Doctor Who opinions

Overall I liked this episode and never saw the reveal coming that it was all a simulation. I'm glad we finally know who is in the box and even though both of them were in essence prisons the two boxes really don't look anything alike other than they are boxes. I was also glad to see that his Sonic was not destroyed and even though his sunglasses appear to be similar to his Sonic Sunglasses he is not using them as a Sonic.

So, this weeks episode was a very clever prequel to "The Monster of Peladon" from 1974. I'd say Mark Gatiss knocked it out of the park this week. Just a fun hour of TV.

I smiled when I heard that voice at the end, I knew it was going to be Alpha Centauri! Fun Fact: They even got the original actress to do the voice.

Yeah, this has been (on the whole) a pretty good series because they have tended to play to the old classic Who formula. Where they reverted to recent type ie the last two episodes it was dogged by all the same old problems and it was poor, to say the least. It amazes me and saddens me a little its now at the end of the run ,we are seeing such a strong return to form. I will now be sorry to see Capaldi go, and that was not a statement I thought I would have said last year.

I haven't seen much of the "old" series, so I really don't know how the companions behaved. In the "new" series (i.e., 2005 to now) the companions have generally been more proactive to varying degrees...until now, that is. Now, I realize most people traveling with The Doctor would probably behave the way Bill is, being amazed and confused by what she's experiencing. And in that capacity she definitely is a surrogate for the audience. But it doesn't make for particularly entertaining television.
Some of the companions have been more independent, but not really assertive. Even when they were going off on their own they would end up deferring to the Doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like going "what are they doing with this series this year." I liked the first two episodes but hated the rest of them so far. They have elements that I like but overall the stories suck for me.
Bye bye Moffit....

I feel like going "what are they doing with this series this year." I liked the first two episodes but hated the rest of them so far. They have elements that I like but overall the stories suck for me.
Bye bye Moffit....

No matter how much Moffat might want to make good Doctor Who, he's still Steven Moffat. He can be a great writer, but as a showrunner, he's terrible.

How is it that Bill keeps getting hit on? Is it just so she can say she doesn't like men? How is this part of the plot? She likes women so what, it doesn't help the story. And she seems like a different character all of a sudden. It's like she's channeling Clara

No matter how much Moffat might want to make good Doctor Who, he's still Steven Moffat. He can be a great writer, but as a showrunner, he's terrible.
See, this is what I think, too.
I really liked some of Moffat's stories, but he needs someone overseeing him, who can say "That's going too far" or to tell him that "I don't know, but it sounds cool" is not an acceptable answer. (see also: Making up new Doctors and rewriting the regeneration sequence, thereby screwing up the numbering of the Doctors)
Also, you can't just let Gatiss write whatever he wants, then insist his League of Gentlemen friend gets cast, then let said friend insist 80's style specs are essential for a character in the future for no reason other than looking weird. Ssidebar: Gatiss? Reece Shearsmith was also a terrible choice to play Troughton. After the brilliant casting for everyone else in An Adventure in Space and Time ​he took me right out of the moment.

Having said that, I've really enjoyed some of the recent stories. Maybe that's because they've had more of a 'traditional' Who feel to them, maybe it's because I like Bill? Then again, we've not had one whole season of Bill (and might not get another) so Moffat hasn't had time to rewrite her backstory as some mystery that ties into the history of the Doctor/Universe/Reality, etc.

For a season that started so well it went down hill rather quickly. This could have done with some classic "Monty Python" "What did the Romans ever do for us" lines, which at one point I thought nearly happened . Dull as ditch water and just as filled with shyte.

Having watched Doctor Who in the 70's and 80's I have to say that the show has never really clicked with me since they brought it back. I just cannot put my finger on why. I know one thing that really upset me was when they decided to have alternate universe Cybermen (who keep showing up even though they supposedly made it impossible to for them to travel from their "universe"). I'm worried they are going to really screw it up when the real Cybermen make an appearance later on this season/series.

Now that's what the Master should look like.
141076.f57c555a-1f6e-474b-9db4-be2a75b62c38.jpg

I'm just waiting for the bit where The Master (Simm) confirms on-screen that Missy (Gomez) really and truly is his future incarnation.
Then I will bathe in the tears of the (sexist) babies that wanted to insist that Missy had to be The Rani, or Susan or Romana or any other female character because "The Master can't be a woman!"

Unless, of course, Moffat does pull a fast one, which he'd probably try to pass off as 'clever writing' but we all know is really making it up as he goes.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back