HELP! Question about EL Wire...

Keelan562

Hey everyone!

I have a quick question about EL wire that I'm hoping some of you may be able to shed some light on. This being my first experience using EL wire I got a basic starter kit, and everything is working fine, but I have one gripe about it; The wire is supposed to be orange. Now, the wire casing/sleeve is certainly orange, but the phosphor part of the wire looks to be glowing a pale blue. Is this due to the fact that the phosphor is actually white and shines through clean and is considered "normal", or should I look into getting a new wire? It reads fairly okay through a camera, but to the naked eye it just looks off and is a tad annoying.

Advice, anyone?

the inner wire(phosphorus) should be white like your scanner (it uses el wire too) , I would think that maybe you are underdriving the inverter since el uses a/c, being underdriven will make the wire look blue. That's about all my knowledge of el wire/

Normally you should have another florescent dye layer inside the wire to help colour the light output, sounds like this is missing on yours. Best bet is to tint the outer of the wire, orange dye or marker pens? Overdriving the wire will cause it to fail earlier but will give you more brightness, this is how the "tron dance" guys get the brightness on thier costumes.

scanners use a cold cathode which is similar but solid. I have yet to see any el wire with a "doped" core, and all the stuff i have used relies on a colored jacket. Its annoying, especially with colors like "UV" purple and reds. I know its not much help but just lettin you know you arent alone in your stuff or frustration

Normally you should have another florescent dye layer inside the wire to help colour the light output, sounds like this is missing on yours. Best bet is to tint the outer of the wire, orange dye or marker pens? Overdriving the wire will cause it to fail earlier but will give you more brightness, this is how the "tron dance" guys get the brightness on thier costumes.

Yeah, going over the wire with another layer of orange is what I was thinking I may have to do, so I'm glad my thinking wasn't too far off.

- - - Updated - - -

... just lettin you know you arent alone in your stuff or frustration

Much appreciated, buddy. :):thumbsup

Sounds like the colored jacket is kinda weak if you are still seeing the center of the wire (the phosphor) look blue. I use coolneon's high bright wire and it's really bright and the colors are pretty good. I use their "red" wire, but it looks like a nice deep orange.

Sounds like the colored jacket is kinda weak if you are still seeing the center of the wire (the phosphor) look blue. I use coolneon's high bright wire and it's really bright and the colors are pretty good. I use their "red" wire, but it looks like a nice deep orange.

NICE!

I'm gonna try going over the current wires with another layer of color and see if that'll work okay. If not (or in addition to working on additional units for the project down the line) I'll be sure to look into coolneon. Thanks for the tip!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back