Tips for making an armature

Laura28

Hi there,

I am wondering what type of wire and what gauge to use for sculpting onto? I will use super sculpey. I've seen people say galvanised wire, or jewellery wire? But it needs to be very strong and stiff and bent with pliars.

Also do people generally get a wooden base and then somehow drill a hole and place the armature wire through so you can have both hands free and have a sturdy base?

I'd really appreciate any help, thanks a bunch

Your best bet is aluminium wire, some hobby stores carry it but the internet is always an option for getting spools of them, it's soft enough to bend by hand (if low gauge enough) or by pliers and sturdy to last for a while. Gauge is all to preference, for me, I like using something a little bit thicker but that's just me.

Bases are optional but you can easily convert a baker's lazy susan to your liking or make a simple one with a bit of wood and hole through it. Again, it's optional but it never hurts to have something that allows you to use both hands.

For a base, I just used a scrap piece of wood. I drilled holes big enough for the wire and then screwed in a screw at an angle to wedge the wire into the wood.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back