Doctor Who opinions

...His relationship with Bill is the saving grace of this series...
I'm not yet sold on Bill. I like Pearl Mackie, but the writers barely give her anything to do except for looking clueless and asking questions so the Doctor can answer them and look brilliant. It's as if the writers read all of our complaints about Clara Oswald taking over the show and decided to go in the exact opposite direction with Bill by having her tag along but do very little.

I was not really expecting too much since it is the last season for both of them but I'm happily surprised at how good it has been so far. I also like the mix of Earth and off world episodes.

I'm gonna wait til the season is finished and then probably binge it. There are enough other shows on lately that I'm really enjoying, and I have to say that watching last season was more like watching my phone and occasionally looking up to see what's happening on screen. That's how bored I'd grown with the show. So while it's encouraging to hear that things have improved, I'm still kind of burned out on the show as a whole.

What's that you say? There's a new thing-we-do-at-the-end-of-each-episode-to-suggest-a-bigger-thing-that-will-dominate-the-end-of-the-season?

How Moffaty!

(Still haven't started watching this season.)
They could leave the vault out entirely and we'd have somewhat of a throw back to older Who.

Isn't that what the companions are supposed to do? That's what they did in the old series.

Exactly. Companions are focus characters for the audience to live vicariously through. They exist to ask all of the questions that the audience wants to know. This is about the Doctor, not about the companions.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna wait til the season is finished and then probably binge it. There are enough other shows on lately that I'm really enjoying, and I have to say that watching last season was more like watching my phone and occasionally looking up to see what's happening on screen. That's how bored I'd grown with the show. So while it's encouraging to hear that things have improved, I'm still kind of burned out on the show as a whole.

I actually, reluctantly, sat down last night and watched all of the episodes so far for this season, my wife wanted to and it was Mother's Day, so what are you going to do? It was certainly a lot better than previous Moffat seasons but I'm not completely sold. I figure that I'll just throw it into our regular rotation, even though I said I was done with the show until Moffat was gone. My wife is going to want to watch it and I might as well appease her.

I just like the way its seen a reduction in the over the top and completely and utterly ridiculously contrived moments, its as if the volume level has been turned down from overbearing eleven to pleasantly listenable seven. And I very much like the Doctor as a teacher often relaxing in his study ,and Bill has to ask alot of questions to ask there because she is a new student (and one without a lot of highly technical skills ) and is consequently often well out of her depth.
It takes me back to the Doctor of my childhood, where the companion is no real competition for a Timelord with centuries of experience and knowledge , be they female or male, and they act as a kind of surrogate viewer. Thus Doctor then gets to remain the focus of our attention and for once it pays to listen to the dialogue between them, because its often quite sharp , it informs the plot and is generally quite normal.
Oh and the actress hotly tipped to replace Capaldi has catagorically denied she will be the next .

I do have a big concern after the last show. It seems like his Sonic was either damaged or destroyed which I would hate since it has only been used for 2 Christmas and 5 regular season episodes. They also showed him wearing sunglasses that looked like the sonic glasses from when his last sonic was destroyed and I'm hoping he was only wearing them because of the problem with his eyes.

Well, he has gone blind and he had a load of others on his desk.

I just like the way its seen an overall reduction in the over the top and completely ridiculous plot missteps and moments, its as if the volume level has been turned down from overbearing hyperactive and screaming eleven to a pleasantly listenable and sensible seven.
I very much like the Doctor as a teacher thinking aloud in his study , casually dispencing wisdom. If Bill has to ask alot of questions its because she is a new student (and one without a highly technical education ) and is consequently very often well out of her environment and depth.
It does takes me back to the Doctor of my childhood, where the companion is no real competition for a Timelord with centuries of knowledge and experiences, be they either female or male, and they always acted as a kind of surrogate viewer on the adventures. Thus the Doctor then gets to remain the focus of our attention and demonstrate his abilites and for once it pays to listen to the dialogue, because its got quite alot sharper, clever and necessary to the story.
And the "scary" element ,though mild by todays standards, makes a welcome return.
Oh and the actress hotly tipped to replace Capaldi (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) has catagorically denied she will be the next Timelord (but then she would, wouldn't she) .

I just watched the last episode. I didn't care for the voice over in the beginning it seemed pointless. And all the talk about the vault at the beginning and end is starting to get on my nerves. I can't imagine that the new sonic is gone. He hasn't had it long enough.

Thank you Moffat for not disappointing me by disappointing me..

Isn't that what the companions are supposed to do? That's what they did in the old series.
I haven't seen much of the "old" series, so I really don't know how the companions behaved. In the "new" series (i.e., 2005 to now) the companions have generally been more proactive to varying degrees...until now, that is. Now, I realize most people traveling with The Doctor would probably behave the way Bill is, being amazed and confused by what she's experiencing. And in that capacity she definitely is a surrogate for the audience. But it doesn't make for particularly entertaining television.

I do have a big concern after the last show. It seems like his Sonic was either damaged or destroyed which I would hate since it has only been used for 2 Christmas and 5 regular season episodes. They also showed him wearing sunglasses that looked like the sonic glasses from when his last sonic was destroyed and I'm hoping he was only wearing them because of the problem with his eyes.
Jeez, I had forgotten about the Sonic Sunglasses. I don't really like the new Screwdriver design so I don't care about it being damaged or destroyed, but I hope they're not going back to the Sunglasses.

Last edited:
This is a problem that's come up before with injury/medical problems: He has a time machine and can go anywhere - there's no way he doesn't know of a place that can cure blindness or replace his eyes.
Heck, if I was offered the chance to go with The Doctor, first thing (before any adventures or sight-seeing in history) I'd want to go to a future Hospital/medical centre than can fix my back, hip, knees, short leg, sinuses, eyesight, hearing, and cure my allergies.

...Heck, if I was offered the chance to go with The Doctor, first thing (before any adventures or sight-seeing in history) I'd want to go to a future Hospital/medical centre than can fix my back, hip, knees, short leg, sinuses, eyesight, hearing, and cure my allergies.
That's not a bad idea; I could use a few new parts myself.

At first I wasn't liking the last episode but it got better at the end. Again I don't think that they need a long reaching plot to tie it all together. And I think from now on I'm going to refer to Missy as the Rani. Makes more sense in my head.

Great episode!

But, where did the book come from? Why on Earth would there be a document in the Vatican library that lets everyone in on the secret.

Ahh moffat

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've got to admit It had elements in it again that made me cringe ( a thousand years in prison in a box that looked very like the one that the Doctor (Matt) was put in by all his enemies a few series back) and the executioners that "ran away". And the Pope visiting and nobody guessing the Doctor is blind? Typical Moffat.
BUT it was saved towards the end by the overall strong performance by the characters and the reveal.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back