Doctor Who opinions

I think the cup of sonics is meant to indicate all the iterations of the Doctor that were using the office at the university. Those were 'their' sonics, placed in the cup while they were off doing something else on earth/around campus - as if that office was a nexus where they all crossed paths in some way. This would explain why even the ones we've seen destroyed were present, as they hadn't been destroyed - yet.

Bill remarks, something to the effect, that "the Doctor" has been lecturing there "for fifty years or something." This would fit with all of them coming and going in and out of this timeline as they 'travel'.

It seems likely, as all versions were present (even the Eccleston/Tennant variants) - except 12's (he's got it on him) and the War Doctor's, who would not have visited the university.

The flip of that though is I can understall all docs having a Susan pick on their desk. However, only 3 of them knew River. If they were all using the office, 10 would have said something like, i've got your picture on my desk and i have no idea why!

I loved the cup of Sonics, I wonder how long it will take until someone makes this for themselves, and yes the first thing I thought of when I saw the creature was the water creatures on Mars.

I liked this episode and hope the rest of the season is as good.

Looked to me like the cup was full of Character Options sonics. Agree?

Looked to me like the cup was full of Character Options sonics. Agree?

I agree. There is no reason for them to make Sonics for that one scene and we know they have used Character Options Sonics in the past. It is possible though that they might have used one of their 11 Sonics or even used TWC versions of 10 and 11.

First episode was okay- it felt more like an hour long trailer then anything. Which isn't necessarily bad, it set up Bill nicely. Did anyone else have trouble understanding her? I mean, I'm American, but I watch a lot of British shows and things, but something about her accent is just difficult to understand.
I did have a little trouble understanding her at first, but that was probably due more to the fact that I had the volume low because my wife was sleeping in the next room and I didn't want to disturb her. After 10-15 minutes it wasn't an issue, but near the beginning of the episode I did have to rewind it once or twice so I could catch what she said.

Overall, I thought it was a solid episode. Capaldi does seem to be giving it his all for his final season as The Doctor, and he and Pearl Mackie appear to have good chemistry. I'm still not sure exactly how Nardole fits into the picture, but Lucas and Capaldi also seem to have good "buddy" chemistry so I'm willing to go along for the ride. It was a promising season/series premiere, and I'm hoping Moffat doesn't screw it up.

I did have a little trouble understanding her at first, but that was probably due more to the fact that I had the volume low because my wife was sleeping in the next room and I didn't want to disturb her. After 10-15 minutes it wasn't an issue, but near the beginning of the episode I did have to rewind it once or twice so I could catch what she said.

Overall, I thought it was a solid episode. Capaldi does seem to be giving it his all for his final season as The Doctor, and he and Pearl Mackie appear to have good chemistry. I'm still not sure exactly how Nardole fits into the picture, but Lucas and Capaldi also seem to have good "buddy" chemistry so I'm willing to go along for the ride. It was a promising season/series premiere, and I'm hoping Moffat doesn't screw it up.

Maybe the accent will just take some getting used to. And yeah, I was surprised to like Nardole, I kind of hope they leave his character pretty ambiguous.

Well, another strong episode!!!!
I enjoyed this one too, for much the same reasons as the last. Clean, uncomplicated story which was surprisingly grim (the fertilizer and bone showers!!!) and Apple gleaming (where did they film it, it looked totally like a real location.)Couple of twists, some brilliant one liners and it just ticked all the boxes again!
Capaldi is really winning me over this series, he felt very Tom Bakerish at times and delivered some cracking lines, as did Pearl. As a lively, uncomplicated companion she is spot on for this and shes a great actress . If they both have to go at the end of this series it will be a great shame.
Kudos to the writer though, got his character story dead on in this, with just the Doctor and Bill learning about eachother within a not too wild and barmy mystery. Thouroughly enjoyable.

I liked this one too. I also like the fact that they are jumping all over in time and space and not everything revolves around earth even though the colonists were human. The previews for next weeks show looked interesting and I can't wait for it.

A bit late to the discussion, but I thought it was brilliant!! The most classically fun story in quite some time, imo. The Doctor and Bill: love their dynamic. I also liked Bill a lot better in this one, probably because it wasn't about her. And CAPALDI!!! I like him in S8, loved him in S9, and blown away by him so far in S10. And I saw on some other discussions that people didn't like that he 'fixed everything' with the sonic in this one... that's kind of what it's for. He used it as a tool. I'd give this episode a very solid 6.5/10!!

I have always enjoyed the different places that Doctor Who has filmed at over the years, including the quarries. You can't have a good alien landscape without a handy quarry.

All I can say is that from the buildup they have been giving whatever is in the vault, it better be good.

Please do Dan, I am surprised by how well this season has gone so far. Apart from last weeks haunted house wooden tops episode, which was ruined by the cop out ending I have to say they have managed the near impossible. I've actually started to look forward to Dr Who on a Saturday night again. Again last nights episode was very well written, with a some clever political messages written into a strong script that is really allowing Capaldi to find his stride now as one of the better doctors. His relationship with Bill is the saving grace of this series, and it seems to me the writers they have got back to do these have been the ones that were at least the best in the last. Liked the "Half -Life/2001" references in this one a lot.
I hasten to add next weeks sees the return of Missy and Moffats writing it so things may take a turn for the worse.

I note the likelihood of a female Dr has soared this morning with various leaks to the press.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back