Doctor Who opinions

Well, not to derail, but the solution to "James Bond is white" is simply "James Bond is also black, because 'James Bond' is a code name." It's basically the Dread Pirate Roberts approach to where there was, at one time, an actual "James Bond," but that he either died or became too high profile and retired, and instead they brought in a new person to be "James Bond" who looks completely different.

That could be said until Skyfall

At the end of Skyfall, Bond takes the battle with supervillain Silva to his own secret lair: the family mansion in the Scottish highlands (called Skyfall). There we briefly see the family cemetary, where we see the headstones of his parents, Andrew Bond and Monique Delacroix Bond. And so it is established, fully and once and for all, that James Bond is actually a guy named James Bond. It is not a name that is conferred by MI6, it is not a secret identity. It is simply a ****tily-hidden actual identity. All of the previous James Bonds were definitely the same guy, and all future post-Craig Bonds will still be the same guy.

It's worth noting that Bond's parents are canon from the books. In You Only Live Twice, there's an obituary for Bond written by M (echoed in Skyfall, by the way) and his parents are mentioned as being deceased. They were killed in a climbing accident, which I do not believe is mentioned in Skyfall. HIs aunt is mentioned in the film, though.
And so you have it. With a quick shot of a headstone one of the biggest continuity questions about the Bond series is cleared up. There will never be a movie where Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton swoop in to tell the current 007 how things were done in their days. It's just one guy, and it's always been just one guy.

J

That could be said until Skyfall

At the end of Skyfall, Bond takes the battle with supervillain Silva to his own secret lair: the family mansion in the Scottish highlands (called Skyfall). There we briefly see the family cemetary, where we see the headstones of his parents, Andrew Bond and Monique Delacroix Bond. And so it is established, fully and once and for all, that James Bond is actually a guy named James Bond. It is not a name that is conferred by MI6, it is not a secret identity. It is simply a ****tily-hidden actual identity. All of the previous James Bonds were definitely the same guy, and all future post-Craig Bonds will still be the same guy.

I agree that Craig and all the pre-Craig Bonds were the same guy, but you could change the series by continuing with "that guy" (whoever's playing him) plus expanding it to include other actors who aren't actually James Bond, but adopt the code name.

It's worth noting that Bond's parents are canon from the books. In You Only Live Twice, there's an obituary for Bond written by M (echoed in Skyfall, by the way) and his parents are mentioned as being deceased. They were killed in a climbing accident, which I do not believe is mentioned in Skyfall. HIs aunt is mentioned in the film, though.
And so you have it. With a quick shot of a headstone one of the biggest continuity questions about the Bond series is cleared up. There will never be a movie where Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton swoop in to tell the current 007 how things were done in their days. It's just one guy, and it's always been just one guy.

J

Yeah, I know. And the movies have dealt with this to some extent, too. This is nothing new. In OHMSS, they make note of his Scottish ancestry. At the start of Diamonds Are Forever, it's implied that Bond is searching for Blofeld in revenge for Tracy's death -- and that's Connery. In For Your Eyes Only, the opening features Roger Moore looking at Tracy Bond's gravestone. In Licence to Kill, Leiter remarks that Bond was married once. So presumably all these guys have been Bond. That's never really been in dispute. I'm just saying that merely because there's one James Bond (arguably, the real James Bond) doesn't preclude there being further "James Bonds."

Again, the original Dread Pirate Roberts is said to be off living a comfortable retirement, and there've been at least 3-4 before Westley takes over the role. So, while you can certainly start with the true original (played by different characters), there's nothing preventing you from branching out from there.

Ok.. back on the subject of the Doctor regenerating into a female... if I'm not mistaken, he did so once before during the Tom Baker days... it didn't last long but I merely mentioned it as a matter of possible story arcs. Here we got a Timelord who has always been a guy (mostly) and he finally regerates into a woman... a completely new sensation and new set of rules. I can see him not only talking his way out of a situation, but also using his new found feminine wiles to get away with stuff he never could before. Perhaps keep a female companion for a short time to show him the ropes of coping as a woman then bring in a male companion and/or a child and show off the motherly side of the Doctor. Could open up a whole new aspect of the Doctor storyline that would make things quite interesting. Perhaps he's a guy trapped in a girl body, still acting like a guy and getting alot of strange responses from those around him everytime he adjusts or scratches because it's not ladylike. I mean hey, if the Master can do it, so can the Doctor right?

