm sure this kit will provide many months of fun! And it's hard to put a price on that!!!

I kind of figured out what those blocks were on mine when I studied the filming models like this Red 3 (see pic). The hinge plates don't seem to be at the same angle as the wings, or maybe not...I can't exactly tell from this pic what angle the plates are at. What do you guys think? Could it have been the hero model method to keep wings open also?

Those hold the armature cover when the wings are open. Basically those parts will be the plug that goes between the armature "arms" in the center. Should hold it together with a friction fit so you can remove it when you want to close the wings.

Attachments

• IMG_5722.jpg
    IMG_5722.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 241
Thanks Mike and Scott. So, is this the block piece here (circled) or is it supposed to be used to set the angle of the plates by using the V shaped cutout?
IMG_57222.jpg

This is what I think is happening with the block location. I didn't cut the block down yet, so it looks odd and they hinge covers don't sit right on the block. The hinge covers should be at a better angle when sitting into a cut down block.

I could be wrong. Jason and Mike should be able to confirm. It's my best guess as to what's happening there.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
I believe so yes!

Last time I made one, I made the parts from sheet styrene and taped the back sides to hinge...

L1080886.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The assembly compressed like a sideways "M" with the outermost strips glued to the armature "L" brackets.
L1090122.jpg

Pre-qualifier: I can machine things, I can TIG weld, I've fabricated some pretty complicated/precision things and I own and use an Iawata airbrush. That being said, I've unboxed and laid out all the V4 parts. I wonder if I haven't gotten in over my head? I bought this kit because from what I've read, this is "THE" x-wing kit to have. I count 146 parts (including landing gear). I've read many tutorials and keep referring back to Bigturc's V3 Red 5 build (I know it's not a V4, but this seems to be about the same as my skill level - at least I can hope!). I also appreciate Moffeaton's brief but precise instructions in this thread. I've never done a resin "garage" kit before, so I'm a little apprehensive about starting with the V4 - I don't want to screw anything up! I figure if I wait long enough, V4 builds will start popping up. For the time being, I started removing "flash" from all the parts - that should keep me busy for a week or two and for the most part, it's obvious what needs to be removed.

I'm holding off on removing flash from less obvious parts, like the canopy rails - I've seen some rails that include an "inner rail" and make a sort of "lip" for adding clear plastic. It seems most x-wing builds DO NOT have canopy glass to prevent camera glare. I also remember reading something about the angle of the rear "quarter windows". Any general suggestions for a novice x-wing builder to prevent me from messing up this beautiful kit?

Thanks!

Funny that you mention it .. I actually got it out this week end and installed magnets in the wings to hold them in place. Because I didn't want to glue them on the armature so that it would be easy to disassemble it if it needs to be moved! Check my build thread for some updates! Back to topic :)

Great idea Jason! Just wondering with the "M" shaped strips in there permanently are you able to close the wings flush? When I test fit my wings the L bracket closes completely, not allowing a space for a folding mechanism.

I believe mike meant this to be in there only with the wings open - as a plug. That's the problem they must have had in the movie too - that the wings won't close if the detail was in there, but you need the detail in there so you don't see the armature when open. There seems no other way to disguise that armature otherwise.
Great idea Jason! Just wondering with the "M" shaped strips in there permanently are you able to close the wings flush? When I test fit my wings the L bracket closes completely, not allowing a space for a folding mechanism.

I'm glad the subject of an armature has come up. I've got one of these kits on order from Mike as well and I've been wondering what the options are for mounting it. I see the armature that usaeatt2 posted, but does the kit come with a basic armature? What are different people using?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back