My first attempt at sculpting.. =D

Laura28

Hi folks,

So I had a go for the first real time, as I have plans to make bigger items and need lots of practice, obviously this is nowhere near as awesome as some of the brilliant sculpts here, but we gotta start somewhere =). I figured a Mystic, though detailed is a fairly good shape to start with, plus I absolutely love The Dark Crystal, so urSu the master it is.

Tips, tricks, constructive criticism very welcome!

I will post updates as I do different items for practice and can mark my progress or regression lol

=D

photo 3 (3).JPGphoto 2 (8).JPG

Thank you!
Yeah it's super sculpey and just been using plastic items for shaping and detail, got some good quality tools coming soon. Is there anything you can recommend that every beginner needs?
I'm really enjoying learning :)

I've just made my first attempt at The Worm, he's been baked and I was wondering if anyone could advise on how to smooth him out? which sandpaper or type of file would people recommend for this sort if thing?
much appreciated =D

Great sculpt! I immediately recognised it as one of the mystics, before reading your post.

As someone who is also fairly new to sculpting, I can thoroughly recommend getting a few rubber clay shapers. They look like paint brushes but with rubber tips and come in a variety of shapes and grades of firmness. They are great for smoothing and softening harder lines and details left by metal and plastic tools and also good for adding small blobs of clay, especially to smaller sculpts such as yours.

Have fun!

photo 2 (9).JPG

My latest attempt, The Chamberlain!
his proportions are fairly off because calipers totally baffle me at this point in time, are these the best way to get things right?

Any tips on detailing? I find I carelessly just use pressure on tools for things like his wrinkles.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohh, glad you recognised him GROND!, that's a start!

Thanks so much for the tip! I'll get some of those, they sound really useful

Last edited:
I finished my Worm from Labyrinth, he's the first sculpt I've seen through to the end so far, with most I'm sort of doing them then squashing them and starting again. He's rough, but he was good fun. Can't seem to post a pic using the iphone page so will post one another time.
Not sure what to do next.. Any suggestions?
Just something relatively small.. Hmm

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back