Yeah, I know. And the movies have dealt with this to some extent, too. This is nothing new. In OHMSS, they make note of his Scottish ancestry. At the start of Diamonds Are Forever, it's implied that Bond is searching for Blofeld in revenge for Tracy's death -- and that's Connery. In For Your Eyes Only, the opening features Roger Moore looking at Tracy Bond's gravestone. In Licence to Kill, Leiter remarks that Bond was married once. So presumably all these guys have been Bond. That's never really been in dispute. I'm just saying that merely because there's one James Bond (arguably, the real James Bond) doesn't preclude there being further "James Bonds."

Again, the original Dread Pirate Roberts is said to be off living a comfortable retirement, and there've been at least 3-4 before Westley takes over the role. So, while you can certainly start with the true original (played by different characters), there's nothing preventing you from branching out from there.

The simplest way of doing that would be to establish going forward all agents that receive the 007 designation will also adopt the code name of James Bond in order to better protect their friends and family.

Bond being just a code name is such a great idea but I think that the new movies, especially The Dark Bond, I mean, Skyfall, ruined that what with Bond Manor and in the next movie Bond and Blofeld sharing a dad.

As for Dr. Who, it's all so far gone now it doesn't even matter anymore. The Doctor can communicate with doors to make them unlock themselves, so if that can happen, why can't the Doctor regenerate into a door, let alone a woman, or some other alien that isn't bipedal? Honestly, any implication of structure set up in the classic series was thrown out with the bath water ages ago.

Last edited:
Bond being just a code name is such a great idea but I think that the new movies, especially The Dark Bond, I mean, Skyfall, ruined that what with Bond Manor and in the next movie Bond and Blofeld sharing a dad.

Literally every Bond has had something to refute the code name theory save Brosnan. Lazenby reminiscences about Connery's missions, Connery is seeking revenge for Lazenby's dead wife, Moore visits Lazenby's wife's grave with flowers, Dalton's past is partially revealed by Felix. Etc.

In fact there are some Brosnan moments that you could view as refuting as well.

I like that the Craig films have reinforced this, if Bond isn't one guy then he's no longer special.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

The simplest way of doing that would be to establish going forward all agents that receive the 007 designation will also adopt the code name of James Bond in order to better protect their friends and family.

:lol

That would literally be the dumbest thing a spy agency could do!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

So instead of speed we could call it time.

And Sandra Bullock could be is companion! I can see it now... "You've got a billion Daleks on the left bearing down on you... a billion Cybermen on the right doing the same... you're stuck in the middle with a sonic screw driver and a piece of psychic paper... what do you do? What do you do??"

Interesting news, Peter Capaldi has been asked to stay until the eleventh series at least, but hasn't decided whether or not he will yet. What do you think? He's a great doctor, but should he go with Steven Moffat or carry on over?

Interesting news, Peter Capaldi has been asked to stay until the eleventh series at least, but hasn't decided whether or not he will yet. What do you think? He's a great doctor, but should he go with Steven Moffat or carry on over?

He should ABSOLUTELY carry over! I really don't feel like he's had his best run as the Doctor with Moffat. The first season was uneven and took too long to establish his character. the second season was hampered by a Clara who should have been gone. He hasn't had a chance to really define himself independent of anything that came before, and I'd really love to see what he'd do with the character if given a chance to play it without the millstones of previous iterations of the show round his neck.

Capaldi had better stay. I really hope all this talk of wanting to explore other projects and move on is really just all about not getting on with Moffett. I think he can bring a fire and intensity to the Doctor while still have a lot of dry humor could be the best thing that this show has seen in a long while.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back