Studio scale snowspeeder

morsesith21

Sr Member
Hey everyone. I am beginning what will be my third completed scratch built project. This will be my second Snowspeeder. Though the model is in the same scale as the Rogue leader model built by ILM, I listed this thread in the general modeling section because The detailing will be completely scratch built and therefore won't be exactly accurate. With this build I do intend to make the speeder closer to the original models than my first attempt.

One main feature I wish to correct is the machine piece in between the air brake and laser cannon boxes. The ones on my first speeder are visibly too small. I don't know why I didn't notice it earlier. The next ones will hopefully be more accurate.
newspeeder.png
I began by doing some crude specs to determine the size and shapes. I then cut the basic shapes of the wings and cockpit section, as well as the base for the rear. I attached the rear and cockpit section to the block of wood that will serve as the mount. The pictures below show the panels where I have started filling in the details.
IMG_3339.JPGIMG_3341.JPGIMG_3342.JPGIMG_3340.JPGIMG_3344.JPGIMG_3337.JPGIMG_3338.JPG

Not a very big update. Just been finalizing the panels and how they fit. From that I am building a template. I have a few different people who want commissions so I am actually building about 5 of these. Work has been going a little slow as I have been taking my time to get it as close as I can. As I said it won't be perfect but they will be to scale.

IMG_3361.JPGIMG_3362.JPGIMG_3363.JPGIMG_3364.JPGIMG_3365.JPG

Here's a couple pictures of the panels put together. They are held together with tape in these pics so it is not seamless. I'm still just making sure everything goes together ok.

IMG_3369.JPGIMG_3368.JPGIMG_3366.JPGIMG_3370.JPG

Great progress,looking forward to this and hope you'll change your mind to add accurate donor kit:thumbsup

Don

I know that many studio scale folks require this, but honestly, as a former studio model maker myself, we always just grabbed what was available, and what we thought looked good. Even when we had to attempt to replicate a pre-existing miniature, what mattered was how it read on screen. This is especially important when donor parts are not available (for whatever reason.)

That is some incredible work. Ive never tried to scartchbuild an existing design like this..how do you make the basic frame parts? are there plans or drawings somewhere? or did you have to take measurements from a kit?

Thank you very much for the compliment. I worked out some basic blueprints using reference photos and a picture from the making of the empire strikes back book which lists the basic measurements. I have taken a little bit of a break from the model as I have been gathering more information and specifications on the model. I have received a lot of help from Helio(Telepathic) who has built several speeders himself and knows the model very well. I will resume work on this after the holidays and after I finish another side project that I am building for a friend. He's making a star wars fan film and is actually using models. He has a shot where an imperial shuttle gets hit with a torpedo so I am building a quick pyro shuttle tydirium which will be blown up! Fun stuff!:D

We're building one too. I need to start a new topic feed for it. I think it might be a little bigger than studio scale. ;)

Here's what we did last night just creating some test pattern panels out of cardboard to confirm the dimensions are right. So far so good. Looking forward to Christmas break so we can put some real hours into to get it ready for SW Celebration 2015.

T47 1.JPGT47 3.JPGT47 4.JPG
Our fearless Aggie test pilot.

Next step is to get a quick frame under the cardboard panels to confirm all the angles match up.

Last edited:
We're building one too. I need to start a new topic feed for it.

Here's what we did last night just creating some test pattern panels out of cardboard to confirm the dimensions are right. So far so good. Looking forward to Christmas break so we can put some real hours into to get it ready for SW Celebration 2015.

View attachment 416613View attachment 416614View attachment 416615
Our fearless Aggie test pilot.

Next step is to get a quick frame under the cardboard panels to confirm all the angles match up.

That is FREEKIN AWSOME! I'm gonna be down at celebration 2015 so I will definitely look out for this. How are you gonna get it down here from Texas? If you say fly it I swear Im gonna die!:eek

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back