Starkiller / Galen Marek lightsaber - real Graflex parts, titanium....finally done!!!

3Tripnip

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, it's finally done.....I finished my Starkiller / Galen Marek lightsaber from The Force Unleashed! I started drawing this in CAD in 2008, and went through 3 versions to finally get this one done. I based my replica off of the original reference picture seen below. I ended up using brass at the back end of the saber since that's what was used in the game.

saber_zps634f4b59.jpg

After a TON if iteration / prototyping / etc etc etc, it is done. :) Here's some of what I used:

-Original real Graflex top tube and clamp. Yes, REAL Graflex parts. :) Don't feel bad, they were pretty beat up.
-Raw polished natural ruby as the 'crystal'
-Machined / EDM titanium parts, machined aluminum, brass, and a few 3D printed parts
-Display case made by 'kodofett' (purchased in 2008 in prep for this saber getting done), laser cut acrylic stand arms
-Custom plaque made by 'feezlenuts' here on the board (does an AWESOME job by the way)

.....still need Sam Witwer's autograph though, but hopefully that'll be resolved early next year in Toronto.... :)

Here are some pics of the finished saber. Enjoy!

WP_20141006_002.jpg

WP_20141006_004.jpg

WP_20141006_005.jpg

WP_20141006_006.jpg

WP_20141006_007.jpg

WP_20141006_008.jpg

WP_20141006_010.jpg

WP_20141006_011.jpg

WP_20141006_012.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Starkiller / Galen Marek lightsaber - real Graflex parts, titanium....finally don

Looks great and I like the use of a real Graflex. pretty neat how you incorporated the clamp too. Great work and very cool!

Re: Starkiller / Galen Marek lightsaber - real Graflex parts, titanium....finally don

Very nice! Is it static or will you be adding electronics as well?

Very nice! Is it static or will you be adding electronics as well?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm all about static hilts. I've done a few with electronics, but I like doing static ones better. :)

That looks absolutely stunning. Certainly the best starkiller I've seen.

Really? Why?

I guess because 99.9% of the time it will sit in a display case.....so I'd rather invest the $$$ that I normally would in electronics in the materials and finish of the saber. Plus, I remember seeing the set of Icons sabers when I was little, and fell in love with the museum / static quality of them. :)

That looks absolutely stunning. Certainly the best starkiller I've seen.

Thanks for the kind words! I tried to make this the highest quality saber I could. I'll try to take some better photos tomorrow. :thumbsup

That's understandable, adding a soundboard etc. can get real expensive real fast, but you always have the option of just adding accent LEDs in the crystal chamber and emitter if you want if it is only going to be handled %1 of the time. I just really love props that light up so I'm biased, lol!

I guess because 99.9% of the time it will sit in a display case.....so I'd rather invest the $$$ that I normally would in electronics in the materials and finish of the saber. Plus, I remember seeing the set of Icons sabers when I was little, and fell in love with the museum / static quality of them. :)

Thanks for the kind words! I tried to make this the highest quality saber I could. I'll try to take some better photos tomorrow. :thumbsup

LED in the crystal chamber does look nice on some replicas, for sure. :)

That's indeed impressive ... most impressive I should add ... and I love the use of vintage parts :)

Chaim

This is an intricate saber, one that I'm unfamiliar with. To my eyes, I would think that came from master replicas, nice work!

Yeah I'm not familiar with the source material that saber came from, but it's one of the cooler ones I've seen - probably because I love me a Graflex. Nice work!

Nice! Somewhere this is posted to a camera collecting site and they have you on a wanted poster. :lol

I was wondering that myself - I thought one was used, but then I see the back plate and emitter are all one piece. Magic?

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering that myself - I thought one was used, but then I see the back plate and emitter are all one piece. Magic?

Whoops, apparently I originally posted this in the wrong section, sorry about that.

Thanks for all the feedback! The lighting in my office was pretty bad, so I took some better photos and updated the first post. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Wow...:eek
That's great. A really nice saber.
You said the Graflex parts were beaten up but they don't look beaten up.
May I ask how you've cleaned them up?

Wow...:eek
That's great. A really nice saber.
You said the Graflex parts were beaten up but they don't look beaten up.
May I ask how you've cleaned them up?

Thanks! :thumbsup The cleanup involved a lot of soaks in solvent, some welding, buffing, and a lot of scotchbrite finishing. :)

Wow, you should create a "Restore your Graflex" tutorial. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back