1:1 Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Power Axe Buld

Bob Rosland

Last year, I set out to make a full set of 1:1 scale Power Weapons from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Due to time and financial constraints, it still hasn't been finished, but I'm hoping it will be done by November for a convention I'm attending.

Here's a picture from the Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger Encyclopedia of the axe for those of you that may not be too familiar with it.

15400350661_cae876c309_c.jpg

I started out by drawing some blueprints. This is a "pretty" version that I made to be sold as prints, but I used the same drawings that I used for the build.

15380784356_7b4691773f_z.jpg

The entire thing started out as just a huge mass of MDF. I was going to do all of the shaping, bevels, and details on this piece and then cut the front chunk off to separate the two halves. After I got to this stage, all projects were put on hold for a few months. I came back to it earlier this year and realized how ridiculous this initial idea was and scrapped it.

8730323580_47f13f14a1_z.jpg

I pretty much remade the entire thing in a day and I didn't get any progress photos of that process, but here is the 'revised' version of the main body. Everything was pieced together using 1/4" MDF and a couple chunks of a 2x4 because that's what I had laying around. That curved bottom piece was made by kerf cutting a long strip of that MDF. It worked out pretty well.

14074825496_9d0a3edbe6_z.jpg

Here's the grip/axe blade attached to the body with two metal pins. None of the large parts will be permanently attached because I plan to mold them later. The wood dowel that I was using the the handle/barrel was replaced with a PVC pipe because the dowel had actually started to warp and PVC is just easier to finish anyway. You also get an internal view of the sliding piece here. Just another chunk of PVC with a larger diameter.

14671505775_9d45247ac9_z.jpg

After this point, I decided it was time to start doing some of the heavy shaping, which required that the hollow MDF body be filled with something so that the whole thing didn't collapse. I filled the piece with expanding insulation foam one evening and came out to check on it the next morning to find that the entire thing had pretty much exploded. I didn't get any pictures of that disaster because I just went into panic mode. I ripped the foam out and salvaged most of the build.

This next picture is just of some filling and sanding on the blade/handle. This was initially constructed from a piece of 3/4" MDF sandwiched between two pieces of 1/4" MDF to give me the proper thickness and the bevels were just made with a 45 degree router bit. Simple stuff! I really like this picture because, even though it's still pretty early in the filling process, a lot of the edges were already coming out super-clean and crisp.

15212671550_5e835edbee_c.jpg

These next two pictures were taken last night. Up until now, I've never taken pictures that really show the scale of the build, so that's why myself and my ghostly complexion made an appearance. To give you a better idea of just how big this thing is, I'm 6'2"

There's still a ton of work left to do, but it's crunch time now so there's always massive progress at the end of each day. I'll get some close-up pictures of the curves and whatnot tonight.

15212670080_0a099bc2d3_z.jpg

15212729888_f8a5170478_z.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back